Big Changes in Calgary [1/2]

Quik

1835.gif

Calgary, AB- Contraction in the VHL has brought about large change in the historic Victory Hockey League market of Calgary, Alberta! The team that ran roughshod over the competition in the league's inaugural season, winning 69 games that season en-route to a defeat by VHL legend Scotty Campbell's Vasteras IK Black Eagles has come full circle in its engagement with the Swedish franchise, 56 seasons later. After searching desperately for new ownership, the once-mighty Wranglers became a laughing stock in the league, and were close to extinction, saved only by its illustrious history that led to these current, strange circumstances. With the announcement of VHL contraction, the franchise was saved in a sense, by having all assets and management swapped with the Stockholm Vikings, leading to the departure of the VHL from the Swedish Capitol! With that, fans of Calgary seem to have the last laugh, as they inherit an upstart roster full of young talent, and get the revenge of dealing the final blow to the one-time Vasteras franchise!

Coming to Calgary, by way of Sweden, are a group of elite youth, headlined by goaltender Norris Stopko. Along with Stopko comes center prospect Jasper Canmore, the hulking playmaker who looks primed to become an elite distributor in the VHL. There are also defenders Boner and Mats Johnsson, who have the potential to become the top pairing in the league in the not too-distant future! Johnsson, who looked primed to become a Restricted Free Agent after initially declining the Wrangler's Qualifying Offer, surprisingly had a change of heart and accepted the contract in order to don the red and black for at least the upcoming season.

When asked about his change of heart, Johnsson was very enthusiastic with praise for his GM: "Obviously, things were very tough last year. We had 2 skaters who would show up to practice at all, and there were a lot of nights that were tough to come up with a reason to come to the rink. But Bash was strong with his plan, and he was clear with what we were getting into from the beginning. Now, partly thanks to the way the league is heading, but mostly because of his vision, there is going to be a lot more talent on our roster come training camp. With (Motherfucker) Sharpe joining the fold, we're adding a solid veteran presence, and the youth coming in this year looks to be fantastic! I'm excited to get these guys the puck and see what they can do with it!"

Indeed, with the league's contraction, it left many players without homes. The solution? The first (and hopefully only) ever VHL Contraction Dispersal Draft. The Wranglers were randomly assigned the 6th spot in the draft, and used it to select Motherfucker Sharpe. With the 11th pick, they selected inactive depth forward Jake Scheel, who will provide a decent option on the second line. With Sharpe, the Wranglers are gaining a physical presence who finished 2nd in the league in hits this past season, with 421, as well as penalty minutes with 233. In fact, Calgary's penalty killers may want to ready themselves this season, as Sharpe's 233 was second only to new teammate Boner, who finished with 242.

With all the changes that are happening in the league, fans of the Calgary Wranglers can be thankful that they have such a rich history, as that history is what saved them from becoming a footnote in the history books, doomed to be forgotten. Instead, fans in Stockholm and Cologne, Germany will be suffering that fate, while the Wranglers and their fans are treated to a franchise that looks well on its way to becoming a powerhouse that Wranglers fans have come to expect in the past 10 years.

Edited by Quik

5 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I got contracted from Calgary and drafted to Calgary! Probably too high! It was meant to be.

Not too high, I was happy to get you there. Although the team has a ways to go I am hoping we can keep players like Sharpe and Johnsson here while we progress towards the playoffs which should happen next season at the latest.

Just now, Bushito said:

Not too high, I was happy to get you there. Although the team has a ways to go I am hoping we can keep players like Sharpe and Johnsson here while we progress towards the playoffs which should happen next season at the latest.

I love Calgary, I'm just saying, Sharpe is literally the worst player in the league. By design. Just no redeeming qualities at all!

Just now, JardyB10 said:

I love Calgary, I'm just saying, Sharpe is literally the worst player in the league. By design. Just no redeeming qualities at all!

It's a weird build maybe, not so conventional but I still think players like him are necessary to win cups. I also have an affinity towards smashmouth players and plan to give Canmore a few of those attributes a little later in his career.

Review

The Wranglers are a team that must never die. It was a fairly obvious choice to not contract them. Too much history. However, with the way things are going it appears we might just might be able to add more teams in the future if we get enough players from this new partnership we have from SBA and EFL. It remains to be seen how it will play out. This was well written like everything you write. Keep it up man