Oceanic Expansion Possibilities

Berocka

Oceanic Expansion Possibilities

The most recent VHLM draft took place in Sydney, now that it has been a while the Australian government released a statement that this brought an extra half a million dollars in Australian tourism making it the 3rd biggest sporting event after the Australian open and the Australian Grand Prix. This has shown the Australian government that I've hockey is an emerging sport in Australia. After all this increased popularity the Australian Institute of Sport and the Australian Ice Hockey Association have released they are going to start a league to help Australian kids to teenagers improve before the VHL. The Junior Oceanic Hockey Championship (JOHC) has been planned to provide a competitor to the VHLM where the only teams are from the USA and Canada. The JOHC will provide a way of the best hockey players from the pacific and Australia to improve their skills and prepare them for the VHL draft. This has been sponsored heavily by two VHLM stars Berocka Sundqvist and Block Buster. This is what Berocka Sundqvist had to say about it.

Berocka Sundqvist stated "It was hard to get some good practice in growing up here and I feel like my game improved significantly when I moved to Sweden. This will allow Australians, New Zealanders and other islanders to pursue their dreams here before moving to the big leagues. I will be investing heavily in the Brisbane team whenever I get the chance."

Auckland Kiwis

Jersey colours: Primary Lime Green, Secondary Brown.

Logo: This would be a picture of the Animal, I am unsure of a background.

Reasoning: Auckland is the most populated city in New Zealand and constantly gets confused as the Capital. I believe that the most popular city should have the Animal that New Zealand is most known for. This is also one of the only teams that does not have alliteration, I am a big believer that sports teams with alliteration are better sports teams.

Wellington Warriors

Jersey colours: Primary Blue, Secondary Red.

Logo: Would be a mask depicting the end of a Haka with a Maori Man with his tongue out.

Reasoning: Wellington is the Capital of New Zealand and would represent the tribe nature of the New Zealanders. The tough nature of the New Zealanders is well known around the world, especially for their Haka, the Warriors represent this and would help get the support from the locals.

Christchurch Chiefs

Jersey colours: Primary Black, Secondary Yellow

Logo: A Wahaika which is a traditional weapon of the Maori

Reasoning: Christchurch is one of the three biggest cities in New Zealand and the chiefs are a representation of the leader of each tribe in Maori culture. 

Fijian Fighters

Jersey colours:Primary Light Blue, Secondary Orange

Logo: A Fijian Cannibal fork with leaves on the top to resemble a palm tree.

Reasoning: Known for their violent past including a history of cannibalism Fijians are known for their fighting amongst clans and I think this suits the small island nation. 

Somoan Sharks

Jersey colours: Primary Dark Blue, Secondary Grey

Logo: Anything but a shark biting a hockey stick in twain

Reasoning: The Samoans are most known for their sportsmen and they take their sport seriously that they will be a serious threat. Sharks are known to be always around the islands and I believe are a good fit for this team and not just because of alliteration.

Cook Islands Cocopucks

Jersey colours: Primary Brown, Secondary White

Logo: A Brown Puck with the three coconut dots on it

Reasoning: Cook Islands are a small group of Islands that are not well known outside of the Pacific. These small islands are a great holiday destination for their great snorkelling and like most small beach islands they are known for fresh coconuts hence the pun and the alliteration making it a great team.

Tasmanian Devils

Jersey colours: Primary Red, Secondary White.

Logo: Would be an outline of tasmania with horns and a devil tail.

Reasoning: The most recognisable I believe of this list. Not just one of the Looney Tunes but is also an extremely feisty marsupial that is only found on the island of Tasmania. This could use the animal or similar to the New Jersey Devils. The logo would be on top of a silhouette of the island.

Alice Springs Heat

Jersey colours: Primary Light Blue, Secondary White

Logo: Would be cool to have Uluru on Fire

Reasoning: Alice Springs is one of the most central towns in Australia and is most known as the closest big town to Uluru or Ayers Rock. The team colours would have to be an orange or red as the main colour. 

Brisbane Bandicoots

Jersey colours: Primary Maroon, Secondary Gold

Logo: Simply just a Bandicoot from the side

Reasoning: Brisbane is a huge city for sport and the Bandicoot is one native animal that hasn’t been used by any other Brisbane teams. Being from Brisbane and a huge fan of Crash Bandicoot it wasn’t too much of a tough decision. As with most Brisbane teams I stuck with the famous colours of Maroon and Gold.

Cairns Crocodiles

Jersey colours: Primary Dark Green, Secondary Red

Logo: A crocodile half out of the water

Reasoning: The northern tip of Australia is known for all the huge saltwater Crocs made famous by the late Steve Irwin. I picked this as I wanted Queensland to have more than one team. I picked Cairns as it is a bigger city in the north of the state, also alliteration. 

Melbourne Matildas

Jersey colours: Primary Purple, Secondary Green

Logo: A Man with a Swag (Australian Swag) over his shoulder

Reasoning: Matildas was chosen as per the famous poem Waltzing Matilda, and I couldn’t figure a better alliteration for Melbourne.

Broome Emus

Jersey colours: Primary Red-Orange, Secondary Orange-Red

Logo: An Emu head

Reasoning: Broome is out in the middle of nowhere in Australia and all you can see is the red dust of the Australian outback hence the uniform choices. I mainly chose Broome for the potentials memes come playoff times with the possibilities of sweeping or being swept.

Adelaide Redbacks

Jersey colours: Primary Black, Secondary Red

Logo: A top down view of a redback

Reasoning: These animals are annoying, having to check your shoes that have been in the shed to long or anything that has stayed still for too long could potentially be home to these dangerous spiders. Another Australian animal that I think deserves a team in the JOHC.

Newcastle Numbats

Jersey colours: Primary Silver, Secondary Pink

Logo: A front on picture of a Numbats face

Reasoning: Newcastle adds an extra team along the east coast between the Brisbane and the Sydney team. I only really picked Numbats as I wanted a Newcastle team but couldn’t think of better alliteration for Newcastle.

Sydney Magpies

Jersey colours: Primary Black, Secondary White

Logo: A Magpie

Reasoning: These birds are peaceful birds for ¾ of the year but come Spring they turn into one of the most annoying animals in Australia. A whole three months of either keeping your head on a swivel or wearing a helmet with Googly eyes on the back and zip ties sticking out of it. This animal is just as annoying as anyone who is from Sydney. Enough Said.

Darwin Dingos

Jersey colours: Primary Coral, Secondary Teal

Logo: A Dingo

Reasoning: Darwin is a big lot of nothing in the north of the country. Dingos are pretty big in Australia and it had alliteration so that is the main reason that it was choosen. 

Exhibition Match

Also another way of promoting the sport to the far reaches of Australia and New Zealand there would also be an exhibition tournament between the Australian Kangaroos and the New Zealand Cold Blacks, which will be a 5 stage tournament around smaller regional towns to help promote the sport. One year in Australia then the next in New Zealand.

Australian Kangaroos

Jersey colours: Green and Gold

Logo: A green puck with the Southern Cross with gold stars

Reasoning: An Australian team would be comprised of the top prospects of all Australian Born players no matter where they are playing. Of course as per every Australian sports team they would be playing in the green and gold.

New Zealand Cold Blacks

Jersey colours: Black and White

Logo: A black puck with a white fern

Reasoning: A New Zealand team would be comprised of the top prospects of all New Zealand Born players no matter where they are playing. As most New Zealand teams use a variation of the All Blacks the Cold Blacks seems to be a good compromise.

Hopefully the higher ups over in the VHL will listen to the new council of the JOHC. The ability to expand the VHL and help it become a worldwide organisation. This would also help Team World in the WJC be more competitive without the need to grab the leftovers from the USA and Canada. It also adds the ability to have a team Oceanic in the World competition. If there are any suggestions for the JOHC please contact berocka@johc.com.au or comment here.

• 2 weeks later...