Claimed:Where the VHL and SHL butt heads [Final 6/6]

SHL vs. VHL: Simulation Hockey's Super Bowl

This isn't my typical media spot. Usually I get on and relate some Houston-based news to my player (which I could do this time: the Astros are playing better than they ever have and Clardy has been to many of the games, open carry became legal in Texas and Clardy had some trouble adjusting to the laws when going back north), but not today. Today is a quick look at the two titans of the hockey simulation world: the Victory Hockey League and the Simulation Hockey League. Here are my observations about the two leagues and where they could learn from each other.

PART 1: Development

Most of these articles are to show what each system does and how there is a perfect balance between the two development systems. The SHL uses more TPE (155 given at the start, 5 TPE weekly for Training, Point Tasks, Activity Checks) than the VHL (8 TPE Capped per week from Media Spots, 590/2-Point Podcasts plus some extra TPE from Achievement Tracker and Fantasy), but each has a unique system. Multiple people that transcend the 2 leagues argue that there should be a uniform system of development and that if this happened, there could be a merger and have all players under the same development scales. People in the SHL would hate this since they would most likely have to give up a significant amount of their weekly TPE gains and the VHL members would outcry from the amount of free TPE they'd still have to give out. The development systems are too different to combine and neither side would be happy if their system changed. I guess my point is that each league caters to a certain type of member when it comes to development.

PART 2: Restrictions

With the amount of TPE flying around both leagues, there must be restrictions to how a player can become great. For the VHL, that comes in the form of euthanizing players at 8 years into a career and a strict weekly cap of 8 TPE per week. The SHL doesn't have the same type of restrictions, but a PT cap of 35 TPE/season does keep some players down (though the cap is more a natural cap as there aren't really more than 35 TPE available each season through PTs). The VHL knows that they have to restrict their players on their TPE earning because a player can max out his stats fairly early compared to that of an SHL player. The update scales differ at 80, where the SHL starts becoming harsher and forcing players to spend 5 TPE to raise an attribute by 1 point, where the VHL keeps it down to 3 TPE. The harsher update scale for 90+ in the SHL (double the update scale of the VHL at this point) keeps players somewhat restricted, but not by much. Regression in the SHL is the nicer version of euthanizing players where you start losing TPE after 10 seasons. Many have argued for harsher regression scales to force players to retire or to step down from the Mount Olympus of the current SHL, but we still see older gods roaming the SHL landscape. Meanwhile, Hall of Fame players like CAL G, Alexander Sauve, and Aidan Shaw will forever be remembered but have played their time in the VHL, lending their expertise to the new player in the member lineage.

I'll do another one of these next week with some more parts.

Content: 3/3 - You can get 9 tpe a week, like someone else has mentioned. I think the last few sentences of your development part is spot on. Great read ! :)

Grammar: 2/2 - I didn't notice anything.

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks fine

Overall: 6/6