(OOTP 16) Major League Baseball: The Beginning

In this series I will be playing as far back as the game would let me go. However there are a few things that will be changed from history. I will be playing with the DH rule on from the very 1st season and the DH rule will be in effect for both the National and American League. I feel it would be interesting to see what happens with the DH rule for the history of baseball and for both leagues, however if a lot of people disagree then maybe i will change it to just the AL which has had the DH rule. Another thing is that there will be free agency. Back in 1871 to i think it was about 1940 or something maybe 50, there was a Reserve Clause in contracts which meant that they basically played for the team that drafted them and that they stayed there until they were traded and were paid whatever the team felt. Minimum Years for Free Agency is set at 6 years if you feel it should be higher let me know. Service Years for arbitration is set at 3 which is half of the F.A service years. National Media is based on the Market size. Spring Training is set for 4 weeks because well, 5 is too long and i dont play them anyway but still would like it to not tke tht much time. maybe in the future when roster sizes are bigger ill play some. 

Which of the 8 teams would you rather see me GM/Manage:

Baltimore Canaries

Boston Red Stockings - 2

Brooklyn Atlantics - 2

Chicago White Stockings

Cincinnati Reds - 1

Cleveland Forest Citys

Philadelphia Athletics

St.Louis Brown Sotckings - 2

Edited by StevenStamkos91

Being so impatient, I have decided to take over the Boston Red Stockings. They are interesting. Brooklyn is like New York Yankees and have a big history and are expected to win and usually win. Since there is no New York, we will basically just assume Brooklyn will take the part of NYY for the time being. St.Louis also will not become the Cardinals if my memory serves correct but lets just assume they do and the Cardinals have a storied history and especially in recent times. So I want to take Boston and have them challenge the NYY/BRK for the time being anyways. Oh yea I also have Wildcard spots turned on so it will be 1st vs 2nd in both Divisions. You know just for funs. See how much this changes history. 

major_league_baseball_association4.png

8 possible owners have met in the Sheraton Hotel boardroom in Brooklyn, New York to discuss whether a professional baseball league can exist. These 8 owners from different countries have agreed why not give it a shot. Major League Baseball was born on January 1st, 1871. The inaugural draft will take place on the same day. 115 players will be playing for 8 new franchises. These teams will be the Baltimore Canaries,Boston Red Stockings, Brooklyn Atlantics, Chicago White Stockings, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Forest Citys, Philadelphia Athletics and St.Louis Brown Sotckings. Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago and Cincinnati will play in the National League while Baltimore, Cleveland, Philadephia and St.Louis will share the American League. The Draft is a snake draft as well. 

boston_red_stockings.png

Shawn Howard has been named the Boston GM and will have his full reign in how to build his team from scratch as the team has just been named in the brand new team in the MLB. The Red Stockings have the 4th overall pick and in a snake draft it will be interesting to see what he does. 

The rest of the order looks like this:

1 - Cleveland Forest Citys

2 - St.Louis Brown Stockings

3 - Brooklyn Atlantics

4 - Boston Red Stockings

5 - Baltimore Canaries

6 - Chicago White Stockings

7 - Philadelphia Athletics

8 - Cincinnati Reds

Round 1, Pick 4 - Catcher Cal McVey

With our 1st round pick, I drafted the young and dangerous hitter which should solidify the catching position for hopefully years to come. He is a great contact hitter and has some gap power in that swing. He also has some of he best HR power in the MLB so far. He is also a great game caller and will be a game changer. Think of him as Joe Mauer.

Round 2, Pick 13 - Starting Pitcher Rynie Wolters

With a shortage of SP in the inaugural draft I had to grab one quick. Rynie was the best one left. He has solid control and movement with average stuff. He is 28 years old and will not develop much further. His fastball is his best pitch followed by a decent slider. Throws 89-91 MPH. 

Round 3, Pick 20 - Third Baseman Fred Waterman

I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to select the 3B Fred Waterman. He can develop some nice contact skills but at 25 that may be a stretch. He has some decent double power as well as some solid base stealing. He also is very solid defensively so gold gloves are in the future I hope.

Round 4, Pick 29 - Starting Pitcher John 'Lefty' McMullin

Like I said about not being very much SP in the game so far so I figured why not double down on another one. Just as insurance in case Wolters gets hurt. His nickname is Lefty so you should clue in by now that he is a LHP. His control and movement isn't as good as Wolters but he could potentially have better stuff. He has a pretty good fastball slider combo. 

Round 5, Pick 36 - Left Field John Hatfield

I was pretty amazed that John Hatfield was available this late in the draft. He can play great defensively in LF or even play great at 2B. He is a great on the bases and can steal a bag anytime he wants. His hitting may need some work but it is above average. He is your prototypical leadoff hitter.

Round 6, Pick 45 - Center Field Sam Jackson

Sam Jackson is a below average contact hitter but makes up for it with great gap power. He also is average in the field but hey, there wasn't much better options out there. He is a decent number 2 hitter in my eyes. 

Round 7, Pick 52 - Right Field John W. Glenn

Glenn finishes up my outfield which are all above average (Jackson 59/100, Hatfield + Glenn 81/100). He lacks some hitting skills to make him superstar but I can put him out there knowing he will play great defense and he won't be that bad at the plate. 

Round 8, Pick 61 - Shortstop Jimmy Hallinan

Hallinan is a work in progress. He could be a very decent SS when all is said and done but for now he will be above average with the bat but will have a lot of question to ask about his defence. 

Round 9, Pick 68 - Catcher Charlie Mills

I figured I better grab a backup catcher if anything happened to McVey. He is a very decent hitter and is above average defensively. Prototypical backup catcher in my opinion. 

Round 10, Pick 77 - Second Base Warren White

Well picks were getting slim here and I went with best available at 2B. Warren White is below average in both defence and with the bat. Wouldn't normally be a starter but these are special cicumstance in the early years.

Round 11, Pick 84 - First Base Tom Pratt

The surprising thing here is that you could have done worse with what was left at 1B. Pratt should hold his own at the plate but his ham hands will be the downfall at 1B. Hopefully he doesn't drop to many balls at 1B.

Round 12, Pick 93 - Right Field Tom Patterson

Tom can play a few things and will be important to the team going forward. He will battle it out with White in Spring Training to see who will play 2B as Patterson's best position is 2B. He was drafted as a RF but upon further review his best bet at playing time will be 2B with the already incumbent White. 

Round 13, Pick 100 - Left Field Ed Mincher

Ed will be a decent backup for LF. That's the only position he could play so with Hatfield already there, he won't get much playing time unless there is a injury. 

Round 14, Pick 109 - Third Base Frank Norton

With our last pick in the draft, I went with Frank Norton, He is like the last 2 picks i made. Just a backup. Nothing special and will hopefully not need to call on him. 

Depth Chart:

Catcher - Cal McVey ~ Charlie Mills

First Base - Tom Pratt

Second Base - Warren White/Tom Patterson (loser is backup)

Third Base - Fred Waterman ~ Frank Norton

Shortstop - Jimmy Hallinan

Left Field - John Hatfield

Center Field - Sam Jackson 

Right Field - John W. Glenn 

Designated Hitter - Ed Mincher

Starting Pitcher - 1. Rynie Wolters, 2. John McMullin

Lineup:

1. John Hatfield (4.5/5)

2. Sam Jackson (4/4)

3. Cal McVey (5/5)

4. Fred Waterman (4.5/5)

5. John W. Glenn (4/4.5)

6. Jimmy Hallinan (1/4.5)

7. Warren White (1/1.5)

8. Ed Mincher (1.5/2)

9. Tom Pratt (1.5/1.5)

Bench:

Charlie Mills (2/2)

Tom Patterson (2/2)

Frank Norton (1.5/1.5)

up next Spring Training 

NL Standings:

1. Boston Red Stockings - 19-5

2. Chicago White Stockings - 11-13 8 GB

2. Brooklyn Atlantics - 11-13 8 GB

3. Cincinnati Reds - 7-17 12 GB

AL Standings: 

1. St.Louis Brown Stockings - 20-4 

2. Baltimore Canaries - 17-7 3 GB

3. Cleveland Forest Citys - 6-18 14 GB

4. Philadelphia Athletics - 5-19 15 GB

Predicted Standings:

NL:

1. Brooklyn Atlantics - 24-6

2. Chicago White Stockings - 16-14 8 GB

3. Boston Red Stockings - 15-15 9 GB

4. Cincinnati Reds - 6-24 18 GB

AL:

1. St.Louis Brown Stockings 19-11

2. Philadelphia Athletics - 17-13 2 GB

3. Baltimore Canaries - 15-15 4 GB

4. Cleveland Forest Citys - 11-19 8 GB

Spring Stats:

Cal McVey - 22 G, 34 H / 97 AB, .351 AVG, 1.023 OPS, 41 RBI, 8 SB

Charlie Mills - 23 G, 33 H / 102 AB, .324 AVG, .977 OPS, 35 RBI, 4 SB

Tom Pratt - 24 G, 37 H / 125 AB, .296 AVG, .791 OPS, 37 RBI, 0 SB

Warren White - 24 G, 44 H / 120 AB, .367 AVG, .992 OPS, 43 RBI, 4 SB

Frank Norton - 18 G, 25 H / 63 AB, .397 AVG, 1.151 OPS, 23 RBI, 0 SB

Fred Waterman - 24 G, 31 H / 106 AB, .292 AVG, .884 OPS, 30 RBI, 7 SB

Jimmy Hallinan - 24 G, 51 H / 128 AB, .398 AVG, 1.035 OPS, 1 HR, 41 RBI, 

John Hatfield - 24 G, 52 H / 126 AB, .413 AVG, 1.045 OPS, 37 RBI, 24 SB

Ed Mincher - 24 G, 25 H / 79 AB, .316 AVG, .731 OPS, 19 RBI, 2 SB

Tom Patterson - 24 G, 44 H / 114 AB, .386 AVG, 1.021 OPS, 30 RBI, 3 SB

John W. Glenn - 24 G, 37 H / 108 AB, .343 AVG, .865 OPS, 22 RBI, 3 SB

Rynie Wolters - 12 G, 8-4, 100.1 IP, 4.40 ERA, 9 K, 15 BB

John McMullin - 14 G, 11-1, 109 IP, 3.47 ERA, 14 K, 25 BB

As you can see, Patterson played at CF this spring. That's because Sam Jackson got hurt in the 1st game and was out 6 weeks with a sprained elbow. I had no viable CF to replace him so i threw Patterson in CF. He couldn't play the position when spring started but now hes at 6/100 rating at the position so theres that lol. Jackson is still out for 2 more weeks give or take. Also next up opening day/1st series. 

The owner only wants .500 baseball (15-15) but i want more than that. I at least expect the be in the wildcard game (lowest I need to finish is 2nd). 

Top 10 (of 100) prospects were named today:

1 - Dick McBride, SP, 23, Cincinnati Reds

2 - Al Spalding, SP, 20, Chicago White Stockings

3 - Al Pratt, SP, 23, Baltimore Canaries

4 - Bill Stearns, SP, 18, Philadelphia Athletics

5 - Frank Fleet, RP, 22, St.Louis Brown Stockings

6 - Bobby Matthews, SP, 19, Brooklyn Atlantics

7 - John McMullin, SP, 21, Boston Red Stockings

8 - Cap Anson, C, 18, Cincinnati Reds

9 - George Wright, 1B, Chicago White Stockings

10 - Lip Pike, RF, 25, Philadelphia Athletics

Next Up, Game 1, the home opener vs Chicago White Stockings. 

Week 1: 2 vs Chicago White Stockings

April 2nd and 3rd

off days

April 4th, Game 1 (0-0)

Chicago - 1  8  13

Boston - 16  15  2

W: McMullin(1-0) L: Spalding(0-1)
SP John McMullin 9 IP 8 H 1 ER 2 K W
Hallinan 3-3 1R 5 RBI
Hatfield 4-6 3 R 2 RBI

ATT: 1322

1,322 came out to watch us lay the smack down on Chicago in the 1st ever game in Boston. So far so good. Hallinan went 3-3 and brought 5 home. Hatifield was great leading off going 4-6 and had 3 runs. I gave McMullin the start since he tore up spring. It proved a good decision as he allowed 8 hits and only 1 earned run. He also struck out 2 batters. Pretty good for a guy with 8/100 stuff. I think the whole lefty thing threw them off as he is the only LHP in the 1st season. The biggest difference fore us though was  our defence. Only 2 errors compared to 13 for Chicago. Hopefully the defence holds up in future games. 

April 7th, Game 2 (1-0)

Chicago - 6  12  13

Boston - 12  11  6

W: Wolters(1-0, 5.00 ERA) L: Spalding(0-2, 4.50 ERA)

BOS SP Rynie Wolters 9 IP 12 H 5 ER BB 

BOS Norton 3-5 3 RBI

CHI Wright  2-4 3 RBI 

ATT: 1099

The 2nd game didn't go as comfortable as the 1st. We doubled up on their score winning 12-6 but Wolters allowed 12 hits over 9 innings. DH Frank Norton went 3-5 with 3 RBI's. Our defence wasn't as great as it was in the 1st game as well because we had 6 errors. The bright side to that is that Chicago had 13 errors. 1B George Wright was the driving force of their offence going 2-4 with 3 RBI's. On to the the series finale in about a week!  

Standings: 1st, 1/2 game lead over Brooklyn Atlantics

Week: 2-0

Power Rankings: #1 tied with Cleveland Forest Citys

Runs Scored: 28

Runs Against: 7

3B Bob Ferguson named AL Player of the Week. 4-5, .800 BA, 1 RBI

DH Frank Norton named NL Player of the Week. 6-10, .600 BA, 5 RBI

Week 2

1 Game vs Chicago White Stockings

April 13th, Game 3 (2-0)

Chicago - 9  13  10

Boston - 4  5  4

W: Spalding (1-2, 2.88) L: McMullin (1-1, 4.50 ERA)

BOS SP John McMullin 9 IP 13 H 8 ER

CHI SP Al Spalding 9 IP 5 H 0 ER

CHI C Mike McGeary 4-5 3 R 1 RBI 1 Triple

ATT: 932

Well that didn't go as expected. Spalding was great just allowing 5 hits over 9 inning but his defence let him down again fumbling or throwing the ball away 10 times. However, our guys couldn't really do anything anyways. I will take the 2-1 series win to start the season though. Next we have all of next week off before finishing the month with 2 games against the Brooklyn Atlantics. Just like that 10% of the season is done! 

BOS CF Sam Jackson has returned from the DL and will be slotted in the lineup right away. BOS UTL Tom Patterson hit .154 (2-13) in his absence and that wasn't better than the players in the other positions he could play (2B, LF, RF) so he will be sitting out. If he had been hitting better than anyone in the positions I might have played him as in a short season I need player who are hitting. 

PHI 2B Jimmy Wood is named the AL Player of the Week. He went 5-9 and drove in 2. For the year he is 5-13 (.385 AVG) and 2 RBI.

BRK 3B Levi Meyerle is named the NL Player of the Week. He also went 5-9 with 1 HR and 2 RBI. For the year he is 6-14 (.429 AVG), 1 HR and 2 RBI.

Boston fell to T-2 in the Power Rankings this week behind Cleveland Forest Citys and are now tied with Brooklyn and St.Louis. 

April 23rd, Game 4 (2-1)

Brooklyn - 12  13  3

Boston - 6  9  6

W: Bobby Mathews (3-1, 3.34) L: Rynie Wolters (1-1, 4.50)

BOS SP Rynie Wolters 9 IP 13 H 4 ER 1 HR BB

BRK SP Bobby Mathews 9 IP 9 H 3 ER K

BRK SS Davy Force 3-5 3 R 2 RBI 

BRK 3B Levi Meyerle 1-5 1 R 1 HR 2 RBI

ATT: 1110

Well thats not how I wanted to start the series at all. Wolters again got lit up in his start allowing 13 hits but the defence wasn't able to bail him out this time as we committed 6 errors. The game was tied after 4 at 4 runs a piece. However Brooklyn would proceed to scored 3 runs in the 6th and 4 runs in the 9th to cement our loss. It was actually 8-5 going into the 9th and I had a glimmer of hope but that all came crashing down as Wolters loaded the bases in the 9th. Funny thing is he got 2 outs after loading them but Davy Force came in and snuck a hit into left to score 2 runs. BOS CF Sam Jackson went 2-3 in his return with 2 RBI's meaning he hasn't skipped a beat after missing literally all of Spring Training and the 1st series of the campaign.

PHI CF Tom York (4.5*/5*) wins AL Player of the Week going 4-6 and getting 3 RBI. He is hitting 6-20 (.300) on the season getting 3 RBI.

CHI LF Fred Treacey (5*) wins NL Player of the Week going 3-4 for 2 HR's and 4 RBI. He is hitting 6-16 (.375) on the season for 2 HR's and 7 RBI.

Power Rankings are out we are 5th place tied with Cleveland. Brooklyn moves into top spot. 

BAL C Deacon White injures himself while cleaning his handgun. Shoots his own foot and is out at least a month. 

April 30th, Game 5 (2-2)

Oops nevermind. Game was postponed due to bad weather in Boston.

PHI CF Tom York (4.5*/5*) wins AL Player of the Week going 4-5 for 2 HR's, 5 RBI's and 5 Runs. He is hitting 10-25 (.400) on the season for 2 HR's and 8 RBI. 

CIN 2B Wes Fisler (3*/4*) wins NL Player of the Week going 4-5 for 3 RBI's. He is hitting 5-23 (.217) on the season for 4 RBI.

PHI CF Tom York also wins AL Batter of the Month for April for the stats I mentioned above (season stats).

CHI CF Fred Treacey (5*) win NL Batter of the Month for April. He hit .333 (7-21) with 3 HR's and 9 RBI.

STL SP Cherokee Fisher (2*) wins AL Pitcher of the Month for April. He is 4-1 with a 2.09 ERA and 2 K.

BRK SP Bobby Mathews (3.5*/5*) wins NL Pitcher of the Month for April. He is 3-1 with a 3.34 ERA and 2 K.

STL SP Cherokee Fisher also wins AL Rookie of the Month for April for the stats I mentioned above (season stats).

CHI CF Fred Treacey also wins NL Rookie of the Month for April for the stats I mentions above (season stats).

Power Rankings are out and we moved up to 4th without playing a game. St.Louis moves up to 1st.

STL SP Cherokee Fisher (2*) wins AL Player of the Week going 1-0 with a 1.00 ERA. He is 5-1 with a 1.90 ERA.

CIN RF George Heubel (2*) wins NL Player of the Week going 3-4 with 1 RBI. He is hitting 10-26 (.385) on the year with 7 RBI.

Next we have a double header against Brooklyn.

May 8th, Game 5 (Afternoon, 2-2)

Brooklyn -  5  10  6

Boston -  6  8  9

W: John McMullin (2-1, 3.33) L: Bobby Mathews (3-2, 2.93)

BOS SP John McMullin 9 IP 10 H 1 ER BB 2K

BOS 2B Warren White 2-4 2 R 1 RBI

ATT: 854

Well it wasn't the prettiest game. Our guys tried really hard to throw the game away in the top of the 9th. We had 3 errors if I recall. 9 on the day and it's not like McMullin was on his game too as he allowed 10 hits. Luckily most were for singles. BOS 2B Warren White really wants to get his place on the field knowing if he has a bad series Patterson will get a chance to replace him as he is the better defender. Now onwards to the night game!

May 8th, Game 6 (Night, 3-2)

Brooklyn -  14  16  9

Boston -  9  14  9

W: Bobby Mathews (4-2, 3.46) L: Rynie Wolters (1-2, 5.00)

BOS SP Rynie Wolters 9 IP  16 H  6 ER  BB

BRK 1B Joe Start  4-6  2 R  1 RBI

BRK 3B Levi Meyerle  2-6  3 R  HR  3 RBI

The difference in this game? We didn't score not once but TWICE with the bases loaded. That's right, we had the bases loaded once with no outs and once with 1 out and we couldn't muster a single freaking hit. I almost broke my laptop I was so frustrated. Stupid game. I'm very disappointed in the result as our 2 and 3 hitters are batting a whooping .207 and .138 on the year (Waterman and McVey). Wolters has also been a disappointment allowing 10+ hits every start so far. Waterman and McVey actually could be hitting a lot worse too, because Waterman had 2 hits this game with McVey getting 1. So let that sink it on how bad they are doing. Oh and Levi Meyerle hit his 2 HR against us in the series so theres that. Overall, sad way to end the series vs Brooklyn considering the 9th inning of the game we almost threw away.