Just 8th in points, is McAllister MVP?

scoop

Gabriel McAllister of the HC Davos Dynamo is currently at 95 points, putting him 8th in the league. This is lower than you might expect, after seeing him finish first in the league with 120 points last season. Despite this decrease in output, he still has to be considered one of the top candidates for the Scotty Campbell Trophy.

McAllister is hands down the best player on the third place Dynamo. After McAllister, the next highest in points is The Charm with 75, and their goaltender Shawn Brodeur is the worst among the top four teams. McAllister definitely has less help than any other MVP candidate, yet Davos still sits at 101 points, just two points behind the league-leading Wranglers. McAllister brings more to the table than just his offense. He has the most hits in the league by far, setting a new single-season record (he currently has 443 with three games left to play).

In looking at who might be his biggest competition, I want to look at each of the other top four teams and determine who I think was their most valuable player. New York is probably the easiest to judge, with the honor going to Chase Keller. Helsinki has the top three goal scorers, so how do you pick? I'll just go with defenseman Ay Ay Ron, who leads the league in assists while also being a great defensive player. For the Wranglers, how about we say the league's best goalie, Brady Stopko.

I would likely say no. Standings doesn’t have a whole lot to do with MVP in my eyes. Davos was way better and were actually in 1st and dropped off.

Last i looked, Sherphard, CanMORE, Federov, AAR and Forsberg are the 5 and I’d also toss Stropko in there. Easily the best goalie. 

Federov of has a close amount of hits but more goals, points, assists, one of the highest shooting % in the league, PT’s per 20 min, higher +\-,  5 more PPG, leads the league in GWG etc.

If it’s not Federov or Stropko, my mind will explode. All mcAllister beats Federov in is hits and while it is a huge margin, I don’t think lots of hits strictly makes a MVP. 

3 hours ago, street said:

He has the most hits in the league by far, setting a new single-season record (he currently has 443 with three games left to play).

Huh. Well that's certainly not something I expected.

5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

If it’s not Federov or Stropko, my mind will explode. All mcAllister beats Federov in is hits and while it is a huge margin, I don’t think lots of hits strictly makes a MVP. 

That's supposed to be the difference between MVP and Most Outstanding Player though - the former takes into account how important they were to their team, while the latter is just stats.

3 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Huh. Well that's certainly not something I expected.

That's supposed to be the difference between MVP and Most Outstanding Player though - the former takes into account how important they were to their team, while the latter is just stats.

Without McAllister, Davos would be shit, yes. Easily the player who helps out a team most. 

Best player though is Federov. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

If Mccalister isnt MVP the league loses credibility

I’d love to hear your thoughts on how McAllister had a better season than any player in the league; Stropko or Federov. 

FWIW, I'll be recusing myself from the discussions on this one same way I did last year, but would like to point out Keaton Louth's also probably worth a look for a lot of the same reasons - leading Calgary in goals by a good amount, tops in the league in plus/minus, second in points per 20.

5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on how McAllister had a better season than any player in the league; Stropko or Federov. 

Calgary and Seattle are better teams. It's not most outstanding it's most valuable. Just giving my opinion. I'd probably rank it as

1. McCalister

2. Stropko

3. Ay Ay Ron/Federov and as @CowboyinAmerica said Louth deserves a shout.

Edited by Tyler

10 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Calgary and Seattle are better teams. It's not most outstanding it's most valuable. Just giving my opinion. I'd probably rank it as

1. McCalister

2. Stropko

3. Ay Ay Ron/Federov and as @CowboyinAmerica said Louth deserves a shout.

CanMORE and Stropko >> Louth though