I've never won a cup in my 8th season

Victor

• Admin

So I'm going into the 8th season of a player again. The end and eternal darkness is looming once more. Honestly I didn't think I'd be here for another 8th season after retiring Clegane in S52 but not only am I here with Cast, I still have another 7 seasons of Pavlov to go. And then, who knows.

Now I can have few complaints about my return on investment in the VHL. Podrick Cast is my 6th player and most likely my 5th Hall of Famer. However, one thing that seems to haunt with my careers is a sense of anti-climax... I've never had a truly successful 8th season, despite it in theory being the likeliest to be so (what with fighting off depreciation and then not having to bank throughout the season). In fact, I have a won a Continental Cup in every single season of my players' careers, except my 8th:

Season

Trikamaki

Berger

Chershenko

Bentley

Clegane

Cast

1st

Cup

2nd

Cup

Cup

Cup

3rd

Cup

Cup

4th

Cup

Cup

Cup

5th

Cup

6th

Cup

7th

Cup

8th

Two players missed the playoffs entirely - Berger and Clegane having very meh final seasons. Trikamaki and Bentley went out in the first round despite being on the favoured teams to win. My boy Chershenko came closest, being regular season and playoff MVP, but losing in Game 7 overtime in the finals. Was that the one chance? Who knows.

Will S68 be the one? For the second straight season, my two players will be on the same team. Moscow is in theory stronger than last year and this was the season I had in mind when the Cast/Randoms trade was made. But there's more contenders than ever before and the European Conference in particular is very tough. Cast has an equal chance of ending his career hoisting the cup or watching the playoffs from the couch. But maybe it'll be 6th time lucky....

• Commissioner

Wow, something I’ve done that @Victor hasn’t. Mind you I say that as just a “last season cup” because I don’t recall if Miller’s last season was actually his 8th. I have career ending cups with Beketov and Miller for sure but I know Bek only went 6 seasons.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Wow, something I’ve done that @Victor hasn’t. Mind you I say that as just a “last season cup” because I don’t recall if Miller’s last season was actually his 8th. I have career ending cups with Beketov and Miller for sure but I know Bek only went 6 seasons.

From memory Miller was 7th season too, but I do mean retiring with a cup rather than ending 8th with a cup. It's just for me 8th and final season are the same.

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Victor said:

From memory Miller was 7th season too, but I do mean retiring with a cup rather than ending 8th with a cup. It's just for me 8th and final season are the same.

So I’ve got a winning record of it and you don’t. Perhaps it is time Cast and Thompson finally join forces? ? 

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

look a blue and a gm tampering. nothing will be done since its a blue tho.

whole season pt ban imo for Thompson

Literally any team can pick me up right now so me saying that is less tampering or more just saying I’m a FA which everyone already knows. Vic’s response was quite perfect for the situation.

Also, as if a PT ban would stop Thompson :P I’ve already fought depreciation so it would only stop me from improving more and I’d be staying at the level I’ve been for 3 seasons.