Claimed:What's In A Name? [Reviewed] [Reviewed]

Kendrick

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

There are times in this league where I am straight up baffled by the names of certain players. Many know me as a guy who goes straight from the book and needs to "relax" a bit. That might ring true more times than not but I credit that to my parents who were pretty set on providing ultimate structure and running efficiently on a straight edge personality. When a good name comes across my screen on here I either chuckle or become jealous that the user created it before I did. I tend to stick it out with my players for long careers, so my ability to create new names every once and awhile are limited. Da Trifecta is a guy who creates more often than others so the name creation thing comes so frequently for him, which can be quite fun. I'm here to tell you the stories behind the names I've created and also enlighten you on some of the names I've liked over the years.

JOEY KENDRICK

This is as obvious as they come in regards to name creation. Much like Alex McNeil, Steven Smyr or Sandro Desaulniers; I created a player with my actual name. Kendrick had a solid career and ended up in the Hall-of-Fame when his career was all said and done. I wasn't born Joey Kendrick in real life, but it has a connection to my father who was actually Mr. Kendrick before he started his job. Technically it would be my real surname if my dad had gone by it for work. That's pretty much the skinny on this created player though.

TORSTEN SCHWARZ

If anyone here is a big Football fan (European) and or specifically German Football, you'll know the name Torsten Frings. I guess in theory you could be a Toronto FC fan to know who he is as well. Anyways, Torsten was a great midfielder who could be found on Werder Bremen at the time and was a player I got the chance to meet in Germany before he made his way across to Toronto. I named my players first name after him and the last name was more of an ode to my mothers maiden name. Below is a little glimpse at the man this name entered around:

MALCOLM KELLY

Malcolm Kelly was a blend of a couple things when it came to creating. Before anyone trues and takes a guess, just know that this name was not created after former Washington Redskins 6'4" receiver of the same name. Malcolm was a tribute to one of my best friends in New Jersey before I moved from the Garden State. The name Kelly was the name of my current girlfriend at the time and I altered the name a bit. Turns out I broke up with that girlfriend and she ended up dating former Winnipeg Jets forward James Wright (no joke). This was the shortest career I had with one player and sadly he might have actually done some damage if I stuck with him longer than four years.

46921_Redskins_Camp_Football.jpg

JAKUB KJELDSEN

This name was completely made up using "Random Name Generator" but I also altered it a little. Jakub was a Danish goaltender and the name as I'm told isn't really even Danish. I liked the name Jakub because I found Jacob to be a boring version of the name. Kjeldsen just sounded cool in my head but I'll admit that it was hard to pronounce for podcasts. I think Kjeldsen has Hall-of-Fame numbers, but I have never even tried to vote him into the HOF either.

KASEY BRAUN

This one is a little bit more of a tricky story than the rest of the names. Braun is easy because I was and still am a big Ryan Braun fan. He had some issues with steroids but I honestly think if he didn't do steroids he would be a pretty productive player, it's just a shame that he did them and tarnished his name. Kasey is the name of my brother and I figured I'd tribute something to him as well as he was the only brother I had. Unfortunately my brother is no longer with us but he taught me a lot about sports before he left.

braunx-large.jpg

KAMERON TAYLOR

Kameron was the name my parents named me when I came into the world. So if you are keeping track, I was Kameron until the age of 16 when I became Joey legally. The Taylor part came from something pretty silly in fact. Ms. Taylor was one of my professors in school and she was the only one that actually had a strong connection with her students. She seemed to show a lot of empathy to students and I digged that because other professors seemed to be pretty cut throat. The two names seemed to mesh well and it's cool that both my HOF players have an actual connection to me.

MASON RICHARDSON

No this isn't named after Mason Raymond in anyway, as if I did that I'd probably fall down while typing that create-a-player place up. Mason just came from my wife being one of those hipsters and having Mason jars as glasses in the cupboard. It might just be a Vancouver thing but Mason Jars make for great glasses. Richardson comes from Brad Richardson who I was a fan of back in his Los Angeles King days. Once again both names combined nicely and it made for a pretty sweet name.

Richardson-Kings-practice.jpg

TYSON KOHLER

Tyson was the name of another good friend of mine but also I had just watched the Mike Tyson documentary on Netflix. This name was almost made because of Netflix & Chill, but not quite. Kohler just sounded like a cool name and I probably got it from the company who shares the same name. The company is an instrument company so hopeful my player isn't a tool.

I mentioned I'd share some of the names I liked over the years but never actually chose. C.J. Quinn was a player name that was created by Lenny if I remember correctly. Matt Bailey was created by Quik and I quite enjoyed that name. Lukas Nyqvist was created by a little known member named Motzaburger and I actually had this exact name picked out for a player, but that player became Mason Richardson.

Review:

I'm a little confused about the legal name change at 16 but all that aside, this is a very good article. Nothing major in the grammar department, very well done. Sorry to hear about your bro. Also, Mason jars aren't just a Vancouver thing, we have several in our cupboard, too and I'm in the states. Thanks for the insight, great idea for an article.

Review:

Great article, always interesting to see the reasoning behind a name, and the adding a YouTube video was cool. Sounds like you really put a lot of thought into your names. I think it's a little funny that you have all these names coming after players or people you know, and then Mason jars are just thrown in there(speaking of which, Not sure if I've ever drank from one but we use them a lot back at home). I will have to say though that I can never support a player named after Ryan Braun. Just no

1068 words :D