Would Jakab Holik be the worst goalie in the HOF?

Victor

• Admin

Focusing on Holik as he has Moon beat in all stats other than GAA and has a Shaw to Moon's 0. Granted Moon had better playoff stats but that's a different matter.

See the Ay Ay Ron article for context on why I'm doing this: https://vhlforum.com/topic/66572-would-ay-ay-ron-be-the-worst-defenceman-in-the-hof/

There have been 20 goalies inducted into the Hall of Fame, but I'm going to exclude the 3 guys who played between S1 and S7 (Maxim Desny, Matthew Pogge, Adrian McCreath) as their stats don't hold up.

So if the other 17 became 18, where would Holik rank in the key stats?

Wins: 292 (12th)

Behind him: Sandro Clegane, Alex Gegeny, Benoit Devereux (slightly shorter careers), Apollo Skye, Norris Stopko, Remy LeBeau (better playoff performances, more awards)

Save%: .922 (13th) – tied with Hans Wingate and Norris Stopko

Behing him: Remy LeBeau, Daisuke Kanou, Brick Wahl (all got in on the strength of their playoffs)

GAA: 2.00 (4th) – behind only Greg Clegane, CAL G, and Tuomas Tukio

Shutouts: 88 (2nd) – behind only Greg Clegane

The strength of Holik is his GAA and shutouts but these need to be supported by a strong save % otherwise are obviously inflated by team success (and Holik played in an era where 6/10 teams at least were pretty bad). But the margins for goalie stats are so thin (e.g. .922 save % for Holik vs .929 for Gegeny (the all-time leader). LeBeau in the meantime might be the worst modern goalie in the HOF (behind Holik in all stats) as he's part of the playoff club but actually not that stand-out in the playoffs (outside of S37). But then Holik's playoff stats are so far behind everyone else that he would probably take the “crown”.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Green said:

Stats hurt my feelings, don't be mean about Lebeau :(

Your feelings? He just wrote a whole 590 calling me terrible.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

Your feelings? He just wrote a whole 590 calling me terrible.

I wouldn't say those numbers look terrible. Wins are tough to pin on a goalie, and while your save percentage isn't way up there, there are still a few HOF goalies below you and those shutout numbers are juicy. In my book Holik is a Hall of Famer.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, .sniffuM said:

I wouldn't say those numbers look terrible. Wins are tough to pin on a goalie, and while your save percentage isn't way up there, there are still a few HOF goalies below you and those shutout numbers are juicy. In my book Holik is a Hall of Famer.

What isn’t shown is Holik’s playoff numbers. If there’s a major thing holding him back it would be that.