Claimed:Sim Hockey Summit Series [Final: 6/6]

AIM-11

Time to Settle the Dispute

7174687.jpg

For years the SHL and the VHL have waged simulated war on one another.  Though real blood has not been spilled, there have been many tears, mounds of teenage angst, and hundreds of keyboards damaged in Mountain Dew fueled rages as articles are spasmed into existence at the various message boards the leagues operate on.

This is no ordinary war.  It is a cold war.  A war which can only be decided on the greatest battlefield known to simulated man.  The Simulated Hockey Arena!

It is no secret that there has always been some tension between the SHL and the VHL, and while it's generally low key and friendly, there's no doubt that both sides would love to finally demonstrate their true greatness in some fashion.  Well now the time has come to make it happen.  The STHS Player League Summit Series has been proposed.

What Is This Madness?

In 1972 the two greatest hockey powers in the world, Canada and Russia, sought to assert their dominance during the Cold War.  The Summit Series was born and the result was a series of ankle-breaking, Henderson-scoring, Ruskie-dangling, Espo-ranting, and Eagleson-fuming games that will live on forever in the memories of hockey fans forever.

The STHS Player League Summit Series is an opportunity to recreate those memorable moments, but to do it with the two greatest Player Sim Leagues on the planet.  The idea would be to create two rosters full of the best of the best from both leagues, and put them in an eight game series for the ages.

The first four games would be played using the SHL settings, and the second, using the VHL settings.  The first team to win 5 games, or in the case of a 4-4 Series tie, the team with the best goal differential, will be crowned the greatest of all time (or in the case of the losing team, all memory of the activity will be wiped from the league consciousness).

5892.JPG

How Would it Work?

Obviously both leagues have different point caps and different setups, so there would need to be some tweaks made to the format, as well as to the player setups, to make it fair for both sides.

For starters, both rosters would need to have players with the same capped level of TPE, to prevent a mismatch from occuring.  Since the SHL uses more stats, it would also be important to both allow for VHL players to have additional stats when playing by the SHL rules, and for SHL players to have those extra stats removed, when playing by the VHL rules.  Keeping the TPE caps the same would be a challenge in this case, but it's not an obstacle that is impossible to overcome.

Next, the leagues would need to commit to a certain standardized set of settings to be used by each league.  The first four games would be setup according to the standard SHL settings, and the final four according to the standard VHL settings.  This would provide the closest example of 'home ice advantage' as we could really make in the sim.

Furthermore, Injuries should be cranked up in the sim on both ends.  A bloody hell-fest is exactly what the real Summit Series was, and that's what we need to recreate here. No replacing injured players when Turd Ferguson comes along and breaks your femur with a two-handed chop to the leg.

Would This be as Awesome as it Sounds?

This would be better than you can imagine.  Picture the best players in the past 20+ seasons in the SHL lining up against the top players from 40+ seasons in the VHL.  Clutch goals, brutal fights, ESPN-worthy injuries - the series would have it all. 

Each game could be setup with a podcast, featuring players from both leagues, and videos that bring trashtalk and speeches to rally up the fanbases for each side.  This would be something talked about until the heat death of the Universe.

Let's make this happen folks.  This needs to happen.  SimonT himself wants this to happen.  There can be only one!

• Commissioner

It's been discussed countless times but unfortunately the logistics just don't really work out. Different sim engines, different TPE levels (900 here takes 6ish seasons, there its easy in 3) etc. it has certainly floated around but has never occurred.

I've suggested this lots of times and all the pussies are too afraid. I even suggested a mixed series (AKA SHL/VHL players on both teams like a NA vs World Summit Series between both with players from both leagues forming both teams.

It's been discussed countless times but unfortunately the logistics just don't really work out. Different sim engines, different TPE levels (900 here takes 6ish seasons, there its easy in 3) etc. it has certainly floated around but has never occurred.

900 TPE in 3 seasons? Please name me 5 players who have gotten 900 TPE in 3 seasons. I'm the fastest TPE earner from my draft and I'm only at 988 (S17 to present S21). Anrikkanen is the same way, is one year younger and has like 1,030 TPE. So not quite. We're also retardedly active and big on TPE if you hadn't noticed. 

And trust me, it hasn't been "easy" to get to 988 TPE in my time, haha. Doubt it has been for Esa too. Not hard but lors of work and consistency, lol. Lots of people struggle to become anything on SHL. VHL is just as easy imo if you find consistency. All about that word.

Would be cool. No idea why the sites fight, haha. Other GM simulation leagues don't fight. I guess these are bigger but come on, haha. I love the SHL but VHL is alright too. Lots of solid people here! :)

Edited by Banackock

Beketov,

Which details can't be worked out?

The TPE numbers?  Easy. Already gave a response to that in the article.

The Different Sim Engines?  Also Easy.  Responded to that in the article as well. In fact, that's one of the BEST parts about doing this.

What other hurdles are there?  I bet we can work them out.

Would be cool. No idea why the sites fight, haha. Other GM simulation leagues don't fight. I guess these are bigger but come on, haha. I love the SHL but VHL is alright too. Lots of solid people here! :)

We fight because the SHL essentially broke off the VHL and formed their own league. Much like Britain and the USA. They stole democracy and tea from us and we never got over it.

Beketov,

Which details can't be worked out?

The TPE numbers?  Easy. Already gave a response to that in the article.

The Different Sim Engines?  Also Easy.  Responded to that in the article as well. In fact, that's one of the BEST parts about doing this.

What other hurdles are there?  I bet we can work them out.

The hurdles are a bunch of pussies afraid of looking shitty against the SHL. Where as I see it as a benefit to steal more SHL loyalists.

Seriously, who cares if the SHL wins 8-0, or vice versa.  The idea is to create something amazing.  An excellent chance to bring both communities together in a spirited competitive battle that we can look back on in 20 seasons, nod our simulated heads and say `Wow, now THAT was an awesome event."

• Admin

The hurdles are a bunch of pussies afraid of looking shitty against the SHL. Where as I see it as a benefit to steal more SHL loyalists.

Honestly it would just suck if we had bad timing and all our good players retired.

But if we went for all-time rosters, I mean we could probably ice 4 lines, 3 pairings, and 3 goalies of 1,000 TPE or more. Let's fucking do this.

We fight because the SHL essentially broke off the VHL and formed their own league. Much like Britain and the USA. They stole democracy and tea from us and we never got over it.

Get over it? It's not too hard? haha Now there's two successful leagues. Both which have the same members in each each league sometimes (meaning are both in VHL/SHL). At least they broke off and made it work. The SHL is the bees knees and like I said, I like the VHL too. You will never "steal" me from the SHL though. As VHL is your #1, SHL is mine. Nothing wrong with 2nd though? Hell I got 3rds and 4ths too.  B) Would be cool to have more VHL over there and just reconcile and have 2 huge massive, successful leagues that flourish in new people everyday. 

You always see other people trying to start leagues and they fail miserably and that pisses me off, haha. You should be happy the SHL worked out haha

Honestly it would just suck if we had bad timing and all our good players retired.

But if we went for all-time rosters, I mean we could probably ice 4 lines, 3 pairings, and 3 goalies of 1,000 TPE or more. Let's fucking do this.

I should be the special Ambassador of the SHL for this. BluesBoy and I  B)  :lol:

Get over it? It's not too hard? haha Now there's two successful leagues. Both which have the same members in each each league sometimes (meaning are both in VHL/SHL). At least they broke off and made it work. The SHL is the bees knees and like I said, I like the VHL too. You will never "steal" me from the SHL though. As VHL is your #1, SHL is mine. Nothing wrong with 2nd though? Hell I got 3rds and 4ths too.  B) Would be cool to have more VHL over there and just reconcile and have 2 huge massive, successful leagues that flourish in new people everyday. 

You always see other people trying to start leagues and they fail miserably and that pisses me off, haha. You should be happy the SHL worked out haha

Well to be fair, the SHL stole a lot of our content. So in essence I am proud of the league we helped develop from the beginning. I have nothing against the SHL, I just like it here and have been here a while so that's why I stay here. I don't have the time to get that involved in another league.

I should also mention the SHL failed a few times before it finally took off. They've always kind of been the little brother to the VHL. I don't know how many of them are left (original founders/members). Where as I know the history fairly well.

• Commissioner

900 TPE in 3 seasons? Please name me 5 players who have gotten 900 TPE in 3 seasons. I'm the fastest TPE earner from my draft and I'm only at 988 (S17 to present S21). Anrikkanen is the same way, is one year younger and has like 1,030 TPE. So not quite. We're also retardedly active and big on TPE if you hadn't noticed. 

And trust me, it hasn't been "easy" to get to 988 TPE in my time, haha. Doubt it has been for Esa too. Not hard but lors of work and consistency, lol. Lots of people struggle to become anything on SHL. VHL is just as easy imo if you find consistency. All about that word.

Just going off what I’ve heard. I haven’t bothered to be around the SHL in years . After I helped them completely overhaul their organization and move to jcink and then saw all the organization turn into a chaotic mess within a week I decided against it. Even still, getting to ~1000 TPE in 4 seasons is massively fast. If people in the VHL were getting points like that we’d be looking at people retiring with over 2000 TPE.