Wroclaw Times - Eagles off-season prep [2/2]

Greg_Di

How did Greg Eagles prepare for his first VHLM season?

francois_allaire_andreimer.jpeg
Eagles working with his goalie coach

Greg Eagles quiet evolution into an elite VHLM goalie for the San Diego Marlins hasn’t surprised his coaches, teammates or scouting staff but it has surprised the rest of the league.

The scouting staff had already witnessed the 6’1 goalies ability to frustrate opponents last year when the scouts were looking at him during his college career and the world juniors. “You could just tell  that when teams came to play against Eagles, they could tell that he had the capability of stealing the game. Even if his team didn’t play well, he kept them in it,” one of the San Diego scouts said.

This was almost repeated by his ex college  coach who said “We won a lot of games because of him, solely because of him and the way he was able to steal the game. And now you’re starting to see that at the VHLM level.”

So far in his VHLM career It’s been a great start to the season for the Marlins and a big part of that has been the play of Eagles. “He’s having a really good first year for us. He’s become a really good goalie in the short amount of time he has been here. He’s been a big part of a lot of our wins,” Marlins GM InstantRockstar said after Eagles helped the team to a 5-4 shootout victory over the Mexico City Kings.

The journey to becoming an elite goalie has been long but worth it for the native of Wroclaw, Poland.Before his start with the Marlins, Eagles hired a goalie coach to help him adapt to the VHLM style of game. The coach was a well known and very popular coach out of the NHL who helped goalies such as Carey Price, Fredrik Anderson and Tuuka Rask. The coach wanted to rename anonymous for this article.

Soon after being hired, the goalie coach traveled to San Diego to meet with Eagles for the first time and talk about his philosophies and one of those being that in order to be an elite goaltender it has to be a lifestyle choice. “This is not about just coming to the rink and just playing as a goalie” the goalie coach said. “What are you doing recovery wise? What are you doing maintenance wise? are you eating properly? These are all the questions I ask the goalies I train, it’s all the little things you do outside the game that help you be better”

powerful-foods.jpeg

A sample of Greg Eagles new diet

One aspect of Eagles game that needed work was his ability to keep pace with what’s happening on the ice, since the VHLM is much faster then college, he needed to focus on the puck the goalie coach said. The duo worked on everything from visually tracking the puck to decision making, all in order to give Eagles more organization in his game.

The result is a goalie who so far has wowed his teammates and the league, a goalie who consistently appears focused and calm, and a goalie that is able to make highlight reel-worthy saves on some of the league’s most skilled shooters. “He’s one guy we can rely on every night to show up. You’ve seen it all year,” said Lincoln Tate.

When we asked Eagles about his play he had the following to say

“The most important thing for me is to lead by example and be a good teammate to everyone here. This is a team sport  and  by that I mean coming into practice every day, staying healthy and playing good hockey. If I play good hockey, all the guys are going to want to follow and play good too. I know I missed practice once due to partying but that is all behind me now”

Despite his success this season, Eagles isn’t ready to reflect yet on how the season has gone or how his season might raise his draft potential.. After all, the Marlins still have many games left as they try to hold that 4th position and make the playoffs. “We’ve still got hockey to play and I’m still focusing on the process and getting better every day.” Said Eagles

Edited by Greg_Di

Review:

This is a great spot! Combines some analysis of his skills with the backstory.. and you went even above and beyond by making a graphic for your meal plan! Clearly a lot of effort was put in here and it pays off in quality! I would have probably just found a slightly smaller image to put in-between the title and the body text - it's a little overwhelming. Otherwise, Eagles is set to be a cornerstone of any VHL team and this spot explains exactly why! Well done! @Greg_Di :cheers: 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Wroclaw Times - Eagles off-season prep [2/2]