The Nighthawks are doing really well in the VHFL

scoop

Out of 13 VHFL groups this season, four are currently being led by a member of the Malmo Nighthawks. Three other team members are also participating in the VHFL, with all of them in the top three of their respective group. Looking at the historical performances in the fantasy games, it's not really a surprise to see these Nighthawks faring so well this season. Most of them regularly place in the top half, but for them to hold the lead in four groups is quite impressive. So while the Nighthawks have been struggling a bit as of late, I'm going to take a moment to celebrate the success that we are having in the VHFL.

@KaleebtheMighty currently has the second highest scoring team across all groups. While I don't necessarily think comparing teams from group to group is all that meaningful, because a bad drafter or two can drastically inflate someone else's score, Kaleeb still made several really good picks in what is the fifth highest scoring group. Somehow, his group allowed him to get Axle Gunner, Obuz Schneider Canet du Bocage, and Jacob Stone. Those are the three best fantasy players, and he got them all.

@Pifferfish is someone who was very confident in his VHFL scouting in our locker room, and with the results they have had, the confidence is warranted. Pifferfish's previous fantasy success has come more from Super Coach than the VHFL, but this season will bring up the average placement. They were wrong about Owen Lazaro, who they expected would have a better season, but the rest of their picks were hits.

@scoop (that's me!) is unsurprisingly leading his group. I made the right call taking Canet du Bocage first overall rather than Stone, as much as I always want to take my own player. The mistake was in thinking that my group might somehow let Stone fall to me at the 12th pick. I definitely made some poor picks, particularly with my forwards, but luckily my competition also missed out on some big scorers and made some even worse selections.

@RJMW hadn't placed above fourth in a VHFL group since Season 89 when he won his group. He is on track to return to the winner's circle, though unlike those mentioned above, his group is close and he could still potentially fall a place or two. While he does have the lowest score among current group leaders, he is in the fourth highest scoring group. There are no weak teams in his group, which makes his potential first place arguably more impressive than mine or Pifferfish's in two of the lower scoring groups.

@Advantage is in second place in what is the second highest scoring group. He definitely left some points on the board with some of his picks, but he seems to understand the optimal strategy of picking the players who are less likely to flop and are all but guaranteed to at least be good fantasy options. Like many of us, he made the wise decision to trust in the Nighthawks in taking Savaisk Tzesar, whose average draft position was probably lower than it should have been.

@leafsman sits at third in Group 7, which is one of the higher scoring groups. The lack of Malmo representation on the roster is a bit disappointing, and his forwards could be improved by having taken some Nighthawks instead of his other picks, he obviously knows what he is doing. His pick of Guntis Gavilrovs, who was undrafted in six groups, was probably the highlight pick of his draft.

@tcookie is in the same group as Kaleeb, the only two Nighthawks that are competing with each other in the VHFL. That means that tcookie was one of the users who allowed Kaleeb to get the trio of top players. He even picked two other defenders before Kaleeb took either Canet du Bocage or Stone, so it's a wonder how he is in third place in this group. He did do better with his forward selections, however, and the defenders that he did take have been solid fantasy players.