Lightning: Lucy Leitner

Posted (edited)

xdBERDa.png

May 24, 2024 - Houston, Texas

The drumming of a downpour drowns out the faint pulse of the radio as I pull to a stop at a darkened 4-way.  A flash of lightning floods the night with a flicker of white light before the darkness falls again.  The rain-battered road glistens and gleams in the glow of headlights as I creep forward and clear the intersection.  One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three-- a clap of thunder interrupts the count like a drunk percussionist pounding a timpani.  A clumsy decrescendo into a gurgle-grumble and the rain carries the tune like an out of time drum line playing the world's longest snare roll.  I reach over to the console and turn up the radio just as the chorus kicks in, a syncopated beat and a vocal melody cutting through the cacaphony... 

Until the light... 

It's been four days now without power after a severe storm blew through Houston, knocking over trees and power lines and plunging nearly a million people into the modern misery that is candlelight and cold showers-- unless, of course, you're among those with the means and foresight to have a generator on hand.  I was not.  If I'm being honest, there is something quaint about writing by candlelight and I've actually rather enjoyed burning the midnight oil, scribbling sooth under the glow of a dancing flame.  See, we can romanticize this... situation, though there's nothing romantic about a freezing cold shower, let me assure you.  

Crawling up my street now, I signal and turn right into my driveway, the blacked out porch to the left of the driveway is decidedly less inviting than the usual yellow glow that illuminates the front stoop.  Cutting the engine, I wait in my car for a moment, letting skydiving water droplets berate the roof, hood, and windscreen, hoping for a moment of respite. A bolt of lightning flashes in the rearview followed closely by a crack and rumble from the heavens.  This isn't ending anytime soon.  Taking the keys out of the ignition, the car's interior lights come on and I unplug my phone-- 89%.  Opening the door, it's a scramble through rain and up the front steps.  Fumbling with the keys, I unlock the door and step over the threshold, instinctively reaching for the lightswitch.  Right... 

──•~❉᯽❉~•──

Spending the past season following the Vasteras Iron Eagles in the VHLE, I watched Lucy Leitner play her second full season of pro level hockey.  I've been following Leitner's hockey career, actually, since before she joined the Houston Bulls in Season 92.  Back when she was with her junior team, the Black Diamond Blades, Lucy was an exceptional skater and one of the top prospects in her age category.  With terrific edges and blinding speed, she'd leave opposing forecheckers grasping at air as she'd wheel the puck up ice, often creating opportunities for her team off the rush.  That was in junior.  

At the VHLM level, Leitner continued to show flashes of speed and promise and managed a cool 76 points in 72 games with her hometown Houston Bulls.  While her skating was less of a dominant attribute at the M level, the VHLE proved to be an even greater challenge for Leitner as the slight defender would at times look out of her depth.  Still managing a respectable 61 points in 72 games, the eye test wasn't always kind to her.

Speaking with scouts around the league, there were concerns that Leitner might continue to struggle with her smaller frame at 5'8".  Furthermore, there was some suggestion that her once dominant attribute-- skating-- might begin to look more average with the jump up to the VHL in S94.  While most scouts agreed that Leitner had the tools and determination to become a successful VHL player, there seemed to be greater skepticism about her ceiling and what heights she might reach. 

After a disappointing playoff loss with Vasteras, Lucy made her way back to Houston for the offseason where I was able to catch up with her once again. And while we've had this rendezvous now for the past two offseasons, there was something different meeting her this time around.  Maybe it was the fact that the power was out and we met by the faint splash of candlelight, or maybe it was the anticipation of her first VHL game-- all the nerves, excitement, and dread that comes with such a milestone.  

──•~❉᯽❉~•──

"Thanks for meeting me, Lucy, how are you?"

"Of course, I am doing good!"

"I hope you don't mind the candles!"

"No, haha, it's totally fine! Kind of a unique way to do an interview to be honest."

"So when did you get back to Houston?"

"Um, I got back I think 4 days-- no, sorry 5 days ago.  I stayed in Vasteras for a week or so after the season ended just to pack and say goodbye to teammates and friends."

"Not to dwell on this too much, but I'm sure it was a tough way to end the season-- losing in the finals against Oslo in 5 games."

"Yep, that was definitely not the way we had imagined it going.  I mean, there's obviously some disappointment to lose in 5 games, you know, like you feel like you maybe didn't leave it all on the ice.  But at the same time Oslo had a great team, they had our number all season long and they deserve full credit.  We were kinda close and it would've been amazing to have finished the season with a win, but I guess it wasn't meant to be."

"Well, Vasteras was one of the best all season, so congratulations on such a successful campaign, even if you didn't necessarily get the final result you were hoping for."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

"I wanted to ask you about your personal performance this past season.  How do you think it went, considering it was your first season abroad and with the increase in competition?"

"I think, personally, it was okay.  I mean, my first goal is always helping the team, doing whatever I can to help secure wins, but everyone wants to show well on the scoresheet too.  I feel like I started slow to be honest and kinda hit a tough point in the middle of the season where nothing was working for me, like I think I was shooing under 4% or something silly like that.  So, like, those stretches are tough for sure, but you kinda just keep your head down and keep working and eventually you work your way out of it.  I think I did that a bit by the end, but yeah, definitely some room for improvement still."

"Some people have had concerns about your size being an issue as you make your way up into the higher leagues, do you think that was a challenge for you in the VHLE? And do you change anything about your game to accomodate that as you move up to the VHL?"

"I mean, I don't really feel like it was an issue.  Like, sure, there's guys who are absolute monsters out there, but my game has always been about creating space for myself using my skating so I didn't find, you know, size to be much of a factor.  Obviously, as the skill level goes up, size can definitely be an advantage but it's not like I can change my size really so I'm just working at getting faster and stronger and trying to adapt my game so that I can be effective against any level of competition."

"To be fair, I think we observed you adapting as the last season went on-- like you alluded to earlier, you were looking more comfortable by the end of your season in the E. This season you'll be playing for Riga in the VHL's European Conference.  What do you think will be the biggest challenge? And what are you most excited for?"

"I think the speed of the VHL game is going to be the biggest challenge.  I've kinda always taken pride in my skating ability and playing the game fast, but I know that the VHL is the top level and everyone there is a serious player.  I can't really just rely on old habits and skills because that won't be enough to compete at this level.  I think that speed will definitely be the hardest challenge of moving up, you know, just getting used to that and improving the way I play to keep up at that level.  What I'm excited for?  I mean, everything, all of it!  I can't wait to play my first game, you know, score my first goal-- first point.  It's somthing you dream about and it's kinda surreal that it's happening, so yeah, I'm just super happy to have the opportunity."

"Do you have any personal expectations for your rookie season? Any personal goals or milestones?  And what do you think of the team in Riga?" 

"I've chatted with a few of the players there and they've all been so welcoming and they're a great group.  I also know Lemorse @Lemorse7 a bit from my time in the VHLM so I'm glad to see he got the GM job and I'm sure he'll be working hard to improve this team every day! My goals though, um, I mean, I expect alot of myself on the ice, but I also don't necessarily have any expectations for points or any statistical milestones.  I guess my main goal is to be an effective player for the team. I know already that there will be tons of opportunity for ice time, so my main goal is to make the most of that and to be a positive player for the team, not a liability."

"Do you think about possibly winning the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy for the top rookie? Is that something that crosses your mind?"

"I mean it'd be a huge honor for sure, but it's definitely not something I think about.  It's one of those things, you know, if it happens then it happens, but I'm not playing to win personal hardware.  Like I said, if I can be a positive player for Riga in my rookie season, then I'll be happy with that.  Besides, I think Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica is going to be tough to beat in the rookie scoring race this season."

"There have been some rumors around Riga acquiring Skor McFleury @Alex from Davos and maybe some other players to bolster the team for a run at the playoffs.  What do you think about potentially adding a player like that and the GM pushing for a playoff berth this season?"

"I'm all for it! Anything that makes this team better and gives us a better shot at playoffs it awesome!  We've got a great core group of players I think, but if you can bring in Skor McFleury, who was literally the best defender in the league last season, that's huge for the team.  I mean, personally, I'd be excited to play alongside a player like that, you know, just to watch how they play the game and learn from a real pro." 

"Have you made it out to Riga yet?"

"No, actually, I'm here in Houston for a few more days and then I'm heading straight there for training camp.  From the pictures I've seen, it seems like a beautiful city with a lot of history so I'll definitely be doing some exploring.  I've also heard alot of great things from teammates too so it's going to be exciting to finally get there and settle in." 

"Alright, a few more quick questions-- don't think too hard about these ones, just give me the first answer that comes to mind."

"Okay."

"How many points will you score this season?"

"Oh, gosh... 35."

"How many games does it take you to score your first VHL goal?"

"Wow, um, 3 maybe."

"How many goals will you score this season?"

"9-- that's my lucky number."

"Does Riga make the playoffs this season?"

"Yes."

"If you could play for any other VHL team, which would be your first choice?"

"Besides Riga?  Probably Malmo, I've always loved their aesthetic and I'd love to play in Sweden again.

"What is the best team in the VHL right now, in your opinion?"

"Moscow. They've got a fantastic team and some great prospects coming up like Benjamin Abenduct @Schnee."

"You're exploring a new city looking for a place to get drinks, who's the first former or current teammate you call?"

"Ondrej Vencko @Mutti-- that's a no brainer."

"You can have the career of any current VHL player, who would you choose?"

"Liv Slater @Subject056, one of my favorites and a great defender."

"Which VHL player are you most excited to play against?"

"I think Logan Ninefingers @Scurvy.  He was a great rookie last season and we were teammates on the WJC team in S92.  It should be a fun matchup!"

"Which player on Riga are you most excited to play with?"

"Really? You're going to make me choose!  Gosh, maybe Kimi Raikkonen @mattyIceman since he's a player with a lot of high end skill and ice in his veins."

"Okay, favorite song right now?"

"That's a mean question... right now... My Delirium by Ladyhawke."

"Interesting choice.  Alright, final question: the last time we spoke you said you envisioned yourself lifting the Continental Cup with Riga in 5 seasons.  That's 4 seasons away now, has that vision changed?

"I feel like the timeline isn't all that important.  I'm going to Riga to win and that's always going to be the goal-- this season, next season, 4 seasons from now.  I want to help bring a Cup to Riga and be able to fulfill that dream, but the first step is that first game so for now I'm focussed on that."

"Love it, Lucy, thanks so much for taking the time to do this and best of luck with your first season in the VHL.  I know I can't wait to see how it goes!"

"Of course, anytime! And thanks!"

──•~❉᯽❉~•──

lg7pgyE.png

Riga, Latvia (above)

My phone battery is running low again after transcribing the interview in my notes app-- 9%.  The black screen of my laptop glares at me from across the room, lifeless.  Days ago I had vampirized its battery to charge my phone-- the laptop had died so that the phone might live, and yet here I am again with a phone on the verge of giving in to the consuming black.  The candle flickering on the coffee table is also in its dying stages, the flame shrinking and rounding into a tiny bead of light, floating above a puddle of wax. 

Lifting myself up off the couch, I stumble blindly through the dark living room, making my way back to the front door where I throw on my jacket and step into my shoes.  Peering through the window on the door I see the rain still coming down, but not much more than a light sprinkle.  Unlocking the deadbolt, car keys in hand, I duck out into the rain again, this time running out to my car.  Key in the ignition, I start the engine and plug in my phone.  Something like relief washes over me as I feel the familiar buzz indicating that the phone is charging.  

I lean back in the car seat now, the air conditioning blowing gently across my face, a reprieve from the suffocating humidity. In the rearview I see a cloud ignite with a flash of white lightning.  The thunder is too far off to hear as I click on the radio...

Paradise on my right, hell on my left, the angel of death right behind me... 

──•~❉᯽❉~•──
Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

06/04/24 - 2600+ words

Notes: 

• In 13 games, Lucy Leitner has started her VHL career strong with 12 points, scoring her first VHL goal against the Moscow Menace in her 6th game.  
  • Riga has gone on to acquire Skor McFleury and Oreo McFleury @JB123, as well as bringing back former members of the Reign, Sadie St-Louis @sadie and The Frenchman @OrbitingDeath
  • As part of those deals, new-- and busy!-- Riga GM Lemorse also brought another top prospect in Annie Oaks @Noodle Enjoyer while parting ways with Pierre-Marc Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito and Martin Kemp @leafsman
  • Riga looks poised to make some noise during the regular season and potentially into the postseason if this team can come together quickly.  
Edited by LucyXpher

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, mattyIceman said:

This is quite the piece.

Also thanks for the shout-out!  It's a pleasure to play on the same team as you too Lucy.

Thanks! ❤️
And I meant it btw, glad we're teammates and I look forward to what we can do over the next few seasons!

Edited by LucyXpher

5 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

This came to my mind as a Gen X person and military aviation afficionado:

Thunderbolt And Lightning by Frank Sellin

I’m not sure I understand 😅

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

I’m not sure I understand 😅

Yeah it is very specific and absolutely understandable if people do not get it. Because of my excentric interests, it was immediate to me, but would not expect everyone to get it, as it is rather 'arcane' trivia. (Disclaimer: I want to make very clear that I do not consider anyone who does not recognize this 'meme' as dumb, uneducated or anything in that direction, just interested in different things)

The upper aircraft is a Republic P-47 'Thunderbolt' (probably a 'B').

The lower is a Lockheed P-38 'Lightning' (not sure what type it is, probably 'G' or later).

It is a tribute to the Queen song 'Bohemian Rhapsody', where one of the more widely known passages goes 'Thunderbolt and Lightning, very, very frightening'.

So whenever I read 'Lightning' I hear this Rock-classic in my mind.

I know it is very far fetched in this context, but here we go...

Edited by Daniel Janser

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Yeah it is very specific and absolutely understandable if people do not get it. Because of my excentric interests, it was immediate to me, but would not expect everyone to get it, as it is rather 'arcane' trivia. (Disclaimer: I want to make very clear that I do not consider anyone who does not recognize this 'meme' as dumb, uneducated or anything in that direction, just interested in different things)

The upper aircraft is a Republic P-47 'Thunderbolt' (probably a 'B').

The lower is a Lockheed P-38 'Lightning' (not sure what type it is, probably 'G' or later).

It is a tribute to the Queen song 'Bohemian Rhapsody', where one of the more widely passages goes 'Thunderbolt and Lightning, very, very frightening'.

So whenever I read 'Lightning' I hear this Rock-classic in my mind.

I know it is very far fetched in this context, but here we go...

I’m happy to be dumb when I get answers like this 😝 

I had no idea about the planes, but I love Bohemian Rhapsody so it’s fun to put that together!  Thanks for explaining it to me, it totally makes sense now!

european space agency animation GIF

Edited by LucyXpher

7 minutes ago, Mutti said:

Wow, that is some amazing writing, right there! 😅😍

Wonderful work!

And thanks for keeping me in mind when it comes to alcohol. Cheers to that!

Thank you! 🙏
And of course!  It wouldn't be right without you 😅

btw we should write some more crazy stuff...