Play-maker [2/2]

Dangles13

Play-maker. The phrase of play maker is a weird one, it means different things to different people. To some a play-maker is a passer, he has the uncanny vision needed to set his line mates up for a nice goal. Some view a play-maker as a player who holds on to the  puck and makes his own space so he can score. In football a play-maker is simply a player who makes plays. A quarterback who scrambles out of a collapsing pocket to deliver a dime 25 yards down field, a wide out who breaks the ankles of his defender to turn a 5 yard catch into a 60 yard touchdown or even a defensive back who has a nose for big interceptions and can change the tide of the game. 

MacArthurPassBetweenOwnLegsTurrisWild.gi luke-keuchly-pick-six-against-seattle.gi

For me I dislike the term for that reason, making a play is about so much more than a nice pass. A breakout pass from a rearguard to get the offence going is beautiful and so important to making plays. A big power-forward crashing the paint and creating havoc that allows for a sniper to wire his wrister bar down is making a play. Even a bottom line grinder who chips the puck and hammers the defender to force a turnover is making plays. We need to get back to the basic meaning of the term and start calling players appropriately.

Snipers don't just shoot, I mean Dany Heatly did but... I digress. Most goal scorers are competent puck handlers and can pass fairly well. Two way forwards are not just defensive stalwarts and are usually quite proficient offensively. It is two way and not defensive player but we forget that. Ask yourself this; Why are all the best players in the NHL usually called play-makers? The Crosby's and McDavid's are not one dimensional by any means and Crosby has even led the league in goal scoring but is still a play-maker. People need to wake up and start using their brains. In a world where we are so conscientious of labeling people I find it odd that we are so narrow minded in the hockey community. 

McDavid-Breaks-Defense.gifcrosbymayogoal.gif

Otto Axelsson is indeed a play-maker but he isn't a simpleton who can only pass the puck to his team mates. Otto can check and defend and make opponents afraid to be on the ice with him. He has a fast and accurate shot that will help fill the net, it's not a heavy shot mind you but it will lead to goals. Axelsson can stick handle with the best of them and will rag the puck as long as needed until his linemates get open. Otto Axelsson is the real deal, the total package, he is a play maker!

Edited by Dangles13

• Commissioner

Beketov's proven strategy for making a playmaker: Aim to make a Sniper.

Has worked for me on at least 3 different occasions haha

• 1 month later...

REVIEEEEEEEW:

So far Axelsson is indeed a playmaker. His shot % is nice, but he is hesitating on shooting so he has only 8 goals. Also, only 20 something minutes per game in Sasky, this is not fun lol. Anyway, good luck on creating a better player than Donovan was (who was actually meant to be a scoring first player, but collected more assists than goals. Maybe @Beketov was right here.)

@Dangles13