Claimed:Helsinki still GOAT [Reviewed]

Will

• Senior Admin

160818123136-self-driving-bus-2-780x439.

Proving yet again that they are the greatest VHL team of all time, the Helsinki Titans have embraced with open arms the City of Helsinki's plan to litter the streets with energy-efficent, self-driving buses. Although still in the testing phase, there are currently two of these driver-less transportation vehicles roaming the lonely streets of Helsinki - and one of them is dedicated to the shuttling of Helsinki Titan players and staff.

It all started when the City of Helsinki announced their plan to enhance public transportation and make car ownership in the city scarce. Not only to limit the pollution of harmful greenhouse gases emitted by cars, but also to soften the problem of gridlock which plagues cities around the globe. Now, the Helsinki Titans have a long history of community involvement - they are, after all, Helsinki's one and only claim to fame - and this new campaign with fancy buses is no exception.

The Titans organization, now headed by known tree-hugger @Daniel, reached out to the city to express interest in using the buses for team functions, to promote it to the rest of the city. It's worth noting that the General Manager of the Helsinki Titans typically has more power over the city than the mayor himself, so of course the city accepted and even upped the agreement. One of the two buses would be dedicated, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to fetch and drive any member of the Titan's organization to wherever they may need to go. It also takes each player to and from practices or games played at the Hartwall Arena. 

You may notice in the picture, these buses are quite small to be filled with hockey players! Fear not, the small roster sizes that the VHL boasts prove to be advantageous in this respect, although some 'overlap' is still sometimes required. From a promotion point of view, the Titans endorsement of these new buses has proved to be exceed even the highest expectations. 97% of Helsinki residents now approve of the City spending their entire 2017 and 2018 budgets on these new buses. This could be an issue if road maintenance is neglected, as the buses would then risk damages. However, we're told by an insider that the buses are also available with a lift kit and high-pressure all-terrain tires so perhaps that wouldn't be a problem.

Overall, a very good thing for the City and the Titans. Former Helsinki Titans General Manager Donald F. Draper, who is strangely still on the payroll listed as 'Drunkard-in-Chief', had this to say:

"This is a great move by the Helsinki organization to further grow their fan base and get involved with their community. Personally, I would love to be stuck in a confined space such as one of these buses with Thor Odinsson."

the real news story

Review:

Buses and Gases. I think you spelled it right half the time. Also, energy-efficient auto-corrected to efficant. 

the Titans endorsement of these new buses has proved to be exceed even the highest expectations  ‹- IDK what this means

Nice job with this. Definitely better than the crappy media spots I come up with.  Everything else checks out. Keep it up!

• Senior Admin
40 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I would never want a self-driving vehicle just because they can't adapt to rapid changes on the road like humans can. 

don't know that i'd want one either but im pretty sure there is cars on the road today with technology specifically designed to adapt to rapid changes on the road better than a human can.

it's not like we're that good at it, if you actually have time to know that you're about to get into a crash before you get into a crash then I feel like it's basically panic and hope for the best.

Just now, Draper said:

don't know that i'd want one either but im pretty sure there is cars on the road today with technology specifically designed to adapt to rapid changes on the road better than a human can

Yeah, things like auto-braking and self-parking.

1 minute ago, Draper said:

don't know that i'd want one either but im pretty sure there is cars on the road today with technology specifically designed to adapt to rapid changes on the road better than a human can

I'm sure computer cars probably have faster reaction time to obvious things like a car making a quick stop in front of you or a car turning into you. But the decision making for where to go to dodge it is where the human brain is still better, such as seeing if there is a shoulder to go to, are you in a two lane road and can dodge to other lane, could you dodge to the other side of the ride if there is no incoming traffic, or would it be better to just hit a wall or a tree?

• Senior Admin
Just now, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

Yeah, things like auto-braking and self-parking.

yes, i was thinking specifically about the cars with 'collision avoidance systems' that take over complete control of the car if it detects an imminent crash

• Senior Admin
11 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I'm sure computer cars probably have faster reaction time to obvious things like a car making a quick stop in front of you or a car turning into you. But the decision making for where to go to dodge it is where the human brain is still better, such as seeing if there is a shoulder to go to, are you in a two lane road and can dodge to other lane, could you dodge to the other side of the ride if there is no incoming traffic, or would it be better to just hit a wall or a tree?

well jeeze if a self-driving car couldn't see a shoulder or see if there was traffic on the other side of the road than I don't think you can call it a self-driving car :lol:

On 8/18/2016 at 11:16 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

I would never want a self-driving vehicle just because they can't adapt to rapid changes on the road like humans can. 

This is actually a false sentiment. The majority of "rapid changes" that occur on the road that cause accidents or dangerous situations are caused by humans. When self driving cars make up 80-90% of the cars on the road, the road will be much much safer. Humans have a tendency to be impatient, speed/slow down at strange times, get distracted while driving, cut each other off and generally make moves that would be considered not smart, only because they are either stressed or have various mood related things affecting their state while operating. A big issue with humans as well while driving any machinery is the comfortable and casualness they begin to show after they have successfully been doing it for a while. This can lead to a lazier driver, who misses or under estimates things based on a history of "I've always done this." But it's just too much to expect a human to be consistently very cautious, because there is an illusion of safety while driving. It's easy to forget that your actually going hundreds of KM an hour in something that weighs as much as a car, and can easily kill you or anything you come into contact with without a second chance.