Should the VHLM introduces a NCAA/Recruitement system ?

boubabi

Recruitement sytem  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As you know, the VHLM as been highly criticize over the past seasons. Some people may call it "broken". Since it's an important part of the recruitment, we might need to fix it before it creates more damage for the league. 

The first problem we might accounter in the VHLM is the general activity. Personally, I was supposed to be in an active locker room (Bratislava Watchmen) and it wasn't the case this season. We already lost valuable members because of that. Kyle Kingma and Sam Teibert were some very good and active prospects at the beginning of the season and now, they are gone/semi-active. They are the one who are supposed to be the "new generation" of members, and we lost multiple of them. I'm not saying we could have save them if we were having another system in place, but at least it could have helped a bit.

So if we are loosing members in good teams, I don't even think how it must be boring to be in "inactive/loosing" team in the VHLM. Most of the time, the GMs are trying to trade their active players to another team but still, we are still loosing members with those "active teams"

Here's today proposition, first of all, we must reduce the number of the VHLM teams. I think we can all agree that we doesn't have enough members in the VHLM to fill those up. It's possible, but not optimal in my opinion. Well, lets say we reduce to 6 teams (3 in EU and 3 in NA), is it fixing the problem ? Maybe, but I think we can still improve the system, let me explain. If a VHLM prospect/new gen haven't "taste" the VHL yet in his career properly, he won't be interested in staying 4 months in the VHLM (2 seasons), so we must find him a motivation to stay.

How about incorporating a recruitment system ? Let me explain. Lets say every VHLM member starts his career as a free agent and they must commit to a VHLM team. The VHLM GMs must now persuade the player to "commit" to his team. Maybe every VHLM GM will have a certain amount of salary cap and bonuses if they get certain achievement like winning the cup, promoting a prospect to VHL, etc.

Of course, there's Pros and Cons with everything.

Pros

1. Prospects can now decide where they play. They can decide to play with their friends and stay active.
  2. Prospects can now win certain amount of money in their VHLM time.
  3. Most active VHLM will be "rewarded" for their activity.
  4. Overall recruitment will be better since prospects will invite their friends to play in the same team.
  5. We can find a new solution to fix the "inactive players" problem

Cons

1. Some popular teams will have an advantage over the less popular team (The Alabama Crimson Tide Syndrome)
  2. Will require active GMs to make it successful
  3. New playoffs format to find.
  4. Loosing VHLM teams
  5. New sim since it won't be related to the VHL sim.

Sorry for the multiple grammar mistakes, I didn't review my text.

which are

The good continue to be good while the bad continue to be bad. Waivers allow the worse teams to get the better players, while the NCAA recruitment system promotes the best teams picking the best players.

If 2 new members make it known they want to play on the same team, accommodations are made 99% of the time.

There is 6 teams, not everybody will go to the same team every time. If so, the other GMs really suck at GM'ing. And if we install salary cap, people won't be able to sign everyone. Some people wants money right away so other team can afford them and some can't, that's the point. And we don't have parity since season 30 in the VHLM, so why is it so important now ? I mean yes it's important, I think that the recruitment system will eventually bring so parity if every GM do their job.

The good continue to be good while the bad continue to be bad. Waivers allow the worse teams to get the better players, while the NCAA recruitment system promotes the best teams picking the best players.

If 2 new members make it known they want to play on the same team, accommodations are made 99% of the time.

This. In keeping with NCAA College Football it would be like Oregon, Alabama and Miami U and then Iowa State, Idaho and Georgia State. The good teams would get everyone because of people wanting to win, despite whoever their GM is. Plus it would be impossible to find out who wins the GM award. Recruitment would outweigh trading and drafting.

There is 6 teams, not everybody will go to the same team every time. If so, the other GMs really suck at GM'ing. And if we install salary cap, people won't be able to sign everyone. Some people wants money right away so other team can afford them and some can't, that's the point. And we don't have parity since season 30 in the VHLM, so why is it so important now ? I mean yes it's important, I think that the recruitment system will eventually bring so parity if every GM do their job.

False. If a team is really good, more often than not players will go to where they can win. That's because currently VHLM prospects see the VHLM as a chance to have some success and not a place to develop. So it would have nothing to do with a GM being good or not, it would be based on reputation. Players shouldn't gain money in the VHLM anyways, it's not the pros.

You talk like recruitment doesn't need any effort.

and the whole would have 6 teams....it's not like we are having 30 teams, it's 6 teams. It's not like it's guaranteed wins. We have 4 competing teams this season with complete rosters and I couldn't say that one of them is better than the other. 

You talk like recruitment doesn't need any effort.

and the whole would have 6 teams....it's not like we are having 30 teams, it's 6 teams. It's not like it's guaranteed wins. We have 4 competing teams this season with complete rosters and I couldn't say that one of them is better than the other. 

I don't actually if you read it properly. I said that if a GM's reputation is he builds a successful team or if a team is very successful already his recruitment incentive is a lot higher. 4 competing team is not ideal sure, but recruitment only waters down the teams who don't have as many in the first place.

If you think that a team will bring 4 active forwards lines (12 forwards) and 6 quality defense men to a team, well, it's not. Team will be restricted (not because it's a rule or something) to only have a certain amount of forwards and defense because it's useless to have more. 

As an NCAA AD in the SBA I can tell you most new members consider being able to play more and an active community over team quality. I'm more in favor of a VHLM comtraction but the NCAA system is better than yall give it credit for.

The SBA's NCAA system in my mind is kind of flawed for the very reason that it is buddies with buddies and some of those schools have no chance.

All the VHLM's needs is competent GM's, it's one of the reasons I was stepping down and Draper was going to as well even before his VHL GM job. This year alone I can't remember how many times I PM'd a VHLM GM and they didn't answer until 7+ days later. Or getting a message if I was interested in a trade for a player 24 hours after the trade deadline. It's that sort of lack of awareness that stunts players growth. GM's complain about lines not being sent in and things not getting done, that's their own disorganization because through my 40+ years here and various GM stints I have never had a line issue and I don't even have STHS. So what it comes down to is competent GM's that want to put the work in. When Slobo left I could've let Saskatoon go to the shitter, but I decided not to fail the prospects in the system and not to screw over VHL GM's who owned those prospects.

If you think that a team will bring 4 active forwards lines (12 forwards) and 6 quality defense men to a team, well, it's not. Team will be restricted (not because it's a rule or something) to only have a certain amount of forwards and defense because it's useless to have more. 

Of course it won't. But taking the teams down to 6 basically eliminates free agents as well so the likelihood of those team having three active lines is actually higher than one would think.

By the way, the whole notion that the VHLM is broken is from people who are afraid to see what trial and error is and instead just say things are broken. VHLM changes every year and every year someone complains, even though we never get to see what those changes would do because of complaints.

• Head Moderator

The first thing that comes to mind is that you would have to enforce a commitment cap to minimize the 'alabama' effect.  

I actually like the idea.  Creating and pursuing new ways of retaining members is critical to the league's success.

Generally speaking, the VHLM is the best time for players/agents (specifically new members) to familiarize themselves with the league and its intricacies.  If there are 2 amazing, active teams and 4 shit teams, who cares?  Too much of a precedent is set on assuring the VHLM is aligned with the VHL, when it really shouldn't be.  Creating a fun, exciting and most importantly, successful, environment for new members far outweighs the alternative.

Just a veteran's .02.

edit: hi everyone <3

Edited by frescoelmo