Hackett Makes USA's WJC Squad, Promptly Has 8 PIMs vs. Helsinki

Renomitsu

Riga, Latvia - Hackett's having a standout season in multiple ways - and not all of them are positive.

Nearly a week ago, manager @Matt_O announced the USA roster for Season 66's World Juniors - including buddies Hackett and Malmo's Jerry Garcia @GustavMattias. In fact, three of the four defensemen for the newly-announced team were players drafted just a few weeks ago (including Davos's Charlie Paddywagon), and each also approach the point cap for the team. They've each very different styles of play - Paddywagon is a bit more of a pure technical/positioning defender, Hackett is something of an enforcer, and Garcia is a hybrid of the two. That playstyle, at least for Hackett, was on display almost immediately after the announcement.

He's had two games with 6+ PIMs since the announcement, including one tripping and two hooking penalties in the first period alone in a game against Helsinki. When asked about this change in play after the game, Hackett smiled and shrugged.

"That's how the game is sometimes, yeah? I usually tamp it down after the first period," he said on his way to the locker room, "but today I just got a little careless and unlucky. Never a good combination, got Kriketers taken out early because of some rough early powerplays."

His affect brightened a little on mentioning the WJC. "Hah, yeah, I'm definitely excited! Saw some buddies play in the championship last year and it looked like a blast. Can't wait to play on the same team as Jerry."