Pajari Excited To Join Malmo

Devise

Well after spending his entire career as a member of the Riga Reign, and coming into his own as a second line center for them last season Mikka Pajari now finds himself with a lot more responsibility. The S61 center was traded to the expansion Malmo Nighthawks, a team easily with the best logo in the league. Probably best name/city combination too. Also one of the best GM's of all time coming out of the old toolshed to add to an already impressive legacy. 

It has been a busy off-season but we caught up with Mikka to get his thoughts on the move, his increased role and his excitement about joining an expansion franchise. 

I wasn't that shocked. Thankfully Riga is a well managed team and I was given a heads up that the franchise was looking to keep young especially with the huge influx of youth being invested into the league right now. That sometimes mean sacrificing prime contracts, even if you've loaded up your roster. When push came to shove I know that it's the Cast and Encarnacion show in Riga, rightfully so. I was happy to find chemistry with Crimson last season but S66 is going to be a new challenge for me. I'm super happy to join Malmo, I think they have a good team there. I think Odinsson switching to D signals a shift in the landscape there as more top players look to get in on that race. Otherwise it's a good young roster, especially for an expansion franchise. I find myself in the position of likely being the top forward on the club, which will be a new experience from me. But I do think this is an expansion team that can push that EU and try to make the playoffs. The key factor will be JHC in net. That is a former Cup winner, he knows what it's like to get it done and he's an underrated top notch goalie in the VHL. I recognize it'll be a big push from me here for the final few seasons with more responsibility but I'm taking on this challenge seriously. I think this move probably makes the most sense for me and my career going forward, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Malmo can do in their first season.