Inside the Mind: The Malmo Nighthawks Expansion Draft [1/2]

Advantage

Inside the Mind: The Malmo Nighthawks Expansion Draft

Hello everyone, and welcome to my article on why I took who I took in the Malmo Nighthawks Expansion Draft.  This article will breakdown all of my selections and why I took the players I did.  I won’t mention anyone else that was available just to not cause ruffles with that player and their General Manager, so don’t bother asking for the other options.

First, I will say that I was looking at the best combination of youth and talent that I could find, while mostly ignoring position.  I figured with how strong the upcoming draft Is, I could shore up positional needs there and just focus on getting as many young active players as possible. 

Calgary Wranglers – Brian Strong (W) – I know Wheaties pretty well.  I was a member of his team in the EFL and was one of the backbones of his franchise.  He’s a really good guy and while he’s a quiet member, I believe he is someone that I can communicate with a lot and help nurture his player’s talent so that he can become a very strong (haha) power forward for our team.  The options were pretty limited as well so this was not a difficult decision.

Davos Dynamo – Jack Lynch (W) – Yes, there were more developed players available.  With that being said, a S65 player with around 300 TPE…how can I pass that up? I was thrilled to find out he’d be available and was quik to snatch him up for sure.  I think he can be a really solid backbone to my team’s offense and be one of my leading offensive weapons going into the future.  This was probably one of the easiest picks I had to make.

Helsinki Titans – David Harrison (C) - I’m hoping he returns because he had made a really solid player before leaving the site on April 9.  There were really no other realistic options here with either upcoming Free Agents or even more inactive players being available.  Plus, Harrison can fill in as a second line center for the team in the meantime and hopefully he will return soon.

New York Americans – Matthew Materazo (W) – Very easy choice.  He’s pretty well-developed and quite young and I think he will emerge as a solid leader on our club after seeing him in the New York LR.  He has a real excitement for the team and I’m thrilled to have him on the Nighthawks.  Wouldn’t surprise me if he takes on a big role for the team.

Riga Reign – Teagan Glover (C) - The hardest decision…but not cause of Glover..but rather the interest of Moose on the Reign, who was a defender that was developing well as well.  Ultimately, I took Glover because I felt he had higher value which meant I could trade for Moose (which I successfully did) and I grabbed a future top center for my squad who is already around 300 TPE as a Season 65 Draftee.  I’m very excited to have him down the middle and to eventually add Nygren to make a great 1-2 punch.

Seattle Bears – Sergei Kovalev (W) – He was definitely the best player there and he’s a veteran talent who will be over 500 TPE to start the season so he should solidify around the rest of my young players, and help bring up their seasons hopefully.  Very familiar with the member and we even lived in the same city for seven years so a lot of comfort taking him there.

Toronto Legion – Johnny Havenk Carison (G) – There really was no other choice here.  500+ TPE goaltender who is in prime of his career..check.  Helped that there was no one else really available as well given Toronto’s pretty limited roster in overall players and prospects.  Carison is the best player on our team and will be a rock for us going forward.

Vancouver Wolves – Matthew Kai (W) – Of all the players I contacted regarding Expansion, he was one of the most excited ones by far.  A player who hadn’t updated for almost a month but had recently been doing Point Tasks again.  He wanted a fresh start and thought Malmo would be a perfect chance, and I took him up on that.

Review - A rare, but consistent insight from you - always well-appreciated. I see little-to-nothing wrong with your writing style, grammar, spelling, etc. Formatting is logical and easy on the eye, images or not. It feels like, at times, the Nighthawks got a bit unlucky insofar as who was considered active vs. inactive, but I'm glad you got the forwards you wanted. I was intrigued to see how you reasoned through the Glover vs. Moose selection.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Inside the Mind: The Malmo Nighthawks Expansion Draft [1/2]