(S56 HOF Class) Frank Chadwick - Builder

Jubo

Frank Chadwick

User: @Frank

Frank.jpg

Hall of fame inductee: Season 56

Frank Chadwick has been a member of the VHL for over 40 seasons, holding a number of respected positions and built two hall of fame skaters in Adam Schultz and Aksel Thomassen.

Chadwick was a GM for over 1000 games for the Davos and Quebec City franchises and achieved three continental cups including back to back championships in his first two seasons at the helm. Through his 15 seasons as a GM, his clubs appeared in the playoffs a total of 10 times winning a combined 51 games. Following his most recent championship (S56), Frank was inducted into the hall of fame and will forever be remembered as one of the leagues most formidable builders. On top of being a general manager, Frank held other prestigious positions including VHLM GM, VHLM Commissioner, and a seat on the board of governors.

As new members of the VHL begin their journeys into the vastness of all it has to offer, Chadwick provides an excellent example of dedication meets success.

His track record of successful skaters and management tactics provides inspiration and adoration to those surrounding him.

Career Overview

Created Players:

(S20) D/RW - Adam Schultz, TPE: 677 *(Hall of Fame)*

(S27) G - Marius Henchoz, TPE: 765

(S34) RW/D - Doug Clifford, TPE: 551

(S39) C - Aksel Thomassen, TPE: 1,078 *(Hall of Fame)*

(S47) RW - John Sleeman, TPE: 647

(S53) C/LW/RW - Pierre Gaudette, TPE: 758

(S55) D - Felix Savard TPE: 765

(S59) G - Marcel St-Laurent (Active)

Positions held:

VHLM GM

VHLM Commissioner

Board of Governors

VHL GM for 15 seasons

Awards:

Victory Cup: S25

Continental Cup (3 time champion as GM): S24, 25 and 56

Line_Break.jpg

VHL GM Career

urbEXsu.jpg

GM for 3 seasons S24-S26

Playoff appearances: 3

GM Career record:

Davos_record.jpg

Continental Cup Champions: Seasons 24 and 25

CVRW3sR.jpg

GM for 12 seasons S37-S40 & S51-S58

Playoff appearances: 7

GM Career record

Meute_record.jpg

Continental Cup Champions: Season 56

Line_Break.jpg

Overall VHL GM Record

Regular Season Record: 1080 GP / 468 W / 459 L

Playoff Record: 90 GP / 51 W / 39 L

Line_Break.jpg

Hall of Fame Inducted Players

1) Adam Schultz - D - Canada

Full Biography

Career statistics:

Regular Season: 432 GP / 192 G / 336 A / 528 P / +241

Playoffs: 52 GP / 12 G / 23 A / 35 P / +15

Career Awards

Season 22 - Continental Cup

Season 22 - Vladimir Kostka Trophy

Season 23 - Sterling Labatte Trophy

Season 23 - Victory Cup

Season 24 - Vladimir Kostka Trophy

Season 24 - Continental Cup

Season 25 - Sterling Labatte Trophy

Season 25 - Victory Cup

Season 25 - Vladimir Kostka Trophy

Season 25 - Continental Cup

Season 26 - Punch Imlach Memorial Trophy

2) Aksel Thomassen - C - Denmark

Full Biography

Career statistics:

Regular Season: 504 GP / 278 G / 447 A / 725 P / +334

Playoffs: 47 GP / 11G / 27 A / 38 P / +3

Career Awards

Season 41 – Brett Slobodzian Trophy

Season 41 – Mike Szatkowski Trophy

Season 41 – Alexander Beketov Trophy

Season 41 - Dustin Funk Trophy

Season 42 – Victory Cup (Quebec)

Season 42 – Devon Marlow Marta Trophy (Quebec)

Season 42 – Mike Szatkowski Trophy

Season 42 – Alexander Beketov Trophy

Season 42 – Mikka Virkkunen Trophy

Season 44 – Victory Cup (Quebec)

Edited by Jubo07

• Admin

My initial reaction was ewww what is this, it's different and I don't like it.

But, if we had written every builder article like this (or set up every builder page like this) it would probably be more obvious what everyone's achievements are/were. That said, I or another older member probably still need to do a few paragraphs showing our love and affection for Frank as is the tradition, but I am now quite tempted to set something like this up for all builders.

19 minutes ago, Victor said:

My initial reaction was ewww what is this, it's different and I don't like it.

But, if we had written every builder article like this (or set up every builder page like this) it would probably be more obvious what everyone's achievements are/were. That said, I or another older member probably still need to do a few paragraphs showing our love and affection for Frank as is the tradition, but I am now quite tempted to set something like this up for all builders.

lol thanks for the feedback. I would be glad to add some thoughts from veteran members of the site that have been here through Franks career.

Was there an example I could have gone by rather than coming up with own format? Guess I should have asked before hand.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Jubo07 said:

lol thanks for the feedback. I would be glad to add some thoughts from veteran members of the site that have been here through Franks career.

Was there an example I could have gone by rather than coming up with own format? Guess I should have asked before hand.

Yeah - usually they look like the articles in here: https://vhlportal.com/hof/inductees/builders

More tributes than facts, but that would be extremely difficult for a new member to write so personally I don't think they should even be up for grabs. That said though, like I said, I don't actually dislike your approach.

• 4 months later...

Never saw this before. Definitely like the format, and makes it easier for people to see the accomplishments of builders.

Hell, I can't even remember the usernames of quite a few of the ones in there lol

Positions Held: VHLM GM, VHLM Commissioner, Board of Governor, VHL GM, Grader

A shout-out is in order for @Jubo07 for compiling the original builder article here: https://vhlforum.com/topic/52099-s56-hof-class-frank-chadwick-builder -This is certainly not a task that would be easy for a newer member to the site. Here’s what Jubo wrote about Frank:

“Frank Chadwick has been a member of the VHL for over 40 seasons, holding a number of respected positions and built two hall of fame skaters in Adam Schultz and Aksel Thomassen.  

Chadwick was a GM for over 1000 games for the Davos and Quebec City franchises and achieved three continental cups including back to back championships in his first two seasons at the helm. Through his 15 seasons as a GM, his clubs appeared in the playoffs a total of 10 times winning a combined 51 games. Following his most recent championship (S56), Frank was inducted into the hall of fame and will forever be remembered as one of the leagues most formidable builders. On top of being a general manager, Frank held other prestigious positions including VHLM GM, VHLM Commissioner, and a seat on the board of governors.  

As new members of the VHL begin their journeys into the vastness of all it has to offer, Chadwick provides an excellent example of dedication meets success.  

His track record of successful skaters and management tactics provides inspiration and adoration to those surrounding him.”

Most certainly well said, but for the proper tribute to a builder article, there does have to be some element of a personal touch, and that’s what I’ll provide. I haven’t talked to Frank in a few years now and suspect that his activity has gone the way of mine, but I can talk to the early years of Frank with the VHL and the impact he had on the league during his high activity tenure here.

Thinking of Frank, there’s a few things that immediately come to mind. The first thought being his association with Davos as a team being a long-time player there and later the General Manager for a few seasons. Davos was consistently a thorn in the side of many of the teams I played for and generally, Frank was a large reason for the successes of those teams in the S20s. As a member of the Toronto Legion, Davos got the better of us more times than we’d care to admit.

The second memory I have of Frank is that he’ll likely go down as the greatest VHLM Commissioner of all-time, having held the role for a very long time and doing a very proficient job with it over his tenure. As some of you probably know, being the VHLM Commish was a challenging and often thankless job where you had a lot of responsibilities and didn’t really get paid well. You also didn’t get much respect from the community as a whole despite the importance of your role. Needless to say, the job changed hands often, but that wasn’t the case with Frank. Eventually we added a second commish to help with the workload. I believe Frank and Smarch worked together very successfully for seasons. In terms of Frank’s greatest contribution to the VHL, this was it in my opinion.

My third memory of Frank was his later association with the Quebec City Meute. I think he’s as synonymous with the Meute has Koradek originally was, he probably even surpassed him as an icon for the franchise. The only time I played with Frank (to my knowledge) was in Quebec with my last player. At the time, Quebec was a powerhouse in the league, but we weren’t able to win. Notably, Frank later built the team into a Cup winner. My season and a half there was enjoyable thanks to a really good group of teammates.

Finally, I think I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Frank’s personality, which was probably his greatest asset here. He was a genuinely nice and funny guy. He was a good member who was equally dependable as he was witty. You knew that if Frank took on a role in the league, that it would be done well. I haven’t talked to Frank in recent years, but he’s certainly one of the best members in the league I can remember. I remember Frank asking me one time about my career as he was thinking of switching over to it. Sometimes I wonder about that because I always thought he had a good personality for it. He was a good people person and that’s why he was so successful in the VHL.

So here’s to you Frank, I hope you’re happy and healthy and I hope to see you around the boards again someday soon. :cheers:

-sterling

Edited by sterling