VHL Logo Rankings [1/2]

Matt_O

In the VHL, each team has a logo which represents their team. Each logo is very different in their styles, but which one is the best? Lets take a look and rank the nine VHL logos

9) New York Americans

Card image cap

The Americans logo is clean, but it is very simple. They have the red, white and blue pattern that is associated with America, but their logo just doesn't show enough. It is too simple compared to the other VHL logos. The logo itself reminds me of the Rangers logo. The shield design is also a commonly used logo shape. For me, the Americans logo is nice but is too basic and doesn't have what it takes to compare to the other logos.

8. HC Davos Dynamo

Card image cap

Davos' logo is also very simple, but I like the purple and the mountains, which is better than what the Americans logo has to offer. The ring around the logo with the team name is a nice touch, and I really like the purple behind the mountains. However, it has a similar problem to the Americans, and it just doesn't have the uniqueness to hang around with the other logos. Overall it is a good logo but not as good as the other logos.

7) Riga Reign

Card image cap

The Reign originally ranked in the top five, but stumbled to the sixth spot, before I dropped them one more time down to seventh. The logo is a good one, as all the VHL logos are, but it doesn't work as well as the other logos do, but it is very hard to say why. This logo is in a higher tier compared to HC Davos and New York, but this logo suffers from the fact that the other logos are just too nice.

6)  Toronto Legion

Card image cap

This logo works really well for me. I'm not sure how to put it, but the way the team name is put into the logo really catches my eye. The blue color fits great, and the bird looks really cool. While I knocked the Americans and HC Davos' logo for being simple, this one finds a great balance between being simple and being cool looking.

5) Calgary Wranglers

Card image cap

This logo was really hard to rank. It hit as low as sixth in my rankings and soared as high as third, before I ultimately bumped it down to fifth. There is nothing wrong with this logo that caused it to be bumped down, it's just that at this point, all the logos are very good, and it doesn't take much for me to decide one is better than the other.  The horseshoe around the horse is a nice touch, and the horse looks like he is about to breath fire out of his nostrils (which is a good thing I think)

4) Moscow Menace

Card image cap

The newest VHL team has a logo that fits their team; it strikes fear into the hearts of opponents when they stare into the kings bright yellow eyes. This is a great logo, and I had a tough time choosing between this and the Titans logo. They both seem to have similar concepts, with just the head of a person representing the team. The gray and yellow colors fits very well and I can't help but think of the Kremlin when I see this logo.

3) Helsinki Titans

Card image cap

I'm not sure if the goal with this logo was to remind me of a Roman soldier, but it definitely does. That being said, the logo itself was originally ranked sixth, until I saw it enlarged, and I really took a liking to it. The blue top of the helmet fits well with the gray helmet and the white face of the 'titan'. All in all it is a simple, but very clean logo, and gets that fine line that Toronto also hit.

2) Vancouver Wolves

Card image cap

I really love this logo. The gray around the wolf makes it look so cool, and it reminds me of the Coyotes logo, but a better version of it. The shades of gray blend perfectly with each other, and this logo caught my eye as soon as I started looking at the logos. That being said, there is still one logo I think is better, and by now you've probably figure out that is:

1) Seattle Bears

Card image cap

There is so much I love about this logo. The red color of the bear fits perfectly with the tan in the background. One aspect that caught my eye was the scratch marks through the team name, which was a beautiful touch. The Bear itself looks like he is ready to snack on opposing teams souls, which is exactly what Seattle did through the season (until the playoffs)

That is my personal rankings of the VHL logos. Feel free to comment your own opinions, since this is a very subjective topic.

815 words

Edited by Matt_O

Nice list, Matt_O.  My list would be similar in the sense that I gravitate away from the more simple logos.  I like the intimidation from logos such as the Bears, but also the sleek design of the Toronto Legion is awesome.  I'd be interested to what you think of the VHLM logos as well!