Brick Wahl to Split Starts? Ends Chances at Hall of Fame?

Advantage

A rumor is currently circulating that Brick Wahl will not be playing the 64 games we are accustomed to seeing him play.  With the development of Blake Campbell, it appears that Brick Wahl will be getting less starts to help Campbell continue to improve.  While the decisions are obviously not made yet, one has to assume that Wahl starts potentially 40-50 games with Campbell starting roughly 20-30 himself.

"We heard that Brick would probably get a lot of the starts against better teams while they help nurture Campbell into their future goalie.  Of course, Wahl would also get playoff starts assuming the team makes it there."

The immediate comparison that has already been thrown out there is when the Americans signed Tuomas Tukio to start ahead of a young Brick Wahl.  Tukio played sixty-four games that year while Wahl sat for the betterment of the team.  However, one pro scout affiliated with an anonymous VHL team explains why the situation is quite different with Campbell:

"I think it's pretty clear that it is a very different situation.  Wahl was in New York long-term regardless.  Campbell has a little more developing to do and I think giving him some more starts makes sense.  Wahl is still the starter but he is a veteran and one has to wonder if he even can match what he has put up in the last couple seasons."

This situation has also potentially ended the talks of Wahl making the Hall of Fame.  The veteran goaltender, whose main claim to fame is being one of two goalies to win two Daisuke Kanou Trophies (the other being Kanou himself), was likely just one Aidan Shaw Trophy away from being inducted.  

"You had to think if Wahl won the Shaw Trophy this year that he was going in.  How can you turn down a Shaw Trophy winner and a two-time Kanou Trophy winner that was arguably robbed in the past as well? You can't.  However, if this rumor is true, there is no way that he makes it.  No chance."

What does Mr. Wahl have to say to all of this talk?

"Who cares.  Campbell and I are teaming up this year to help Stockholm win a Continental Cup.  I don't care how many starts each of us have, as long as we can find the team success we so greatly crave."

Glad to have you aboard man. Like I told you during our talks, as much as it'll suck to sit out for my 2nd season out of my 3 year career pretty much - I don't want you missing HoF because of me. I've worked my ass off to catch up to people because I had a later start than most - but you've worked your balls off too and I'd love to see a current teammate end his career off huge and end up in the HoF. Whatever happens, happens. :)

Let's go get that cup though!! :cheers:  :sto: