Filipino Hockey [1/2]

Rural Baguio-At the request of his new pupil, Ethan Kapuan, and due to his heritage, Ryuu Crimson has flown in from Saskatoon to show some kids the beautiful sport of hockey. He even brought Ethan Kapuan. "Many people know I am Japanese, but my mom is Filipino. Yes I am half Filipino. Japan is already somewhat aware and good at hockey. But the Philippines, of course because it's a tropical country with no snow and winter, they are barely aware of hockey and there are not much fans. If we managed to pull this off, a new market could open, plus, many opportunities would be opened."

Ryuu Crimson brought equipment for kids and bought them autographed sticks with pucks for everyone. He brought synthetic ice and set up a rink. He, Ethan and a few other kids from Canada played some exhibition games so kids could see what it was like. Slowly, one by one, kids joined and they had 25 kids, not a bad start. Ryuu Crimson gave them gear and he teached them how to skate. After they had mastered skating, which took about 45 minutes, he gave them sticks and pucks and showed them how to stickhandle. He gave them jerseys.

"I think they can do it. Besides, in the 2017 Southeast Asia Games, the Philippines won Gold. This shows that despite hardships, Filipinos can do it."

Crimson coached them and taught them shooting, aiming, checking, and how to exit and enter the bench. He was really impressed at how fast they learned. "They learned everything faster than I expected. Language wasn't much of a barrier, I know a bit of Filipino. Even if they didn't understand me, they did everything correctly. I am so excited to hopefully see some of these kids become Hockey Players and maybe even join the VHL."

For the Goalies, he taught them the same things as everyone else, but Kevin Weekes video chatted Ryuu Crimson which turned into a video coaching session. "They are really lucky, Weekes, he used to be in the NHL and he is really good. He taught them so well. There was this kid who was really small, not the size you would expect a goalie to be. But he played like he was a giant. I tried shooting on him, I tried my best, and either this kid is amazing or I suck but he saved every shot."

After learning they had a little scrimmage, separating the kids into two teams. They had a proper 60 minutes game with all the rules. One team ended up winning 3-2 in overtime. Throughout the community all you could hear was cheering. "These aren't city kids. But with hockey they were still able to do a lot."

"Experiences like this is why I want to be a coach when I retire. Coaching younger generations feels amazing."

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:57 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

My wife is half Filipino actually. Now its time for you to introduce to your team mates and the rest of the VHL the fine delicacy of Balut!!

How about no. Most other food, fine. Balut, not so much