Name origin: Samuel Gate

scoop

When I name my players, there's (almost) always meaning to it. Both the first and last names will be derived from my interests, often with multiple references being made. Samuel Gate is certainly an example of this, more so the surname.

Samuel is simple; it's my name in real life! While I typically go by Sam, and it would've been easy enough to name my player Sam Gate, I figured I may as well go with Samuel. Obviously he can still be referred to as Sam, but I do like the sound of Samuel Gate more than Sam Gate.

Gate is more referential, but perhaps still less significant (given that Samuel is literally my name). I would say the primary source of inspiration is the anime Steins;Gate, with two other minor anime influences: the Testing Gate (from Hunter x Hunter) and the Gate of Truth (from Fullmetal Alchemist).

Further, there are multiple Mega Man references in the name Gate. In Mega Man Battle Network 2, there is a navi named GateMan.exe. This is second in terms of importance to the name Gate, as MMBN 2 was the game that really got me into the Battle Network series, and it was always one of my favorites. In Mega Man X6, there is a character named Gate, though this is one of the worst MMX games and I've only played through it once, so I don't really care too much for this guy.

Of course there was a Megaman reference!

Out of interest, do you happen to know if the anime of Steins;Gate inspired the video game or is it vice versa? It's just I've seen a lot of people mention that the video game is really good, but never gotten round to getting it.

16 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Out of interest, do you happen to know if the anime of Steins;Gate inspired the video game or is it vice versa? It's just I've seen a lot of people mention that the video game is really good, but never gotten round to getting it.

I had no knowledge of the game, but looking it up, the anime (and manga) were indeed based on the game.

Haha, I usually use some variation of my name for my players too. The closest name to come to my real name was Matt Bailey, which is a fairly close surname to my own.

MJ is a fairly close personal name, since my dads name is John, so my player name is literally Matt’s John’s son lol