Claimed:A Blog Rant Part i

Phil

A Blog Rant Part i

ranting-color-istock.jpg

It has been a while since I've practiced my hand at writing. I used to do a massive amount when I was young. I wrote many short stories and read them to my brother long ago. I enjoy writing. I've started 3 novels and never gotten passed the 30-page mark. Later, in my teens, I tried writing for a sports journal, documenting the goings on in the British Hockey League and reporting on the games.

That penmanship has been replaced by 'stickmanship'. Now I mainly practice my hand at stick handling and puck movement;  quick flowing hands with more wrist movements. However, I sit before you today to give a rant in a blog version. It's all I can do to not punch a baby in the face with a  seagull scrotum. Let me explain:

I show immense pride in the city I grew up in, Torquay. I did 50 hours more community service than was required of my school just because it gave me pleasure to make my hometown just that much better. In pursuit of my career, I had to not only move cities, but countries. I currently play for Riga Reign - stationed, quite expectedly, in the middle of the capital of Latvia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrCPEqDiXik

At first I thought, Oh great! The center of Viking trade routes. I hope I don't get raped with a helmet horn. But then I got there. It is a magnificent place. Beautiful architecture and scenery everywhere you look. It's got the majestic Daugava River running through the heart of the city - much like the Thames through London. Everybody smiles as they walk around and there's a good sense of community among the people here. Knowing that I've signed a 3-year deal here and will be calling this place home for that period of time, makes me glad.

Clearly, I've already established some emotional attachment to the place, or maybe it's just my moral values kicking and my reaction would have been the same regardless of where I was stationed in the world.

I had just come from my power-lifting session at the gym and realized that I had not eaten anything since breakfast, 7 hours ago. I glanced down at my watch which informed me of the fact that I had two hours before I needed to hit the ice for an evening skate.

A_Mini_powerlifter_amped.gif

Still new to the city, I have yet to uncover many of its secrets. However, last week I did find this fantastic shawarma  place. I bee-lined for it and soon enough was sitting down at the table ledge eating a beef shawarma and looking out on the city of Riga and the pedestrians passing by.

There are some very interesting types of people that flutter by. A few men in business suits, some women that look like prostitutes on break, a vagrant leaning against a convenient store's wall, school kids walking home, etc. I was very content eating and people watching.

Then I saw this kid (he couldn't have been older than 12 or 13) walking by, presumably on his way home from school, eating a slice of pizza. I watch him as he nonchalantly drops the take-out package of the pizza to the ground and slinks on. This happened right in front of me, only a window and the railings from the closed patio between me and the garbage.

At first I stared at it, looking hard to see if I have finally discovered I am Superman, waiting for my x-ray vision to turn off and the garbage bin materialized around the garbage. Alas it did not. Still, I could always hope that one day, somehow... maybe.....

Edited by ssdd911

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

615 words. I like blog work and while this one didn't venture too close to league-related content, I see where this is going and I liked the direction and thought process behind this. It wasn't direct, but it was enough.

Grammar: 2/2

Good work.

movement;  quick = movement; quick (just spacing)

a  seagull = a seagull (again spacing)

for Riga Reign = for the Riga Reign

Appearance: 1/1

Links, title, pictures; it was all there.

Overall: 6/6

• 4 weeks later...