Claimed:Five Thoughts: ASG Edition

Devise

Welcome to a new MS idea of mine, although I'd argue it's not new at all, that is to say the idea of writing down a series of shorter thoughts that don't have to be completely connected as opposed to one giant article on a topic is not entirely new. More so something new for me to do. The long and short of the story as to why I want to begin a feature like this is that I have tons of thoughts on things. I always find that if I ramble on for 3-5 Paragraphs on a single topic that I can generally beat that topic into the ground. That said I still actually feel I have some thoughts to contribute on some things, so I figured instead we will take a one paragraph per topic approach, so here we go.

ASG Delays Continue Typical Trend for S51

I mean I probably should just call the title to this Season 51 gong show. Because it's just been that, and the amount of things that continue are starting to push 51 into being one of the worst seasons in VHL history. We've already seen enough talk about the lack of parity, the inconsistent statistics/overall sim results. But you can add a lackluster trade deadline, (although it's usually lack luster) an updater issue that has caused the VHLM to miss some sims, and then we flat out missed the All Star game date we set. So far in fact that we didn't even have Captains much less rosters selected by the Sunday set date of the game. Captains are getting selected now and @Phil has taken over the duties of running the ASG from this point forward. His diligence and charm, as well as organization skills should ensure we have better run ASG games in the future. This isn't going to be about blame, as I know that a lot got piled on the Blue Team all at once and there was some communication issues going on. However I will say that it's typical as the trend for 51 just continues to be a general state of bummer. Which is probably good for us that it's close to being over and we can all be a bit more optimistic heading into 52. 

More VHLM Involvement in ASG Moving Forward

Given all the delays, Higgins surprised everyone when he announced that we would have an impromptu gimmick game that pit the current future of the league, aka the majority of the active players in the VHLM. They formed a complete team to face the two line Flashbacks which were a slightly less TPE/just out of VHLM version of current VHL all stars. It was, a relatively neat but ultimately novel idea that I think Higgins was using as a band-aid to quell the league during delays of sims and other activities. While there was nothing wrong with it, I think it just highlights a bit more that we should probably have something for VHLM players to do during All Star Week as well. Whether that means we get a VHLM ASG running at the same time with it's own draft/selection of players. In the past we have sometimes gone with a Young Stars game, this season we obviously went to the aforementioned Future/Flashbacks but it's about time we set something for that in stone. I think the criticism of the lack of interest in VHLM certainly exists, and these are the type of things were we should be giving equal attention to each league, as it really doesn't take much extra effort. Besides I'm sure resident VHLM Activist @ADwyer87 would be happy run the VHLM version of an ASG starting next season since we have Phil running the VHL one. 

ASG Draft Being Held In The Dark

For those who aren't aware the All Star Draft is currently happening. Phil announced that they would be doing a dark draft format, and I think it's interesting that we are going this direction. I know this could just be a one season stop gap, but I'd like to argue against that and going with this format more traditionally. As much as I'm sure everyone loves a good live draft, having enough people online as it is going on to care about each individual pick, whilst also trying to organize with the two GM's a good time to draft is tough. Where as I think that you could get post draft conversation if the draft results were released at the same time as the ASG roster results I think you could see a bit more discussion in that topic. I guess I'm just saying it would localize the entire discussion ASG draft, teams, who made the team, and that is probably the smart move. Combining that with the ASG related point tasks I think we will see enough ASG interest to keep it being something people can look forward to. 

Change The Way We Elect Captains

Okay so yes I'm saying change change a lot here. But come on. The original intent of having people elect Captains, was so we could get a good theme or rivalry going between the two elected. The Captains would then act as GM's drafting the rosters and setting lines. But when we just make it a wide poll for individual members, we could end up in a situation where two parties who aren't even remotely rivals or simply the two most popular members would be elected. I'm not saying we still can't have a member wide application process. We should. But don't make it elect one member. Make the Captains have to "team up" to pitch a theme/rivalry idea s to why the two members should be elected as equal captains. And then the league would simply vote on the two members in question. An example of that would be the Cleganebowl movement we saw in this years selection. Or the Sterling vs Phil or Kendrick vs Myself rivalries we've presented in previous editions. Ultimately I think formalizing the process so that people apply in pairs allows the rivalry aspect of it take hold, while making the voting and selection process far less complicated. 

Try a Rotating ASG Team Selection Process

As someone who participated in talk to turn the All Star Game into this draft over election format, I also think we shouldn't just assume this the only format that works. We have proved in the past that the draft format is a good one, and I don't feel we should out right abandon it. But I also think that we could rotate the ASG player selection format every off year, to sync with the World Cup. In the second player selection format we could run a straight up European versus American Conference theme. Captains could still be voted on as per the community, and they would still be responsible for creating a team. The only difference on a Captain perspective would be each one would have to represent each Conference. Instead of a draft format, we would have similar to World Cup the GM building a roster from the eligible All Stars from that conference. The BoG already decides on the final "ballot" of ASG with a few remaining players elected in by the community, and this could still operate the same, with the only difference being that a set number of players would be elected from each conference. This theme would fit in more with the World Cup and would add an older element we used to have in ASG with the NA vs EU aspect. While strength of players in each conference could be an issue, I feel like highlighting a lack of conference parity like this should encourage players to move around a bit more. Besides it isn't like we have a history of one conference just dominating the league. It generally goes up and down and waves, and that would be why we rotate the format between this and the draft process. 

Edited by Mr. Power

• weird stats I can see why that would be annoying, but lack of parity doesn't bother me. If they put in the FA work more power to em! That just makes me really root for Cologne haha. VHLM situation was just a berfect shitstorm.
  • i can organize stuffs. I don't have STHS though, fair warning
  • i thought that was how we always did drafts? At least when I did mine that was how we did it.
  • i really don't see a problem with how we pick captains now. There always seems to be a group trying to make a case for rivalry pairing, with the annual CleganeBowl thing and last year you and Kendrick. But considering I know nothing of you and Kendrick's rivalry, and @Victor is stupid, I never care and just vote for my favorite guys haha
  • the rotating ASG thing seems cool.

7 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

ASG Draft Being Held In The Dark

Phil announced that they would be doing a dark draft format, and I think it's interesting that we are going this direction. I know this could just be a one season stop gap, but I'd like to argue against that and going with this format more traditionally. 

It was just for this season :) With the confusion of the start of the ASG, and you know, it being Thursday evening when I was officially appointed, that did not give me, der meister, or robbie much time to try to find a time that would work for us all, so it was best that if we wanted the game done for Sunday to chip away at it over the course of the day today. Ideally, as you said, a live draft would have been much more preferable.....

...which is why I did those two ASG Draft Podcasts... so those that wanted to follow along could see where and how everyone was drafted. 

I will be posting the Official Roster when I get up tomorrow morning somewhere.. just gotta figure out the best place for them ahaha.

PS----> I've always been a fan of these types of articles and generally do them when I write MSs :D