Humble Beginnings Derek England [2/2]

(1113 Word Count)

947944795_EnglandHome.jpg.adb4bcb901f4bfd61946d7d05659646a.jpg

Pictured above is the home of Derek England. He endured harsh winters but never had a problem with his responsibilities. His father worked with the Oryol Public Transportation Department and always made sure his family had food on the table and a warm bed to sleep in. His mother took care of the house and takes odd jobs sewing for friends and family. She has always been the backbone and moral support system for father and son. Derek's father had a love of hockey and that love was contagious spreading to both his wife and later his son who was taught the game at a very early age. His mother was at every practice and every game, always pushing Derek to never give up.

1327921922_pond2.jpg.40e5ae5ba8377317486248dd1b9da739.jpg

Derek learned how to skate on the above picture. This pond was near his backyard only a hop, skip and a jump away. He would spend hours upon hours of his free time out on the ice having fun and falling down many times. Skating wasn't enough as he got the hockey bug early in life from watching pick up games. When his father had free time he would teach Derek how to skate backwards and later on got him his first stick and puck to mess about with on the ice. England was getting involved in pick up games with the local neighborhood kids around the age of 7. As he got older they would go out to a larger area where hockey was more present and his Father got him involved in what is considered pee wee hockey at the age of 9. All the games were outdoors and it wasn't until a few years later that Derek would get involved in indoor rinks. Below is a picture of the larger pond that had more public traffic. Especially on the weekends.

1490413064_pond4.thumb.jpg.968045ad4667f6b810a4578ea22cb830.jpg

As time went on and Derek started to improve, it was apparent that he had  a true love of hockey. It was clear to his parents, that this is what he was going to do as far as an extracurricular activity and they both approved and supported him in his endeavor. Hockey equipment was expensive but Derek made do with a second hand selection. He would do odd jobs around the neighborhood and for his father saving up every dime that he made. Eventually he was able to buy new equipment. His father thought he could make due with buying used but after losing a few fights with the wife he gave in. Derek's father kept buzzing in his ear that the equipment wasn't what really mattered. The true wealth was in the heart and in your desire to want to improve and succeed. Once you have your mind right the next step would be conditioning and after that they would work on the skill aspect. "Everyone has talent" he would say "but not everyone has character." 

At the age of 12, Derek got his first taste of competitive hockey in Junior High School and it was clear he was behind many of the other kids who had the money and official training. However, his father taught him some key fundamentals about the human will and mental toughness that the other kids didn't seem to have or understand just yet. The combination of Derek's hunger and relentless conditioning is what got him on the team and onto the second line playing defense. The Brunswick Junior High School Badgers had a good run with Derek on the team for three years and he started to really get a good grasp of how to play the game at this level. The team won the championship for their division in his middle year.

champs.jpg.bd9259b961955ab2a8d72b0ee7df3a7a.jpg

In his High School years he continued to improve and got focused on eating healthy and constantly working out. He wasn't a great student but he kept up his grades enough to stay eligible, make his father and mother happy and continue on with learning hockey. He did his chores and helped around the house when he was asked. He also got a part time job cleaning up around the bus depot and it was his father who helped him land that position. From 10th grade through 12th Derek was on the first line for defense and became one of the best defensive players in his school district. Tragedy struck during a heated altercation with a rival on the ice and Derek was unable to finish his last season due to injury. He broke his wrist and it took months to recover. His team was unable to win any championship and it was something he had always regretted but it he felt that it was a learning experience. After the mayhem on the ice and the injury that he suffered Derek decided to change the style of his game. Although he wanted to play physical he felt that it might be better to play hockey and leave the emotions off the ice. He still struggles with it from time to time but he knows better.

brawl.thumb.jpg.e71d2c452312a346a196dfa4f0b6d077.jpg

At 19 years old, he had to help the family out and money was an issue when it came to furthering his education. Derek still had a deep love for hockey and decided to play for a local league that one might consider a beer league. The Oryol Wranglers were a competitive league that was funded by the players mostly. They even traveled as far as Kiev in the Ukraine. During his second season at the age of 20 is when the locals really started to create a fuss about Derek.

wrangler1.gif.4c9dfac5c122b6b4711aee30778d1670.gif

This is when Super Agent StamkosFan got wind of this player and traveled to Oryol to look over Derek. As noted in a prior publication, it didn't take long for Stammer to get a hold of the VHL/VHLM connections and invite Derek to a combine work out. Everything fell into place for England as he was picked up by an expansion team. To the surprise of almost everyone, including Derek, he was selected 31st in the 66th Season Dispersal Draft of the VHLM by the Mexico City Kings.

Kings.png.83e4c6dc4ff04c8e47236ff406227a99.png

As far as story book forest endings go, this is one that continues on for Derek. He has expressed his devotion to the VHLM and the Kings organization and one day hopes to move up through the ranks possibly getting into the VHL. It clearly is something that he never expected but takes very seriously now and has promised to put hockey first above all for the time being. He has stated that he wants to do what is right for the team and put selfish ambition on the back burner.

Edited by PenKnight

• Commissioner

Review:

Great biography. I appreciated the fact that he came from little and knew he was behind with equipment and skills but focused on the basics. How even though it was only a couple of years of formal playing (high school) he knew he couldn't sustain it. He wasn't ever the best but his work ethic overcame those deficiencies. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Humble Beginnings Derek England [1/2]

Review:

Good biography. I liked that you included photos so we could visualize his upbringing. I'd have liked to seen a little info at the top as a header so I could figure out what position he played, size and age and such. I think that could've brought more to your bio. Other than that, this was great and I look forward to your future work.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Humble Beginnings Derek England [2/2]
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, fonziGG said:

Review:

Good biography. I liked that you included photos so we could visualize his upbringing. I'd have liked to seen a little info at the top as a header so I could figure out what position he played, size and age and such. I think that could've brought more to your bio. Other than that, this was great and I look forward to your future work.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking that this came out after Derek England joined the VHLM draft and everyone knew he played defense as stated in prior media spots and such. I was focusing on his upbringing rather than hockey experiences. After reading your comment and re-reading England's Biography, I noticed I did not include that information that you pointed out. Just a poor execution on my part, using assumption, which is never good. Will work on it in the future and thanks!

I think this was the only mention of what position England plays on the ice.

It was buried deep in the middle of the story and could easily of been passed over.

"The combination of Derek's hunger and relentless conditioning is what got him on the team and onto the second line playing defense."

As you suggest a simple profile header at the top would of rounded this all out much better.

Lesson Learned.

Edited by PenKnight

4 hours ago, PenKnight said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking that this came out after Derek England joined the VHLM draft and everyone knew he played defense as stated in prior media spots and such. I was focusing on his upbringing rather than hockey experiences. After reading your comment and re-reading England's Biography, I noticed I did not include that information that you pointed out. Just a poor execution on my part, using assumption, which is never good. Will work on it in the future and thanks!

I think this was the only mention of what position England plays on the ice.

It was buried deep in the middle of the story and could easily of been passed over.

"The combination of Derek's hunger and relentless conditioning is what got him on the team and onto the second line playing defense."

As you suggest a simple profile header at the top would of rounded this all out much better.

Lesson Learned.

Don't worry bud, I still really liked your post and I figured it all out. Great post!