VSN Presents: PiffCast 9 ft. DarkSpyro - Kaleeb of the Mighty Malmo Nighthawks!

Pifferfish

Okay so a few notes from me then y'all can enjoy listening. My mic quality is very poor here, tried using my new earphones this time but after recording discovered my kitty wanted to eat some copper wiring so my phone didn't detect the mic on them. So instead it used my phone's mic which was sitting inside the cup holder of the whip, so apologies, Walmart has provided me with new earbuds for the future. 

@KaleebtheMighty @DarkSpyro thanks for joining me on this, sorry for the delay we are actually down to 9 away from Nighthawk history, crazy to think it was like 13 at time of recording. 

Now this next thing is truly amazing, I'm actually doing timestamps! 

Almost Correct TimeStamps - 

Intro/Future Talk 0:00

Goalie Chat 6:00 

VHFL 22:00 

Commies EMP the Pod 26:00

(To clarify the recording recorded Spyro and Kaleeb but I starting talking about VHLM Awards voting on my end so that's why I shouted out Spartan and Gustav in particular).

IRL NHL Chit Chat 31:00

Unfortunate VHL Franchises 45:00

Jersey Talk 51:00 

Calgary Rebrand? 56:00

2 hours ago, Pifferfish said:

Mentions in the pod (not tracking down timestamps) @N0HBDY @animal74 @comrade cat @scoop not certain I got them all but that's the one I remember at least saying by name in there

I think I know which one I’m in lol

To shine a bit of a light on award stuff, here's a general overview of how discussions/nominations go:

GMOTY: Typically people who make several large moves to launch their team into being competitive. Typically I have spoke up about more asset management type trades, and do think more attention should be paid towards long-term team building, such as what @KaleebtheMighty has done in Malmo.

Top Goalie: SV% is by far the most important stat here. Almost always goes to the goalie with the best SV% unless someone else is within 0.02, the Shutouts/GAA come into the picture. Hence why Sparks @DarkSpyro has been nominated a few times, but never really gained much traction.

D Awards: Stone has kind of really been in the same position as Sparks for most their career, of having really good seasons with bad timing as someone else had a better one which in turn edges them out of award voting.

Sportsmanship: There did use to be an award, don't know why it was retired.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I think it would be awesome for it to come back and if it does, I still say we name it the “Viktor Jensen Trophy” 🏆 

16 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

I think I know which one I’m in lol

Yeah, I said I think I would be happy to see you win though. Prove the haters wrong N0h ❤️

12 hours ago, Alex said:

To shine a bit of a light on award stuff, here's a general overview of how discussions/nominations go:

GMOTY: Typically people who make several large moves to launch their team into being competitive. Typically I have spoke up about more asset management type trades, and do think more attention should be paid towards long-term team building, such as what @KaleebtheMighty has done in Malmo.

Top Goalie: SV% is by far the most important stat here. Almost always goes to the goalie with the best SV% unless someone else is within 0.02, the Shutouts/GAA come into the picture. Hence why Sparks @DarkSpyro has been nominated a few times, but never really gained much traction.

D Awards: Stone has kind of really been in the same position as Sparks for most their career, of having really good seasons with bad timing as someone else had a better one which in turn edges them out of award voting.

Yeah, I think that's the main discussion internally is like, it's easy to give the award to a team that makes 4 big time trades in the offseason to have a cannonball splash of a season, meanwhile a GM like Kaleeb is over on the other of the pool with quiet and calculated 10 out of 10 dives from the high boards. No big splash, so not the same attention. And then the another issue (in particular in the VHLM this is more so a problem) of sometimes people taking into account playoff success and others only taking into account the regular season. Like to me, GMOTY is more of a regular season trophy, if there's a tie in my mind then you tie break with playoffs, that's how I voted when I was an M GM but obviously Idk exactly the criteria anyone in the BOG uses.