Cole Mertz Retirement Press Conference

(I figure I should make at least one last in character post to let this player die off so here we go)

Shortly after announcing his retirement, Cole steps into the conference room one last time, to tie off loose ends and clear up the confusion around his shocking and overall disappointing career.

What has kept you busy while you've been away?

Do you have any regrets heading into retirement?

Any parting shots at Alexander Pepper?

What are your plans in your off time?

What is your best memory of your career?

Pepper is obviously your greatest rival, who was your greatest friend?

16 hours ago, oilmandan said:

What has kept you busy while you've been away?

Do you have any regrets heading into retirement?

Any parting shots at Alexander Pepper?

What are your plans in your off time?

What is your best memory of your career?

Pepper is obviously your greatest rival, who was your greatest friend?

1. I kind of realized I wasn’t cut out for professional goal, it kicked my ass. I went back to school and got a degree in broadcast, so maybe I’ll be some b rate announcer one day.

2. I wish I had handled the situation better. I feel like I let a lot of people down by suddenly just disappearing from the league. I think they understand though, I haven’t felt any animosity about my retirement.

3. Kids still a sieve, no amount of hardware could fix that five hole.

4. Hopefully get into the industry I went to school for, maybe come back to the league and broadcast for them. I wouldn’t mind hosting a show for the VHL.

5. Definitely the season coming into the VHL draft. It was the peak of me and Peppers rivalry, our team went on a good run, just had a helluva time with the boys. Gonna miss that.

6. As much as it pains me to say it, Pepper was. Hell he still is. We give eachother a lot of shit but it’s all in good spirit. Tuning back into the league and seeing just how far he’s come was really cool to see. I’m proud of the kid.

@Sonnet got some sappy bullshit for ya

1. If you could change one thing about your career what would it be?

2. Do you feel sad about retiring?

3. What do you think your player’s legacy will be?

4. What will your character do after hockey?

5. Why do you say that your career was disappointing?

6. What do you see the future of the VHL being?

7. What do you think about the league changes since you first started your career?

8. Do you think that goalie is the toughest position in the VHL?

9. What advice would you give to new players coming into the league?

10. Who do you think is the best goalie in the VHL today?

10 hours ago, StamkosFan said:

1. If you could change one thing about your career what would it be?

2. Do you feel sad about retiring?

3. What do you think your player’s legacy will be?

4. What will your character do after hockey?

5. Why do you say that your career was disappointing?

6. What do you see the future of the VHL being?

7. What do you think about the league changes since you first started your career?

8. Do you think that goalie is the toughest position in the VHL?

9. What advice would you give to new players coming into the league?

10. Who do you think is the best goalie in the VHL today?

1. If I had never played there wouldn’t been no expectations connected with me. I built myself up to that point where I looked like I’d push for a HOF spot (not really but I had some quik growth) and then vanished. I’d rather I didn’t have that tied to me and instead just never played.

2. I don’t necessarily feel sad, it had to happen. I just wish I had committed either entirely or not at all.

3. I think it’s fair to contribute the entirety of Pepper’s success to me. I gave him someone to prove wrong, so obviously that’s why he worked so hard to be where he is today.

4. Likely broadcast of some sort for the VHL. Retired players generally have a way of coming back around in sports.

5. I was poised as one of the best rookie goaltenders in the draft class, and maybe in recent history, and I proceeded to be the biggest bust of the S63 draft. It’s hard to not have that leave a bad taste in your mouth.

6. The VHL isn’t going anywhere anytime soon it seems like. I’m sure if anything it will continue growing and may even becoming something bigger. It’s a great community and I’m excited to see what else it holds in the future.

7. Nothing but positives, we’ve seen a lot of expansions and relocations, TPE gains seem more streamlined but maybe I just forgot what it was. VSN is interesting but i don’t know enough about it yet to make an educated statement.

8. Goalie is the toughest position in any sport. Hands down. The VHL allows goalies more opportunities to become star players in my eye but that’s just because I saw myself get to that place very quickly.

9. Have fun, at the end of the day we’re all just playing a game, enjoy it for what it is and don’t push it too hard. Just because you’re not the top TPE earner doesn’t make you a bad player, do what you want to do and be somewhat consistent and you’ll be golden.

10. Oh that’s tough, I haven’t looked around enough as of late to make a proper statement. I’ll just give it to my boy Pepper by benefit of doubt because I’ll be honest he’s impressed me with how far he’s come, especially for such a seive.

Jul 28 - Aug 4

Aug 5 - Aug 11