I Will Never Top Max

Molholt

I think I've come to the realization that I will never have another player who is as good as Max has been, or will be as fun. I think that's why I'm not having a lot of fun with Domi as well - I had a great run with Mølholt and now I'm less driven with my other player. Max has done what I've wanted, but also been a lot more successful than I ever thought, despite not pulling in any awards during his career. 

The reason Max has been so successful is that he hit Toronto at the perfect time, he was able to come in as a rookie and have an explosive start (101 Points, 52 Goals) due to being on a lowly team, but being built to score. He lost the rookie of the year to Clegane, which was probably bullshit but the voters love goalies (as we'll see more of). He had another great year when Parechkin and Free joined the team, picking up 120 Points and 63 Goals and helping Toronto to the playoffs in a season that I didn't expect them to compete at all in, so that was a fun change of pace from the losing of the last year. He also got the Brooks Trophy for most goals in just his second season. The next season sputtered and Toronto was out of the playoff picture again, with Max's play not being much help (89 Points, 46 Goals). Finally we hit the contending window, which is when a lot of my career came to the forefront. Max put up 108 Points and 44 Goals in the first Continental Cup season. I also won my first GMotY Knight Trophy that season, which is attributed to Max on his player page. Then Max blew up in Season 49, going for 120 Points and 56 Goals and surprisingly, 89 Assists - despite being built as a goal scorer. He brought home the Beketov and the Szatkowski Trophy that year, because the voters don't pick those. He lost the MVP and Campbell to Clegane again, another bullshit call (which was actually bullshit on the Campbell front, as pointed out by Higgins in the voting thread). I also got my second Knight Trophy for Top GM that season as we won back to back Cups for just the 6th time in league history. Season 50 was historic for the team and Max, but his play during the regular season wasn't spectacular. He had 83 Points and 40 Goals, as the offense struggled, but none of it mattered because we won our third straight Continental Cup in the league's historic 50th season. No one has ever done that before and maybe no one ever will again. I lost out on the Knight Trophy by two votes to a Davos GM, despite pulling off a huge deal for Edwin Reencarnacion that propelled us over the edge and helped us do something that no team or GM has ever done before, but oh well. Max came back to form a bit in Season 51, picking up 59 Goals and 123 Points. Right now, we are tied up 2-2 with Riga in the Continental Cup Finals, that's right - our 4th straight and with a chance to actually win it - to not only set history by winning three straight, but we could feasibly win four straight (although I'm less confident this season than ever before). I'm sure Calgary will win the Knight Trophy this year, but damn do I think I deserve at least some credit for getting this team to four straight finals and frankly, for creating the best dynasty the league has ever seen. 

As for Max, this is where he sits right now, with one season left in his career: 360 Goals, 409 Assists, 769 Points and 60 Game Winning Goals. 3 Continental Cups. 2 Knight Trophys. 1 Brooks Trophy. 1 Beketov Trophy. 1 Szatkowski Trophy. 1 Silver Medal. 1 Gold Medal. He's had a good run. 

His 360 Goals are good for 18th all-time right now, and it isn't insane to think that he could get 40 goals this season (something he has never failed to do), which would put him at 400 goals. Only 4 players have ever reached that mark (Campbell, Stolzschweiger, Szatkowski and Rafter) and Max could be only the 5th ever to reach that mark. His assist totals put him at 65th, and if he had 41 next season (would be his career low), he would have 460 - which would put him 29th all-time. His point total is at 769, so 81 (a career low) would put him at 850, which would be good enough for 12th all-time. He has potential to get into the Top 10 in Points if he has another great season instead of a mediocre one. His 60 game winning goals is good for 25th all-time right now, 10 more would put him at 70 which would shoot him to 7th all-time. In short, he could be pretty high up on some all-time lists, particularly goal scoring, and that would be pretty cool for me. I never really expected to come that close to the top of anything in my career. He's helped Toronto set a record that may never be touched again and he could become a Top 5 goal scorer, which is more than I could ask for. He never won an individual award that wasn't given automatically for leading in a category, but I think he still had a good career. He will finish out his career next season with the Toronto Legion, the only team he's ever played for and the only team he ever will play for. I think he might be the best player in Legion history, given his longevity and potential to be so high in the all-time list. If he is, he's followed closely by Parechkin, who has been nothing short of dominant in his time in the blue and white and has been a lifer as well. I'm going to miss Max when he's retired, and I don't know that I'll be able to recreate this experience. With such limiting positions in the VHL, I may have set my own bar too high to pass in terms of team and personal success. I think that's why my drive has been fading, because I know the day is coming where he's gone. A few more games in this Finals series. One more year. Trying to go out in style. 

----- 

Was a VHL.com piece, but ended up being way longer so, here it is as a media spot.

It is a little surreal. I know your feelings.

Many of Parechkin's successes could be thanks to Max though, but who really knows. They definitely have fed off of each other throughout their whole careers. It will be a sad day when Max retires, and my player as well.

Easily a HoF player, probably the best in Legion history. Maybe Zach too.

I have no idea what I want to do next. Just like yourself, being teammates, I have 3 cups as well, but alongside that I have other trophies, and maybe a 2nd two-way player award this season also. I feel like it's all downhill from here when I create my next players. Parechkin/Molholt has been a dream.