Still learning but...

if you use photoshop, when you are scaling your render down in size, first right-click the render layer in the layer's list and select CONVERT TO SMART OBJECT. Then re-size it, and you can right-click the layer and go 'rastersize layer' if you want to like, colour adjust it or stuff like that.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, gorlab said:

if you use photoshop, when you are scaling your render down in size, first right-click the render layer in the layer's list and select CONVERT TO SMART OBJECT. Then re-size it, and you can right-click the layer and go 'rastersize layer' if you want to like, colour adjust it or stuff like that.

Just curious, why bother converting it first?

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Just curious, why bother converting it first?

Smart Object retains image quality during scaling much better than a 'rastersized' aka non-smart object image does.

It's not like, a massive major difference, but IMHO it helps... and my theory is that he either didn't smart object, OR he didn't hold shift while down-scaling the render, which caused the render face to basically lose all quality.

also...

im pretty sure he used this image as the "stock" for the render

GettyImages-1139576894_1561332707737_936

even though it's a "high res" image (1440x2560)    this is a good example of high-reso images still being "low quality".  If you open the above image in it's own tab, and "zoom in" to the face  (AKA view it in it's native resolution, not zoomed in or out at all) you can see it being sort of blurry/fuzzy just due to the camera used / distance / motion of the player or whatever (like so):

Fc3wCoT.png

whereas images like these  (which are also 1000x1000+ aka "hi res")  look a lot more HQ in the full-res.... and thus are better render choices:

usa_today_10650899.0.jpg

which look like this "close up"

DoWClp7.jpg

see how much cleaner/crisper the "lines" of his features and such look?

this is a similar example of a "high quality" hi-res photo imo:

SamReinhart_SergeiBelski_USA-Today.jpg

basically, this is just kind of a thing to look for when selecting your render.  Images like I posted above will retain better quality / look better when minimized   (and also just look better in general)

hopefully someone kind of sees what I'm putting down here. It's definitely something to consider when selecting your renders for your graphics.

Edited by gorlab

the two images I listed above, just were "taken" better, I guess.

the motion of the player in the two pictures I linked, are not causing a blurriness/fuzziness of the finer details of the render.

@gorlab really appreciate the feedback here! 

Tbh, I do all my graphic work on my iPhone  ? so I don’t have crazy features to work with. That said, you’re point about the render is absolutely spot on. I should have just grabbed a better picture to start with which would have made the cutting of the rendor that much easier as well.

When this graphic was complete, something looked missing and all I could think of was that the quality of the main rendor wasn’t high enough.

@VanCanWin when you search for an image on google use the "Tools" tab at the top and then go to "Image size" and select pictures > 2MB and most of them are pretty high quality. I usually use > 4MB though. That being said it doesnt mean they'll actually be good resolution but more likely :) 

@jack Was using a combination of like 5 different apps that all did their own things and using screenshots a lot lol but now I found an app called LightXExpress that does a lot of different things within that app while holding the image quality

Edited by VanCanWin

1 hour ago, VanCanWin said:

@jack Was using a combination of like 5 different apps that all did their own things and using screenshots a lot lol but now I found an app called LightXExpress that does a lot of different things within that app while holding the image quality

nice! I don't know if you have access to a laptop or desktop at all but if you do there's this website: https://www.photopea.com/ that has all of photoshop features but doesn't need any downloads.