Interview with Joseph Baker

JoBa

We caught up with the man, the myth, the legend: Joseph Baker. Here's what he had to say.

About resurrecting his career:

"I don't know man, it was just time to come home. Obviously, being from Canada, that's my first love. I've dabbled in baseball, baseketball and football, but none of quenched my thirst like hockey always has. I had a lot of issues back when I first joined in season 2. I was always in the media's spotlight because of my transgressions. I had a really bad opiate problem when I was younger. You mix that with depression and really heavy anxiety, and you've got a recipe for disaster. And that's exactly what happened. My boy Brovalenko called me on my cell (which you can read in TSN's most recent article) and just straight up asked me if I would come back. He's a really good friend of mine, and besides that, I've been secretly looking into joining in the last few weeks. After I knew someone actually wanted me to join, I felt like it was a sign. And now I'm here."

Why he switched to left wing:

"Well I scored a few times in high school and college, but I never got to do it on the big stage. Now, I have the opportunity to do that. Also, there are a ton of phenomenal goaltenders in the league right now. I was a backup for Team Canada back in season 2 and it felt terrible not being able to play. I think I played like 1 or 2 games in the tournament, and I did really well if I am remembering correctly. However, I want to start and I want to make an impact. No offense to reserves, but you can't really make a huge splash riding the pine. At least with being a forward, you know you're going to play; it just all depends which line you're going to be placed on."

His thoughts on the upcoming draft"

"Well I certainly don't think I will be a first-rounder. I think I joined too late for that. But who knows? I could end up going in the first round if there is a GM who is willing to take the risk, and really believes in me. Those who know me, know I have a great work ethic. Hell, I had a great work ethic when I was having all of those problems. The only difference is that I was sporadic with showing up to practice. Obviously, when I showed up, I looked and played great. But with those weeks I would not show up every now and then, it really pissed my coaches and teammates off, and obviously it would piss off anybody! But that's not the case with me now. I'm matured, I'm clean and I am ready to make an impact and kick some ass!"