VHL Graphics Workshop: Week 1

jack

Each week I will post a challenge or technique for people to learn about and implement in their work. The idea is to help people improve their graphics while helping their player.

If you had a sig graded with 5 or fewer TPE in the week of Dec. 8th-15th, you may claim 1 TPE from completing this task.

Week 1: Starting Simple

Your challenge this week is to great a sig without using stocks, other than the player render. This will teach you to learn about composition, planning, and using Photoshop's built in features.

Here is a list of ideas for you to try:

• Using typography to enhance the signature.
  • Using smudging effects and taking advantage of Photoshop's brush engine.
  • Creating lighting without stocks.
  • Using adjustment layers to create a complete-looking piece.

Example:

QzAcr7M.png

To claim this task, you must first post the work, then at the end of the week I will post a list of people who are eligible and completed the task. You will then link to that post in your update thread.

• Commissioner

Love this idea. I would potentially like to offer an addition to it though. Since the people learning the techniques can get 1 TPE (capped I presume) from the task, why not offer 1 TPE (also capped for sure) to anyone who is willing to write (or better yet, screen capture) a lesson for the week. It doesn’t have to be related to the task of the week but could help in future ones. For example, I could put up a smudging or depth tutorial, Boubabi a stock work or smudging, etc. Just an idea.

• Commissioner

Love that. It would be nice to have a fully stocked section with tutorials from all of the experienced people.

If we can get the payout approved I can definitely try to do up a tutorial tomorrow. Either on depth or related to the task of the week.

This is eerie, I was just going to see if I could find tutorials to help me get some help making sigs, and I see this!

Having tutorials would be great as I have troubles with some of those.

If we can get the payout approved I can definitely try to do up a tutorial tomorrow. Either on depth or related to the task of the week.

You could do a tutorial for next week, so whatever topic you desire.

This is like the one technique i dont use :( time for me to learn i guess

Not as a much a technique as a challenge. Gets you to try to take advantage of what Photoshop has to offer without piling stocks on.

Edited by Jackim

Not as a much a technique as a challenge. Gets you to try to take advantage of what Photoshop has to offer without piling stock on.

I meant like stuff using the render itself. I take advantage of stocks all the time. Im not really good at brush work or render effects. But im gonna try this even though i cant get tpe :D