World Juniors

jack

That Sweden-Russia game was really good. I don't know if Finland or Canada can take down Sweden, they are just so freaking stacked this year.

In Fucale we trust!

To be honest if it wasn't for Dansk and some lucky breaks either with calls and the post Russia would of taken them down. Russia dominated the majority of that game. But man was it ever an entertaining hockey game. That third period was crazy. Looking forward to Canada/Finland for sure hope it is at least half as good as Russia/Sweden. The big brawl at the end just made it even more exciting. 

Hockey has been high quality as of the last few years all over the place to be honest. 

Well that was a joke of a game on Canada's part. Yeah the Drouin penalty likely shouldn't of been called but Canada was acting like a bunch of spoiled children. When they finally settled down and played the game they still were getting out hustled by Finland who looked like a reincarnation of the old trap New Jersey Devils. Finland played smarter and out worked Canada when it mattered. What is that now 6 years for Canada without a Gold in World Jr? 

I know I'm a terrible Canadian hockey fan but I always like it when we get humbled. Because I want it to humble our god damn fan base. We aren't the only hot shit in the hockey world and this Country needs to wise up and learn that. Although I am excited to see Canada vs Russia again for the Bronze. 

Pretty sure real hockey fans realize that Canada isn't guaranteed a medal. Sweden, USA, Russia are all elite. Finland is always strong and Czech/Slovakia provided good competition even Switzerland is starting to make a lot of ground in the last while. If a goalie gets hot it can get a team into the semis in a tourney like this too.

It just sucks to lose, when the rosters where announced I predicted a 2nd place finish behind Sweden, now it'll be a battle with Russia for 3rd. Either way I hope we get a good game with Russia tomorrow morning.

Pretty sure real hockey fans realize that Canada isn't guaranteed a medal. Sweden, USA, Russia are all elite. Finland is always strong and Czech/Slovakia provided good competition even Switzerland is starting to make a lot of ground in the last while. If a goalie gets hot it can get a team into the semis in a tourney like this too.

It just sucks to lose, when the rosters where announced I predicted a 2nd place finish behind Sweden, now it'll be a battle with Russia for 3rd. Either way I hope we get a good game with Russia tomorrow morning.

I know but "real" hockey fans and just people who cheer for Canada in hockey are completely different things. I feel bad for the kids though. But when all the hype videos and all the country puts all this weight on these kids it can really have an affect on the game. Like the report on what the Fins coaching staff said in between period 2 and 3, go have fun the pressure is on Canada not on us. That is how we should treat this stuff. These are young kids having the chance to live their dreams and play in an international competition representing their Country. Winning is important and we should try to win, but if we make mistakes or get frustrated the type of feedback you can sometimes see from Canadian fans is outright awful. If that overt pressure didn't exist it's likely that some of these players may not put so much weight of the situation on themselves at times. 

Few reasons they didn't win:

1. They decided to choose role players. No other team choses role players, they chose their best players and go shot for shot against you.

2. Finland is good and has been good for awhile, people were assuming Canada would walk over them. Finland is no slouch.

3. Goaltending. Goaltending. Goaltending! Not that Fucale is horrible but Devise is right, a hot goalie gets you through these. Canada needs to go after the best Goaltending in the country, not the "sexy" choices!

Well that was a joke of a game on Canada's part. Yeah the Drouin penalty likely shouldn't of been called but Canada was acting like a bunch of spoiled children. When they finally settled down and played the game they still were getting out hustled by Finland who looked like a reincarnation of the old trap New Jersey Devils. Finland played smarter and out worked Canada when it mattered. What is that now 6 years for Canada without a Gold in World Jr? 

I know I'm a terrible Canadian hockey fan but I always like it when we get humbled. Because I want it to humble our god damn fan base. We aren't the only hot shit in the hockey world and this Country needs to wise up and learn that. Although I am excited to see Canada vs Russia again for the Bronze. 

I know a couple people like you and you sir are an asshole :P 

Fucale performs well in big games and has the resume to back him up, the loss wasn't his fault. Finland had a super PK unit that blocked out Canada passing lanes and shots.

Yes they are only kids, but they are intense and well trained athletes at only 16-19 years old. They aren't just playing for 'fun', it's about making it as a hockey player and being successful which means winning. Besides anyone can tell you that winning is the funnest part, this isn't peewee house league. Having support at home and the arena filled with Canadians is more motivation than pressure for these guys.

Few reasons they didn't win:

1. They decided to choose role players. No other team choses role players, they chose their best players and go shot for shot against you.

2. Finland is good and has been good for awhile, people were assuming Canada would walk over them. Finland is no slouch.

3. Goaltending. Goaltending. Goaltending! Not that Fucale is horrible but Devise is right, a hot goalie gets you through these. Canada needs to go after the best Goaltending in the country, not the "sexy" choices!

The fact that goaltending is on your list makes me question your judgement.

Wasn't a junior goalie in the country who wins us that game, and Fucale was very solid besides the one goal (which..without that remarkable save before wouldn't have even happened).

Edited by Advantage

The fact that goaltending is on your list makes me question your judgement.

Wasn't a junior goalie in the country who wins us that game, and Fucale was very solid besides the one goal (which..without that remarkable save before wouldn't have even happened).

I said he wasn't horrible. I never said that directly he was bad. I said that a hot goaltender can help you cruise through these tournaments (ex. Switzerland with Hiller). I'm just saying that from what I saw/heard/experienced they had their minds made up on the Goaltenders before the selections came to light. A healthy competition is something that goes a long way.

I said he wasn't horrible. I never said that directly he was bad. I said that a hot goaltender can help you cruise through these tournaments (ex. Switzerland with Hiller). I'm just saying that from what I saw/heard/experienced they had their minds made up on the Goaltenders before the selections came to light. A healthy competition is something that goes a long way.

Take any junior goalie in Canada and we still lose today.  So I don't really understand how you can say goaltending was one of the reasons we lost...that's kind of my point.

Take any junior goalie in Canada and we still lose today.  So I don't really understand how you can say goaltending was one of the reasons we lost...that's kind of my point.

All kendrick is saying is that you need a hot goalie sometimes in this tournament that steals you a game or two. Furcale was amazing in the USA game but didn't make the one save today. He would be the last guy you blame today though 

All kendrick is saying is that you need a hot goalie sometimes in this tournament that steals you a game or two. Furcale was amazing in the USA game but didn't make the one save today. He would be the last guy you blame today though 

I get what he is saying..I'm just saying that doesn't really coordinate with how we lost today, which was the original point (that goaltending was one of the three reasons).

Edited by Advantage

I get what he is saying..I'm just saying that doesn't really coordinate with how we lost today, which was the original point (that goaltending was one of the three reasons).

I was kind of lumping my 3 reasons with a combination of today and the overall tournament. Fucale can't be blamed for this game.

I'd say Patterson deserves more blame (through the Czech game alone) given Fucale played okay against Slovakia but dominated the USA and played solid against the Swiss.  He was pretty decent today but unfortunately the rest of the team was putrid.