Healing Carolina: Stoffiday heads to the Carolina Coast [2/2]

Stoffiday

Sports Center Theme

Good evening, my name is Obviously Bluffing, and here’s our top story.

As Hurricane Florence pummels the Eastern Seaboard, an unlikely beacon of hope is bringing help and healing to the families affected. Here’s Dubious Intentions with more!

Graphic Change

You wouldn’t really expect it, but Rhett Stoffiday of the Yukon Rush feels at home in the waters off Charleston, South Carolina. The Nashville-Born Goalie spent his summers with his grandparents, who would often take him up and down the Southern coastline for vacations.

“Memaw and Pappaw always took me to the beach each summer, so in some small way, this area’s responsible for a good bit of my upbringing. I’m glad I can come down and help this community, and try to bring a little light into their eyes again.” Stoffiday said, looking out into the Atlantic.

The Rush, who didn’t make the playoffs this year, let Rhett come down from the Yukon Territory to work with Habitat for Humanity, rebuilding homes and providing services for those affected.

“He’s a home-town boy, I remember his grandparents and him coming down here when he was real little and eating at my restaurant. Just a good kid. Glad he came to help.” Said Paul Simmons, Owner of the Perfect Storm Café, in Charleston.

Within the first few days of being in Charleston, Stoffiday and Habitat for Humanity have aided in the reconstruction of 25 homes, and plan to build 25 more by the end of the week.

The Yukon Goalie, whose team did not make the playoffs this year, was thankful that he had a job that allowed him to travel, with the Yukon actually paying for his trip home to help.

“I’m on the best team I could be on, GM Montgomery @BarzalGoat and coaches really know my heart and were able to make a very big impact in my coming here at this time. I thank them for it.”

On top of Stoffiday’s $10,000 contribution to the Hurricane Florence fund, The Yukon Rush matched Stoffiday, for a total of $20,000 towards the rebuilding effort.

Stoffiday played in over 60 games for the Rush, and was ranked 4th overall in Shutouts in the VHLM this season with 2.

When asked why he wanted to make the 6,000 mile journey, Stoffiday had this to say:

“You have to remember where you came from to get where you’re going, right? If I ain’t giving back, what reason am I even playing? I don’t care if I make a million dollars, or any of that, as long as I can play the game I love, and I can help the people who have loved me back.  I reckon I’d travel 10,000 miles if it meant I could help out.”

“There’s gonna be a few more Rhett Stoffiday Jerseys out here in Charleston, that’s for sure. He’s one of us, always was, always will be.” City Councilman Clyde Ballinger stated.

For Sports Center, I’m Dubious Intentions.

Sports Center Closing

Edited by Pierogi Tuxedo

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Healing Carolina: Stoffiday heads to the Carolina Coast [2/2]