Claimed: Make the player store great again [1/2]

Quik

Take 2: Another way to encourage player movement

money3.jpg

So, last week I made my MS about a way to add meaning to finances, in order to encourage player movement through FA. That spot focused mainly on creating an Exceptional Player Status (EPS), which would allow teams to offer contracts greater than the max player contract restrictions, while still needing to be confined within the team Salary Cap. Feedback was mixed, as there was concern about overloading a single player's bank account. Obviously, there could be loopholes that are abused, like a team with just a single active giving that player a $25M contract. And that is a legitimate concern, which could be mitigated by adding restrictions, such as a secondary cap at, let's say, $15M per EPS contract. You could also place a rule that another team needs to offer the player's TPE bracket max before any team can offer an EPS contract, meaning only players who legitimately deserve max money can get it - obviously, if Team A offers Player X $7M, and then Team B offers EPS @ $12M, then Team A would then be allowed to up their offer into EPS status, as long as their cap space allows.

Personally, loading a player's bank account is kind of the point though, as it encourages a player to test the market and push for greater earnings. As I stated in the previous thread, improving the player store would be key in starting the market. With no other need for salary, players can take discounts and hoard for their depreciation seasons, which in turn leads to contending teams hoarding the top players with no real need for movement. There was talk about including better options in the store, that would entice players to spend in their early seasons, which would in turn lead to them seeking out higher dollars in contract negotiations. I would also propose that, along with better personal options, you include team based options as well. In real life, teammates in many sports do things that boost team morale, such as buying gadgets for all teammates, to organizing team trips, etc. It might be a good addition to the player store to add options that allow a player to buy a team upgrade package, which teammates would then link to for their "rewards".

If I had my say, these would be some of the additions to the player store:

Steroids: Player can max one attribute for one week in the sim ($3M/$6M - Regular Season/Playoffs)**

Team Bonding: Free Week for all members of player's team ($5M)

Team Workout: Three (3) TPE Uncapped for all members of player's team ($5M)

Hockey Camp 1: Player adds Two (2) TPE ($1.5M)

Hockey Camp 2: Player adds Five (5) TPE ($3M)

Hockey Camp 3: Player adds Twelve (12) TPE ($5M)

**Would require the sim to be updated weekly

I would also add something like:

Forever Remembered: Player can re-name a trophy after winning it more than once in their career ($10M)

That last one is not something that would be bought often, considering how much it would cost and how often players do win trophies multiple times, but could be a cool way to let people add their names into the history books even after they retire their players. Just an idea. Anyway, that's pretty much my whole plan on making money matter in the league. Give people something to actually spend it on, and they might actually seek it out.

Edited by Quik

I'm relatively new to the league and understand there is an year restriction on players but if there was an option to buy additional years for your player for an absorbent amount of money, I would go Free Agent all the time and max out as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

I'm relatively new to the league and understand there is an year restriction on players but if there was an option to buy additional years for your player for an absorbent amount of money, I would go Free Agent all the time and max out as much as possible.

That could work. Thought it would have to be so expensive that a ninth season is a tough decision and a tenth season is only someone crazy hardcore people who max out their bank on tanking teams for a good 5+ years can afford.

@Quik I like the award reaming too. Maybe that is why @BobertZ is hoarding so much cash. Many people live for glory and having a trophy named after them is like a living legacy.

Kudos for the well thought out ideas and for the willingness to put this in motion.

Edited by punkhippie

5 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Some of these are a little OP and that last one will never fly.

I do think the idea of a team-focused purchase is interesting, but it'd have to be balanced around what you can currently buy for an individual.

$10M to rename an award will never fly, especially when the prerequisite is that you have already won it? I'll bet my house on that

4 hours ago, punkhippie said:

Price for steroids is way too cheap, and to MAX an attribute for a week? How about try +30 TPE to that attribute still going by update scale?

Meh, when you consider that the people buying it are going to be the ones with the bankroll to afford that kind of upgrade for ~10-15 games, the stats they'd be maxing would likely already be close to maxed out anyways, or they would be inconsequential things that wouldn't be core attributes. The point is to give incentive to spend, leading to players trying to make the most dollars. 

1 hour ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Some of these are a little OP and that last one will never fly.

I do think the idea of a team-focused purchase is interesting, but it'd have to be balanced around what you can currently buy for an individual.

I mean, how often do players win an award multiple times? And of those people, how many would want to spend $10M on naming an award? It's a sim league, yeah it's cool to have historic names, but 10 years in, it wouldn't hurt for them to change anyways. It's just another thing to incentivize money in the league, and very few players would have the success and money hoarding combination to actually use it.

2 minutes ago, Quik said:

Meh, when you consider that the people buying it are going to be the ones with the bankroll to afford that kind of upgrade for ~10-15 games, the stats they'd be maxing would likely already be close to maxed out anyways, or they would be inconsequential things that wouldn't be core attributes. The point is to give incentive to spend, leading to players trying to make the most dollars. 

I mean, how often do players win an award multiple times? And of those people, how many would want to spend $10M on naming an award? It's a sim league, yeah it's cool to have historic names, but 10 years in, it wouldn't hurt for them to change anyways. It's just another thing to incentivize money in the league, and very few players would have the success and money hoarding combination to actually use it.

Prices and benefits would need fine tuning but I'm down for the implementation of it eventually

2 hours ago, Quik said:

The BoG has kicked around adjusting some of the VHL award names to recognize the actions/works for non-original members/players, so they may be changing anyway. I don't think it's a great idea to have them change often though.

The VHLM awards were updated not that long ago to basically all "modern" members.

• TheLastOlympian07 changed the title to Make the player store great again [1/2]

Review

I like the idea of changing the store up as it is pretty bland and really all i do is save up for depreciation. Also the renaming player trophies should be a thing that happens ever like 'decade' aka 10 seasons because I am sure no new member will know or really care who Scotty Campbell is or why he has the trophy named after him. but it is time to change them up to reflect who was the best at that time over the 10 season mark should be fun it gives the players a little something to work for

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: Make the player store great again [1/2]