Speculatoria (#1)

Banackock

1 minute ago, pennypenny said:

who's ass am I kicking. Am I kicking my own ass. My future wife's ass. Who's ass man? What kinda ass do you think I am, ha-ha ass? 

Well, for starters - you're kicking ass in general. Then, I'd assume you're kicking a majority of the leagues ass - especially those behind you. 

I give you 8/10 so far. 

5ac5cb5a43f802c3780e6679d1434738.gif

Just now, Banackock said:

Well, for starters - you're kicking ass in general. Then, I'd assume you're kicking a majority of the leagues ass - especially those behind you. 

I give you 8/10 so far. 

5ac5cb5a43f802c3780e6679d1434738.gif

That's mighty provocative. Gets the people GOING.

And wOoOOo, glad to be kickin some ass!

11 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

Well you are odd. Coming from a person who works in the industry I'm telling you what the 1st episode is for. I've worked on many pilots that never made it out of editing because the my weren't gripping enough. One was a pilot they spent 22mill on.

The 1st episode is definitely for trying to grab the viewers, but I'm siding with @Banackock that a lot of shows get better after Ep 1. There's been plenty where I didn't care for the 1st episode but kept going and ended up loving it. That happens with a lot of shows for a lot of people.

Also, LoTR I'm hype to check it out. I'm not going into it expecting it to be amazing, but I'll check it out. :P

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

The 1st episode is definitely for trying to grab the viewers, but I'm siding with @Banackock that a lot of shows get better after Ep 1. There's been plenty where I didn't care for the 1st episode but kept going and ended up loving it. That happens with a lot of shows for a lot of people.

Also, LoTR I'm hype to check it out. I'm not going into it expecting it to be amazing, but I'll check it out. :P

Some shows also don’t have a pilot episode. Generally I find pilots to actually be worse first episodes because they try to cram too much in so that the studio heads kinda know a bit of everything. Some shows just get approved immediately or don’t actually use their pilot as episode 1.

Season 1 of GoT was definitely not it’s best work but it wasn’t a dumpster fire by any means either. I’m not gonna lie @BluObieZ, it kinda sounds like you’re just being an industry pride that thinks everything needs to be Kubrick. To each their own if you didn’t like it but it’s hard to say something is awful if you wanted 1 season and everyone agrees it gets better as it goes.

Ik also still curious what stuff you’ve worked on. You’ve been saying for 10 years you’re an industry guy but you’ve never once offered up a credit to check out. Not that I want proof, just that I’m curious what you’ve done.

9 hours ago, Beketov said:

Some shows also don’t have a pilot episode. Generally I find pilots to actually be worse first episodes because they try to cram too much in so that the studio heads kinda know a bit of everything. Some shows just get approved immediately or don’t actually use their pilot as episode 1.

Season 1 of GoT was definitely not it’s best work but it wasn’t a dumpster fire by any means either. I’m not gonna lie @BluObieZ, it kinda sounds like you’re just being an industry pride that thinks everything needs to be Kubrick. To each their own if you didn’t like it but it’s hard to say something is awful if you wanted 1 season and everyone agrees it gets better as it goes.

Ik also still curious what stuff you’ve worked on. You’ve been saying for 10 years you’re an industry guy but you’ve never once offered up a credit to check out. Not that I want proof, just that I’m curious what you’ve done.

All shows have "pilots" its because most first episodes are called pilot. Big shows barely use them, but what they do now is shoot the 1st episode and show it to producers and a focus group of like 200 people. If they like the number of people that like it they go to series. Not like how it used to be. Pilot airs, and if numbers are good they keep going. It's a thing of the past. They don't want to wait about a month from shooting the first episode till it airs. They have studio and equipment rentals.  Most shows are straight to series. In my years in the industry I have seen shows get 5 seasons (Star Trek Discovery) and I have seen shows not make it out of editing and I have seen shows canceled after the 2nd episode.

Not at all.  I enjoy shows like Curb, Last Ship, Designated Survivor (worked on it and may get 3rd season with Netflix), Suits (Work on it when I want to. Shooting season 8 now) I also enjoy and still watch old shows like Entourage (ages well but don't watch the movie) Mash, Psych, Lost. These are just some of the shows. None are "Kubrik" like shows. Now movies are different stories. If movies don't like up to my standards (favorite Director other then myself is Speilberg) then i hate it. Comedies and Superhero movies and Star Wars I lower my expectations. Oh and I hate the middle trilogy and i fucking hate this Rey character. I'm not a star wars nerd by any means of the word but after the original trilogy it took a dive. This new one is better then the late 90's early 2000's one but eh... Comedies wise Hangover (1st one) Old School, American Pie (first 2) Anchorman (1st one) are all great movies.

Ive worked on tons of things. I don't use my real name because of a host of reasons that range from nosey neighbors to family I don't talk to anymore. So I use a "film name" in the industry. Everyone knows me as Robbie and I get paid as Robbie. But I get credited as a different name. For me to give it out would be stupid. So i will not give that out. But I have worked on Suits, Designated Survivor, 12 Monkeys (series not movie)(not that old), Pacific Rim (first one), Suicide Squad, XXX return of Xander Cage, Robocop (latest one)(once again not that old to work on older ones),  The new and first Shazam movie... that list goes on. I will not keep going I think I gave enough examples.  

Edited by BluObieZ

12 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

All shows have "pilots" its because most first episodes are called pilot. Big shows barely use them, but what they do now is shoot the 1st episode and show it to producers and a focus group of like 200 people. If they like the number of people that like it they go to series. Not like how it used to be. Pilot airs, and if numbers are good they keep going. It's a thing of the past. They don't want to wait about a month from shooting the first episode till it airs. They have studio and equipment rentals.  Most shows are straight to series. In my years in the industry I have seen shows get 5 seasons (Star Trek Discovery) and I have seen shows not make it out of editing and I have seen shows canceled after the 2nd episode.

Not at all.  I enjoy shows like Curb, Last Ship, Designated Survivor (worked on it and may get 3rd season with Netflix), Suits (Work on it when I want to. Shooting season 8 now) I also enjoy and still watch old shows like Entourage (ages well but don't watch the movie) Mash, Psych, Lost. These are just some of the shows. None are "Kubrik" like shows. Now movies are different stories. If movies don't like up to my standards (favorite Director other then myself is Speilberg) then i hate it. Comedies and Superhero movies and Star Wars I lower my expectations. Oh and I hate the middle trilogy and i fucking hate this Rey character. I'm not a star wars nerd by any means of the word but after the original trilogy it took a dive. This new one is better then the late 90's early 2000's one but eh... Comedies wise Hangover (1st one) Old School, American Pie (first 2) Anchorman (1st one) are all great movies 

Lost was great - but it got stupid towards the end IMO. GoT >> Lost

Edited by Banackock

15 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Everyone says that it gets better. Well as I said the first episode is meant to grip you. It did not so I gave up on it. So no, I am right. If the whole season is meant to grab audiences it would be pointless. Everyone tunes into first episodes to meet characters, see the world and get to know the story. It's off the initial base you build. You don't "hope for the best" and "see if we can get a base by the end of the season" You build off the millions you gain on the first episode. It's why shows spend the most money on the first episode. Not just of the series but of each season. They want to grab you for the season. It's another reason why shows leave the season finale on cliffhangers. Making audiences want more. God I can talk about this all day. Give you all an education in film... but i rather not

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Lost was great - but it got stupid towards the end IMO. GoT >> Lost

Lost last season was bland as fuck. I'll give you that. But overall LOST>>>>>>> then GoT that first episode. Hell that opening scene gripped the audience. Something GoT failed to do all episode.

Edited by BluObieZ

3 hours ago, BluObieZ said:

Everyone says that it gets better. Well as I said the first episode is meant to grip you. It did not so I gave up on it. So no, I am right. If the whole season is meant to grab audiences it would be pointless. Everyone tunes into first episodes to meet characters, see the world and get to know the story. It's off the initial base you build. You don't "hope for the best" and "see if we can get a base by the end of the season" You build off the millions you gain on the first episode. It's why shows spend the most money on the first episode. Not just of the series but of each season. They want to grab you for the season. It's another reason why shows leave the season finale on cliffhangers. Making audiences want more. God I can talk about this all day. Give you all an education in film... but i rather not

I thought the argument was you writing off the whole Game of Thrones show because EP1 wasn't good.

I agree about pilots and that they are meant to grab you. I don't know why you wrote all that, because I've been agreeing with you on that. I was just saying in a lot of show's cases, it doesn't work and they get better. Me saying that doesn't go against what pilots are meant to be.

3 hours ago, BluObieZ said:

Lost last season was bland as fuck. I'll give you that. But overall LOST>>>>>>> then GoT that first episode. Hell that opening scene gripped the audience. Something GoT failed to do all episode.

Yeah, LOST pilot was amazing.