Basaraba Moose Press Conference

Basaraba Moose sits down with the media to discuss the start of what will be a long career in Malmo, and his recent contract extension. 

1. Are you excited about being on Malmo?

2. How well do you think the team will do this season?

3. Any personal goals for this year?

4. Did you think Riga got a good return for you when they traded you? (S67 third, S68 2nd and 4th)

5. What are your career goals? Any milestones you want to hit?

9 hours ago, Matt_O said:

1. Are you excited about being on Malmo?

2. How well do you think the team will do this season?

3. Any personal goals for this year?

4. Did you think Riga got a good return for you when they traded you? (S67 third, S68 2nd and 4th)

5. What are your career goals? Any milestones you want to hit?

Just now, Thranduil said:

6. What was the main thing that drove you to sign your extension with your new team?

1. Man, I can't put into words how excited I am to be part of this great franchise with such a great manager. It's definitely got me riled up and ready to go! There was a while there where I was almost ready to quit the league, but this installed a brand new enthusiasm in me.

2. I think we'll finish no lower than 8th, but could finish as high as 5th, and push for the last playoff spot. By next season though, we'll be amazing.

3. I just want to establish myself immediately as I hit the VHL. Should be a great season for the team and I want to help with that and start my career off the right way.

4. I mean, yes I do think they got a good price for me. I didn't realize Advantage put that much value on me, but seeing him give up that much to bring me in, it just makes me want to go harder to prove he made the right decision.

5. For now, my main goal is to win a cup with Malmo before my career is up. I plan to stay here forever, and have even signed a big extension to show I'm loyal. Now it's just time to prove to the rest of the league what we're made out of.

6. Well I think I saw the fact that Malmo was willing to give up so much for me, and it made me want to prove them right, so to make the trade as worthwhile for them as possible, I chose to sign over all of my prime years so that they could be sure they were getting as much back as possible.

Thanks for the questions Matt and Thran. See you on the ice this season boys!

• 2 weeks later...

1. How did you come up with the name "Basaraba Moose"? I have to say, I really like it.

2. You've been putting up both the offensive and defensive numbers so far this season. Which are you more surprised to see?

3. What do you think has contributed most to Malmo's success so far?

4. What do you have to say to anyone who thinks Malmo doesn't deserve to be doing well?

5. Which team do you think will be Malmo's greatest threat?

6. What's your best VHL story? 

@Toasty

Edited by GustavMattias

On 5/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, GustavMattias said:

1. How did you come up with the name "Basaraba Moose"? I have to say, I really like it.

2. You've been putting up both the offensive and defensive numbers so far this season. Which are you more surprised to see?

3. What do you think has contributed most to Malmo's success so far?

4. What do you have to say to anyone who thinks Malmo doesn't deserve to be doing well?

5. Which team do you think will be Malmo's greatest threat?

6. What's your best VHL story? 

@Toasty

1. Well, in grade 8, @Thranduil and I had this grumpy math teacher called Milton Basaraba. We were sitting in the computer lab during media arts, completely procrastinating, when he asked me to join the VHL. Helped me sign up and we brainstormed names. I originally was going to go with another John name, after John Madden, so I went from John Deere to John Moose and we almost went with that, but then he pulled Basaraba out of nowhere, and we both thought it was hilarious so I went with that for the first name and kept the Moose for the last name.

shit posted accidentally

2. I am definitely more surprised about the offense. I've always put defense first and it took me 1.5 solid defensive seasons in the VHLM before the offensive numbers really started coming in. I didn't totally expect to carry that into the VHL, but I guess I just play how I did in the 'M and it works for me.

3. I think our defense has been stellar. We are lucky enough to be a team with some defenders that aren't always trying to score, and actually care about their end, and because of that, it is very difficult for the opposition to get sustained opportunities in our zone.

4. Not worth the time, they're either lying to themselves or can't think straight.

5. Not sure, I like to think, another darkhorse, Hockey Club Davos Dynamo, because my friend John Madden plays there. For a possible opponent in the finals, I'd say maybe Calgary, but it's too hard to say at this point.

6. The time I was playing for Halifax in S63. First game of the playoffs. We came back from 7-1 down and won 8-7 in OT. Zajaczkowski, with a natural hat trick and the OT winner, for a total of 4 goals and I had 3 assists.

Edited by Toasty

• 2 weeks later...

1. do you miss Riga?

2. do you fell your D partner Vanderhuge could've been more active?

3. Malmo has slowed down recently. Are you not planning to play in playoffs anymore?

4. do you dream about Advantage making a trade for Madden?

5. do you hate Moscow?

6. do you hate any VHL team?

7. is David Harisson the laziest guy in Malmo?

8. mutual option for S70?

9. do you hope another Riga prospect gonna end up here?

10. what do you think about the retirement of Odinsson?

@Toasty

On 5/29/2019 at 11:28 AM, Advantage said:

1. Thoughts on being named Captain?

2. After a successful year this year, what are your goals going forward?

3. Who is our biggest threat in the long-term do you think?

1. Couldn't be more honoured. I was very surprised to be chosen, and I am keen to impress.

2. Continue to grow as a leader for this team. Being part of the inaugural team is always fun and I can't wait to continue my career in Malmo.

3. I think Moscow is up and coming. They'll be a good natural rival in a few years. Expansion brothers. Russia vs Sweden. It is perfect.

6 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

1. do you miss Riga?

2. do you fell your D partner Vanderhuge could've been more active?

3. Malmo has slowed down recently. Are you not planning to play in playoffs anymore?

4. do you dream about Advantage making a trade for Madden?

5. do you hate Moscow?

6. do you hate any VHL team?

1. I do miss Riga, but I'm happy where I am and I'm happy for Riga being near the top of the league again.

2. He's in a bunch of leagues. I get it. I have a hard time being active myself. No hard feelings.

3. I am just taking the season in stride. Helping the team where I can.

4. I do. Madden and I are besties and we want to play together one day. Probably he will come here, not the other way around.

5. Yes. I hate them with all my heart.

6. Moscow sir.

Edited by Toasty

6 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

8. mutual option for S70?

9. do you hope another Riga prospect gonna end up here?

10. what do you think about the retirement of Odinsson?

@Toasty

8. I didn't really think about it too much. Advantage just threw it on there I guess. Not a big deal for me.

9. Yes, I love all your prospects, but I only count the ones that played for Halifax first, then were drafted by Riga, then came here. So far, it's me, Glover, and Vanderhuge in that category.

10. Very sad. He was an amazing member. ?