GO DAVOS

scoop

When Davos last won the Continental Cup, the franchise had the most championships in league history with nine. That was back in Season 38. At that time, the Helsinki Titans had five Cups in franchise history. With their Cup last season, Helsinki became the first team to reach ten championships. Davos does remain alone in second, but if the Wranglers win Game 7, Calgary would even that number.

It's actually quite remarkable that Calgary and Davos are still two of the most winningest teams. While Davos' drought is the longest among active franchises, Calgary is not actually too far behind. Their last championship was in S44. Since then, New York, Toronto, and Riga have all won three Continental Cups. Those three teams all sit at seven championships, so the futility of Davos and Calgary as merely allowed them to nearly catch up. Seattle is another team who was once the light of the league but have not been great in recent years, though they did win just two seasons ago. Still, the Bears had four championship victories in their first 17 seasons and have won just three in the 44 seasons since. That brings their total to seven as well.

Personally, I'm rooting for Davos in Game 7. I have an extensive history with the franchise, so they are a team that I will typically root for over most others.

GO DAVOS

Interesting read. Crazy that for CGY/Davos it's both been so long, and that both of them are now in the finals a bit unexpectedly. I didn't realize that so many teams were sitting at 7+ franchise Continental Cups. If anything a lot of these stats may speak to the diversity of quality GMing and how that has pushed around the league. In the early years as you mention, Seattle, Davos and Calgary were getting the most love and then we saw a spike to see New York, Helsinki and Riga, Toronto even catch up. 

Helsinki being the first team to reach 10 though is probably fitting. Each franchise seems to have something as the ace in their sleeve if you will these days.