Were the trades beneficial for both teams? (Trades Analysis)

bagelbitesisbae

(Like my topic if you want to see more!)

There have been a lot of trades, but none of them were big, blockbuster trades like we usually see every offseason. I’m not going to say the trades weren’t big because each trade has some form of significance and reasoning behind it. 

TRADE No.1 - (Jeff Skinner to the Buffalo Sabres for forward prospect Cliff Pu, 2019 2nd round draft pick, and 3rd and 6th round draft picks in the 2020 draft.) We all are probably thinking, Buffalo came out like freaking gang busters in this trade when in reality it was a decent trade. Jeff Skinner is on the last year of the contract he signed in 2013. Skinner probably wouldn’t have re-signed with Carolina and would probably go to free agency. Also, usually when a player is on the last year of their contract, they are worth a lot less. Since Skinner haven’t signed a new contract with Buffalo, he’s basically a rental to them. Luckily Buffalo didn’t give up too much for Skinner in case he decides to not re-sign a contract with them. Let’s talk about what Carolina got. Carolina got a decent forward prospect in Cliff Pu. Cliff Pu had a lot of injuries which really set him back a bit. He’s nothing special, but he’s a decent top 6 puck mover. Let’s not forget that Carolina is still in a rebuilding phase, firstly. They got a 2019 second round pick which will help them grab somebody decent (or possibly elite. The 2019 draft is supposed to be very deep so a second round pick is nice. They also got a 3rd and 6th round pick for the 2020 draft. The 3rd and 6th round shouldn’t get them somebody elite, but they might find somebody with decent upside. From recent talks, there was no indication that another team was in interested in trading for Jeff Skinner so the trade wasn’t too bad. 

TRADE No. 2 - (Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and defensive prospect Adam Fox for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin) I guess you could argue that this was a blockbuster trade, but it wasn’t huge. Let’s talk about what the Carolina Hurricanes got. Carolina got Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Adam Fox. Michael Ferland and Adam Fox were basically extras so let’s set them aside. The main piece was Dougie Hamilton. We have to question, why did Carolina trade away a quality, young defenseman for 25 year old Dougie Hamilton? Is Carolina really in a rebuild or did they just not believe in Noah Hanifin’s development. Hamilton has proved himself over a longer period of time versus Hanifin who experienced his first season in the NHL last season. I can’t go in the general managers’ heads to see what they were thinking, but I think Carolina wanted a solidified defenseman and Calgary wanted a younger defenseman to develop more.

(Like my topic!)

Just now, McWolf said:

How is O'Reilly to STL not a blockbuster?

I personally don’t think any of the trades this offeseason have been “blockbuster.” Obviously, my opinion on the word is different from other people’s opinions. 

6 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Carolina was making trades for the sake of making trades

When you got good pieces but they don't fit together or just plain won't develop past their current level (Lindholm lol), it's not a bad idea to just shake shit up a bit. I'm sad to see Skinner go though, he was their best player basically since he got there.

9 minutes ago, bagelbitesisbae said:

Then like my topic and I’ll make it for you. :)) (+ points are basically my “income.”)

payment finalized 

11 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I think rentals get way more then Skinner all the time. Look at Nash last year as an example of that. 

as long as Skins scores about as much as last season, which should be fairly easy with Eichel, Buffalo wins that trade in my book

10 minutes ago, McWolf said:

as long as Skins scores about as much as last season, which should be fairly easy with Eichel, Buffalo wins that trade in my book

Yeah exactly. Unless he gets hurt (can't predict that) or he scores 15 goals then there's no way the Sabres didn't win this one easily.