Are Goalies Irrelevant This Season?

Devise

It's a serious question. I was reading through the mag here this morning and noticed that one of the older articles was promoting some of the play of rookie goalie Astrid Moon. Of course that was written and time stamped when we only had 4 or 6 games played versus 10 now, and it's amazing to see across the board after 10 games played, how god awful all goalies are right now. 

3 goalies have a .920 save percentage or above, and they are on three of the weaker teams in the league. Apollo Skye currently leads the league in save percentage by a giant margin, with a whopping .938, which is to be expected given he'll face plenty of more shots than the goalies on more competitive teams. Otherwise it's Ilya and Dadanov who both have .920. From there it's a pretty almost hilarious mish mash of just terrible performances. As a rookie Mist4ke aint doing so bad with his .913, and Zhumbayev on a empty Calgary squad sitting at .910 aint bad. Yet then you look at the teams who many picked to win, your Seattles, Stockholms and New York and then of course the upstart Helsinki Titans, and you see some bad goalie performances. 

Granted, most of these goalies face lower shots, but that doesn't change the fact that goals are being given up by netminders at a relatively high pace this season. One of the reason I decided to trade Ilya and run with Power (other than the cap) was because I felt that the depth and balance gap between D and goalies versus forwards was about to enter a huge spike. We lost several big name goalies last season, and several big name defenders. Holik is currently the only goalie in the league above 700 TPE. Black Velvet and Jeff Hamilton are the only defenders in the league above that number, although Bobby Digital is getting close as well. Meanwhile the amount of forwards who are above 700 or closing in is much higher. 

It's why I pose this question. Will goalies and defense make the difference this season, or are games going to continue to be decided by fire wagon type hockey? I have to think the latter is more likely, especially in the playoffs. Even last season, a season in which we had more prominent netminders and defenders the playoffs had a couple of low scoring games, but the majority was high scoring. Goalies like Weinstein, Holik, and Sandro Clegane despite having those TPE numbers struggled to be the "series winners" that netminders have been in the past, especially coming off the Hans Wingate era. We could very well see a season in which goalie stats hit near all time lows, and as a result offense from everyone, on every team, rises.

14 minutes ago, BMax said:

You are the only irrelevant goalie here

Stats say otherwise this season. :P By no means does that mean I'll ever be relevant, but I think it's safe to say the forwards are going to have at it this year. We'll see if I'm wrong, but the turmoil at the other two positions and just the youth of so many players at D/G it's easy to see a season in which goalies across the board struggle. It's going to be a very interesting season to watch on a couple of fronts honestly, although I think most of us thought that going in. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Stats say otherwise this season. :P By no means does that mean I'll ever be relevant, but I think it's safe to say the forwards are going to have at it this year. We'll see if I'm wrong, but the turmoil at the other two positions and just the youth of so many players at D/G it's easy to see a season in which goalies across the board struggle. It's going to be a very interesting season to watch on a couple of fronts honestly, although I think most of us thought that going in. 

yea it always happens, goalies and forwards always switch from whos going to dominate. forwards will dominate now cause the goalies are so 'young' then when the dominate forwards retire the new wave of forwards wont be as good against the 'older' goalies.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:58 PM, HFD said:

Is it hard to create a good goalie, or is it the vast numbers of forwards being built that skew the results?

goalies tend to be a little more luck reliant. If you have a garbage team in front of you no Carey Price manner of wizardry can save you here.