Rebuilding Hurts Outside of the VHL

Plate

I've always been a little puzzled by certain moves. Particularly, the prospect of moving up in the draft and giving away multiple assets to get a particular player. In my opinion, unless there's a huge drop-off in terms of TPE and or build quality, most players sim pretty evenly to each other. Some teams have traded a couple of firsts for the 1st overall pick in drafts, and in my opinion, it confuses me.

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, but with the way the engine works (from what I can remember and see from coming back) your team needs to have depth in order to stay competitive. You can have a line with one strong player and a couple of supporting casts but the moment you have a bot on your team you have a huge goals allowed problem. Which, again, makes me confused when teams without a full roster trade multiple assets for that one player they think they need. 

In my opinion, it's best to build the team from the bottom up, instead of the top down. This is just because the bottom will stay on the team longer, and having a couple of solid welfare earners will go farther for your franchise (In the VHL and VHLE) than a max earner would for one season. 

I see your point and do not disagree with your statement when it comes to sim. I would hold though that sometimes one targets the member behind the player, because one knows what intangibles they bring to the locker room. Point in Case Calgary's picks in the S95 draft. @Ricer13 and @Phil were not primarily picked for their TPE, but for the vibe they brought and bring to the Calgary locker room. The pure numbers would have dictated to pick @Greg_Di and @der meister instead. Of course there were positional needs in play as well. I also want to make it very clear that this was not a choice against Eagles or Shevchenko but one for Panda and Sakic. 

There are lots of reasons for it tbh

DJ already touched on a big one and that’s drafting specific users because of LR presences or based on the type of person they are. This is probably the most important thing.

Position of need, if I am completely set with goalies and forwards but need a future legit defender and there’s only so many defenders then I’ll happily trade up to grab one.

Commitment! If a player in their draft interview says they’d like to be a long term piece for my organization and another says they’re only going to stay if things are good then I’m like going to move up to grab the player who’s going to be more loyal.

These are only a couple of examples but it’s never a bad thing to trade assets for a player you’re super confident about.

44 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I see your point and do not disagree with your statement when it comes to sim. I would hold though that sometimes one targets the member behind the player, because one knows what intangibles they bring to the locker room. Point in Case Calgary's picks in the S95 draft. @Ricer13 and @Phil were not primarily picked for their TPE, but for the vibe they brought and bring to the Calgary locker room. The pure numbers would have dictated to pick @Greg_Di and @der meister instead. Of course there were positional needs in play as well. I also want to make it very clear that this was not a choice against Eagles or Shevchenko but one for Panda and Sakic. 

It's cool. I'll make you suffer for it, but it's cool.