A Better Way For TPE

Plate

There are times when players fall off the ladder. It's hard to stay on top, it requires persistence, dedication and a passion for the league. But if you want some advice from a top 5 pick who's fallen off, then keep reading. Today we talk with a player who's reputation has fallen harder than it's climbed, Rhye Tyr. 

"Where did you go?" 

"It turns out when you have a life, it exceeds hobbies from the outside, like this. I burned myself out, got too involved."

Rhye Tyr has had an amazing year. Scoring 66 points, 9 goals and having 57 assists. Averaging above a point a game, as a defenseman, in an otherwise defenseless draft. The VHL might have a small flaw when it comes to players ability for simming. Achievements are a thing, sure. However those don't contribute during the season. And it affects the draft, for example when Fish was selected when he wasn't eligible.

"You've been seen as going as low as the 24th pick, do you think that's fair?"

"I used to be projected to go top 5. It's not about the stats, or how well your player sims. It's about where you put your points and how long are you willing to go? Consistency moves you up the ladder.

A good way to do that is getting a job that pays tpe. You don't even need to do your job, at least there are people that get paid that don't do what they've been assigned.

I think there's a problem with the system, and I have an idea on how to fix it."

My proposed solution is a system that rewards players for simming well. You can claim that players, like Tripple H would spiral out of control, but that's how it is in real life. Nico Hischier, Nathan Mackinnon, Rasmus Dahlin, Elias Petterson are all good enough to play as the first line/pairing on the major team. And those are just a few examples.

It would be up to the players to manage their stats. If you get a hat trick in a game, get an extra tpe. If you get a Gordie Howe hat trick, get an extra tpe (1 goal, 1 assist and a fight). Or, as a goalie, if you get a shutout then you can claim 1 tpe. 

It would also get players more involved with the simmed games. There would be another dynamic between players and management. Players would want to stay on higher lines for more icetime and be given a chance to get more points by competing for a better team. 

Of course, there would be a cutoff to how many seasons you could claim tpe this way. You could have it go on for five seasons of a players lifespan, let's say.

I wanted to make a media spot about it because as the draft gets closer, because I think it's thematic. Prospects are all about potential tpe. We could have more legends this way, and be given the chance to see some greater players come out of this. 

Seriously, let me know if it's a good or sucky idea down below. 

• Commissioner

The problem we’ve historically had with doing this is that it makes the rich richer in a sense. The better players will get those things more which will get them more TPE which we’ll get them those things more; it’s an endless circle.

I understand why you'd want this to be the case, for sure. But I think there's enough semi-randomness in TPE-gaining as is through pickems, predict the score, lotto, etc.

Were this the case, I'd probably retire Hackett right now and just make an S67 draftee instead. The 'optimal time to create' might become the 'only time to create'.

I think it's demoralizing enough to play against 200-250 TPE players as a brand-new player, since you don't put up any stats (other than maybe penalty box time and an occasional assist). Like Bek and Enorama have said, the rich get richer and that's not a good thing for new members without good carryover/understanding of earning opportunities.

Provided the work you've put in since character creation and the current draft field, you still have a good shot at making early/mid second round! Unless you ditch your character for like 3 months straight you'll still find value in your player.

Edited by Renomitsu

To the point that the "Rich get richer", I have three things to say. 

1. There's the cap to tpe in the minors. Which means that even if somene hits above 200 tpe, they'll be sitting pretty going into the draft. And realistically, there would be about 10 or so players that fall into the cycle. With about 5 of them being elite in the draft. Which is realistic. 

2. For new players, such as myself, most players stay in the minors for 2-3 years. For those that retire their players and start off with an advantage, like tripple H, they wouldn't stay in the minors as long. And would be able to play 2nd or even 1st line icetime in the VHL when they get drafted. Which is exactly what hapens with some players when they do get into the majors. 

3. This system rewards for good simming. Pickems and lotto are completely random for tpe gain. Whereas this system rewards players for simming well. And honestly, as a new player joining the league, it would be sweet knowing that if I made a player that got better for simming. Then I might put more time into making him better. And I would also pay more attention to the games that happen. I would be forced to see each game and read box scores for extra tpe.

Also, I would like to point out that I think the system of having a player being only eligible for their draft if they make their character after the trade deadline is inefficient. 

What happens is players that are made earlier are just going to end up like tripple H. This is an alternative to making a tripple H rated player, without being a vet.  

And the main problem with the achievment tracker, as I stated in my original article, is that you don't get your tpe during the season. 

• Commissioner
19 minutes ago, Plate said:

There's the cap to tpe in the minors. Which means that even if somene hits above 200 tpe, they'll be sitting pretty going into the draft. And realistically, there would be about 10 or so players that fall into the cycle. With about 5 of them being elite in the draft. Which is realistic. 

There's a cap in the minors but not in the VHL. You never made it clear the suggestion would purely be for the VHLM. In any case people still don't create above 80 TPE so that leaves 120 TPE for them to gain before the cap. Players with full carryover are likely to play the best to start so they'd just cap faster: rich get richer.

20 minutes ago, Plate said:

2. For new players, such as myself, most players stay in the minors for 2-3 years. For those that retire their players and start off with an advantage, like tripple H, they wouldn't stay in the minors as long. And would be able to play 2nd or even 1st line icetime in the VHL when they get drafted. Which is exactly what hapens with some players when they do get into the majors. 

Most players spend at most 2 seasons in the VHLM; 1 pre-draft and 1 post-draft. Chances are in that time they wouldn't hit many of these milestones so the difference would be minimal at best. In practice, as I mentioned above, it would just take the best players and get them to the cap faster.

22 minutes ago, Plate said:

This system rewards for good simming. Pickems and lotto are completely random for tpe gain. Whereas this system rewards players for simming well. And honestly, as a new player joining the league, it would be sweet knowing that if I made a player that got better for simming. Then I might put more time into making him better. And I would also pay more attention to the games that happen. I would be forced to see each game and read box scores for extra tpe.

If anything the fantasy stuff is less random than the sim TBH. The sim is at least 75% luck with the other 25% coming from knowing what attributes to add to. At least the fantasy stuff you can choose teams likely to win. The achievement tracker and pay for awards reward you for getting better; I don't see a reason to add extra TPE for that. Becoming a better player is a sufficient reward IMO without having TPE attached to it.

24 minutes ago, Plate said:

Also, I would like to point out that I think the system of having a player being only eligible for their draft if they make their character after the trade deadline is inefficient. 

What happens is players that are made earlier are just going to end up like tripple H. This is an alternative to making a tripple H rated player, without being a vet.  

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. Players made earlier are in a different draft and should have plenty of TPE by the time the deadline comes around and any recreates get made. In addition, something like this, as I mentioned, wouldn't really be an alternative. For one, it would still count toward those vets so the bar just slides. Second, it wouldn't come up that often unless we make it far too easy in order to make up the difference.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just don't see how any of these points counter the rich getting richer. Rewarding sim performance will only make the better players stronger and give them more advantages. It's like giving tax breaks to the rich; it doesn't help the poor any.