Claimed:Grading the All-Star Draft

scoop

(for mist4ke) if I weren't lazy after writing all this, I'd format it more nicely.. no, I'm ashamed of how horrendous it looks I have to make it better nah fuck it I'm lazy

Grading the All-Star Draft

We're now making some progress toward the All-Star Game, with the draft having happened yesterday. Rumor has it there will be predictions for the All-Star Game, which would mean that the game has to be delayed a few more days if this is the case. The results of the draft are currently only available in podcast form, which makes them not entirely accessible as some people don't bother with listening to them. I'm guessing that Phil will make a roster announcement in text format later today, at which point the predictions will go up. At this point, I wonder if it would be better to simply delay the All-Star Game to the off day between the regular season and playoffs.

Here I am to ruin Phil's plan, though. At the moment, if you want to know the results of the draft, you must listen to his podcast. They aren't long and are certainly worth listening to, so if you haven't, I would encourage that you do. However, I am about to detail the draft, as I'll be going through and grading each pick. Without further ado, let's get this started!

1. Team Robbie - C Sir William Covington III - Grade: N/A

Whether Robbie was forced to pick his player first or not, I do not know for sure. I think Phil said this was the deal in exchange for giving him the first pick in the first place, but Robbie also said he would've picked his player first anyway. I won't judge this pick, but Covington wouldn't be the first pick given different circumstances.

2. Team der meister - LW Zach Parechkin - Grade: A

Parechkin is probably the best choice you could make, but his stats last season would not back that up, so I won't quite give the A+ here. He's leading the league in goals by a significant margin this season. He's an MVP candidate and the only Boulet candidate this season.

3. Team Robbie - D Black Velvet - Grade: B

I don't feel too strongly about picking Velvet over Phil Hamilton. Velvet does have the slight edge in points, but Hamilton is a more complete player. Unless Robbie was planning to take Jeff Hamilton to get two of the top three defensemen, I think Koponen would've been the proper pick here.

4. Team der meister - D Phil Hamilton - Grade: A

With Velvet off the board, der meister has to make sure he gets the other top defenseman. His 228 hits lead all blue-liners this season, and he's leading his Cologne Express in points. Great pick here.

5. Team Robbie - G Sandro Clegane - Grade: C-

He's poised to break the shutouts record, yes, but I don't understand picking him over the other Clegane. Nor do I entirely understand picking him over Weinstein. Greg has historically been better than Sandro, but I suppose Robbie went with his Riga teammate.

6. Team der meister - C Aleksi Koponen - Grade: A

There's no question whose draft I'm more impressed with so far. Koponen is second behind Parechkin in points and has easily the best face-off percentage in the league. He's the leader on a stacked Calgary team; I think he'll do marvelous on a stacked All-Star team.

7. Team Robbie - C Max Molholt - Grade: B

Molholt is rebounding from an uncharacteristically poor S50 in which he had just 40 goals and 83 points. He's third in goals (52) and points (109) while helping give Toronto hope to take down the Wranglers and attempt the four-peat.

8. Team der meister - D Jeff Hamilton - Grade: A+

Jeff Hamilton is the reason I didn't give the Koponen pick a perfect score. Given that there are three elite defensemen to choose from, I think Jeff Hamilton should've been snagged sooner. He has 97 points this season after splitting the Labatte Trophy last season.

9. Team Robbie - RW Tyson Kohler - Grade A-

With two centers already on the team, I can see why Robbie would opt for Kohler over Unassisted. This is the first season that Kohler has been ahead of Unassisted offensively, and he's tied with Molholt at 52 goals for second in the league.

10. Team der meister - C Unassisted - Grade: A

Despite Kohler having more points than Unassisted this season, I do think the latter is the better player. That's not a dig at Kohler in any way; they are both remarkable. S51 will be Unassisted's third straight with 100+ points assuming he makes it; he led the league in S50 with 109 points.

11. Team Robbie - RW Shawn Muller - Grade: C

Of the players available at this point, Muller has the most points this season at 95, but I don't necessarily think that makes him the next best forward available. He's been steadily improving throughout his career, but this might be too early to pick him.

12. Team der meister - G Greg Clegane - Grade: A

Greg Clegane is posting a 0.940 save percentage for Toronto this season. I'd have a hard time saying he's not the best goalie in the league right now. With Robbie having taken Sandro Clegane early, if der meister had let Greg Clegane fall any further, he may have lost him.

13. Team Robbie - D Shayne Gow - Grade: C+

I get that Robbie wanted to get a second defeneman, but I'm not sure Gow is the best available at this point. I'm also not convinced that he isn't, as Free and Kyanon have had inconsistent careers. Gow definitely isn't a slam dunk pick though.

14. Team der meister - LW Thor Odinsson - Grade: C-

No, Odinsson is not a bad player. But as far as forwards go, I think he's clearly not the best available. He's had an impressive start to his career, but there are more established players who are better than him.

15. Team Robbie - RW Niels Skovgaard - Grade: C-

Skovgaard is not one of those forwards to which I'm referring, so I'll slap the same grade on him. Between these two, I think it's a toss-up; Skovgaard hasn't been incredible throughout his career, but he does have more experience.

16. Team der meister - D World B. Free - Grade: B-

As far as physical defensemen go, Rodriguez may have been the better selection. Free has been a bit better on the offensive end this season, but historically he hasn't really been much better than Rodriguez, if at all.

17. Team Robbie - G Jakob Holik - Grade: D+

If you're going to take a goalie here, which isn't in itself a mistake, you should take the best one available. As with Sandro over Greg Clegane, I don't understand the selection of Holik over Weinstein, the more established goalie.

18. Team der meister - RW John Sleeman - Grade: A

It's about time Sleeman goes off the board. He had 86 points in his first season as a forward in S50, and he is currently at 89 this season. He has an impressive 46 goals, which is tied for fifth. To go along with that, he has the second most hits at 299.

19. Team Robbie - LW Tom Lincoln - Grade: A+

This is probably the highest value pick of the draft. Over the past three seasons, he's averaged 48.7 goals and 103.3 points per season. At 44 goals and 94 points right now, he'll be right around those marks again this season.

20. Team der meister - G Ariel Weinstein - Grade: A+

Another great value pick. I think der meister ended up with the best two goalies even though they were available to Robbie when he took others. Except for Sandro Clegane's impressive S48, Weinstein has been the better player every season.

21. Team Robbie - D Biggu Kyanon - Grade: A-

Kyanon has had a bit of a rocky career, but I do think he's the best defenseman available here. You could make a case for Rodriguez, given Kyanon's defensive shortcomings, but overall I prefer the Cannon and his experience.

22. Team der meister - D David Hamilton - Grade: C

I can see the allure of picking Hamilton and completing not only the trio of Hamiltons, but also the quartet of Western Europe defensemen. The familiarity between the players is the only thing keeping this from being a lower grade, because Rodriguez is definitely the better player.

23. Team Robbie - D Felipe Rodriguez - Grade: A-

Rodriguez could be the fourth best defenseman in the All-Star Game. Yes, he has just 55 points, but he has 226 hits as well. Still, with this pick, Robbie could've elected to make his choice of the remaining goalies, as der meister already had his defense filled.

24. Team der meister - G Atticus von Braxton IV - Grade: B-

Well, Robbie gifted der meister the opportunity to make his choice of goalie, and I don't necessarily think it's an easy one to make. Dadonov has arguably had the better career, but I don't think this pick is as big of a mistake as Robbie's goalie choices earlier in the draft.

25. Team Robbie - G Dmitri Dadonov - Grade: B-

There really isn't much to say. He's about on the same level as Braxton, and Robbie had no choice here. Dadonov was noticeably better in S50 and has performed better this season, but an argument could be made for Braxton.

26. Team der meister - C Joel Jarvi - Grade: B-

Jarvi is nothing too special. He ha just 70 points, with the next lowest forward being Sleeman at 89. I can't really fault der meister for picking him though, considering he's the only player available. He's earned his spot in the game, but he's outclassed by the rest of the forwards.

Edited by Streetlight

Lol me getting c grades for early picks lol.  my team is a offensive powerhouse with 2 great goalies. also keep in mind I made all these picks while driving on the busiest highway in North America the 401. I think this will be an easy win for Team Robbie. he went with a more defensive team but the Allstar game should be a goal scoring affair not a low scoring one.  but hey that's my opinion

5 minutes ago, KingRobbie said:

Lol me getting c grades for early picks lol.  my team is a offensive powerhouse with 2 great goalies. also keep in mind I made all these picks while driving on the busiest highway in North America the 401. I think this will be an easy win for Team Robbie. he went with a more defensive team but the Allstar game should be a goal scoring affair not a low scoring one.  but hey that's my opinion

I mean, it's not like his forwards are all that weak. I'd say he has three top tier forwards (Koponen, Parechkin, Unassisted) while you have two (Molholt, Kohler). Then you have four mid-tier while he has just two, with Jarvi bringing up the rear. Lincoln is probably the next closest to top tier though, so good on you for eventually picking him.

His goalies are better than yours though. Yeah, you have two great goalies, but he has two better goalies. G. Clegane and Weinstein are both better than S. Clegane and Holik.

But it's just an exhibition game and anything can happen. I just needed something to write about and I wasn't about to just hand out A's and B's for every pick.

3 hours ago, Streetlight said:

I mean, it's not like his forwards are all that weak. I'd say he has three top tier forwards (Koponen, Parechkin, Unassisted) while you have two (Molholt, Kohler). Then you have four mid-tier while he has just two, with Jarvi bringing up the rear. Lincoln is probably the next closest to top tier though, so good on you for eventually picking him.

His goalies are better than yours though. Yeah, you have two great goalies, but he has two better goalies. G. Clegane and Weinstein are both better than S. Clegane and Holik.

But it's just an exhibition game and anything can happen. I just needed something to write about and I wasn't about to just hand out A's and B's for every pick.

Both better? eh... Yes both his goalies are better then Holik but Holik is great still. But S. Clegane is better then those two but that's my opinion. All I know is that my team is built to run and gun and his team is built to stop me. One team is gonna have to fail

On 10/29/2016 at 4:14 AM, Streetlight said:

hey fuck you guy pt.2

• 4 weeks later...