Claimed:A Blog Rant Part ii

Phil

A Blog Rant Part ii

Molson-Canadian-The-Rant.jpg

....Then rage overtook me. I jerked to an upright position and start to shout after the kid but only managed to start choking on an un-chewed bit of beef. I coughed and spluttered for about half a minute while the proprietor of the place gave me an unconvincing pat on the back. Once I resumed my normal breathing pattern, I gave him the thumbs up and shot out of the store. I grabbed the garbage and bolted after the punk.

pat-on-the-back-300x300-scaled5951.jpg

I caught up with him easily and tapped him hard on the top of the shoulder. He abruptly turned to see what that was and was greeted by a face full of garbage.

"Dropped something?" I asked in my most innocent voice, with only slight undertones of murder attached, the way a pedophile would give candy to a baby.

The punk took half a step away, leaning back and gave a disapproving half smirk and turned to walk on.

"Do you live here?" I asked, still holding the garbage and walking beside him. "Do you throw things on the floor in your room?"

The kid nodded.

"And someone else, perhaps your mother, picks it up for you?"

The kid nodded.

"Oh, oh she does, does she? And tell me," I said, getting more agitated, "Do you throw garbage on the floor of your kitchen?"

The kid nodded.

"So you just throw everything down wherever you feel like it because someone else will pick it up for you, do you?" (The kid nodded). "Well tell me, do you flush after you've taken a SHIT?"

The kid stared blankly at me.

"...Or do you expect that to be done for you? Is that too taxing on your sad little frame, to push a button to make the shit disappear?"

The kid stared blankly at me.

"...Or do you even bother walking all the way to the bathroom? Do you just take a shit in the middle of the living room and leave it there for mummy to clean up? Do you walk around with a fucking roll of toilet paper  hoping that someone else will wipe your ass for you? Throwing your shit around, at home or out on the streets is unacceptable and you should learn some goddamn decency and respect for the place you are in. Show some fucking pride in your city. Or have you none? Because that's terrorist talk and don't get me started on that..."

I took a deep breath in, glowering down at the punk. He seemed unsure what to make of the situation. It reminded me of disciplining a dog. That awkward moment after you tell it what to do and it knows it's suppose to do something, it's just not sure what.

I took the opportunity and put the garbage in his hand and pointed to the bin. Staring blankly, he walked over and placed it in the trash. He turned around to look at me, but I was already gone. He looked through the other pedestrians trying to figure out what had happened, bobbing his head around to get a glimpse of me, but could see nothing. I know this because I darted into the nearest store, an ice-cream parlour, and watched his reaction from afar.

I don't know whether he'll litter again, for I am not aware of the impact that lectures from a complete stranger have on an individual, but I do know that I can't stand by idly while I watch someone litter a city and am a part of. Riga is a beautiful place and I would love for it to stay that way.  

Although, I thought, licking the ice cream I just ordered, it just occurred to me that my speech could have been much more effective if I knew Latvian. Screaming at someone in foreign language is hardly a good way to get my point across.

Oh well, you can't blame me for trying. 

*Editor's note: Yes, this is very semi-auto-biographical. This happened today at The Pita-Q in downtown Toronto by The University of Toronto, going from the gym to my class. Some of it was slightly exaggerated here. 

It's the story of a VHL Player's values. VHL players are more than just the stats they produce. Everyone of them are individuals who happen to have an exceptional gift, however that does not necessarily mean that they are egotistical and believe themselves "above" the common-folk. 

Little told are stories / Media Spots that exemplify the humanistic side of the VHL. Villeneuve's experience coming to Riga, and even being drafted into the biggest International Hockey League in the world, has not changed the values he has had since childhood. 

Not everything in the sports literature are stats and reviews of games. 

I usually speed read and after that first paragraph this is what I read.

....Then rage overtook me. I jerked for about half a minute while the proprietor of the place gave me an unconvincing pat on the back. Once I resumed my normal breathing pattern, I gave him the thumbs up and shot out of the store.

WTF kind of story is this

Edited by Mike

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

662 words. Not overly league-related (no real mention of anything league-related), but it ties into the first segment, which of course people would have to read to understand. You make valid points and have a completely different view (as you stated in this thread) that may not have been touched upon yet. Good angle here. I would have punched that kid in the larynx.

Grammar: 2/2

Good.

paper  hoping = paper, hoping

city and am a part of = city I am a part of

Appearance: 1/1

Looked good.

Overall: 6/6

• 4 weeks later...