S68 VSN Daily Report: 9/14 and 9/15 edition

Matt_O

The VHL and VHLM season is underway! This is a new series that will be posted everyday during the season, with a run through of that day's sims, and other news. Today will be a combined edition of 9/14 and 9/15.

Sims

The new season is finally here! However, it started in strange fashion. After @VHL Games decided not to post the games, good guy @GustavMattias posted Games 1-20 for both the VHL and VHLM. Calgary and Moscow have started strong, both tallying five wins already. Calgary's biggest win came against the Vancouver wolves, where they won 4-3 thanks to Joel Ylonen's 4 point night. Moscow beat Calgary later that day in a 2-1 victory thanks to Owen May's standout performance.

The two expansion teams didn't get off to a great start. The two teams have a combined one win, with Prague defeating the Reign 3-1 in their first ever game. 

The most notable individual performance came from the reigning MVP Rauno Palo, when he dropped five points against DC. It was a great game for the entire Wolves team, as they won 6-0 that game.

Matt Thompson, who made a big move by signing with the Nighthawks, has exploded onto the scene. His goal of reaching the 400 goal plateau looks like a very achievable goal, especially after his hot start to the year, with five goals in six games.

VHLM Sims

We start with controversy in the VHLM world. Self proclaimed S+ tier clown @Matt_O, who also serves as the Vegas GM, had Bruce Grimaldi playing in the first five games of the season, despite him being called up to the VHL. He insists it was not done purposefully, and it was a misunderstanding. He had this to say about himself:

"I did not leave Grimaldi in net purposefully. When I made lines, they were sent in before he was called up. After he got called up, I thought he would be automatically removed from the index, but I was wrong. This morning I sent in new lines, but the new sims had already been posted."

Some GM's are unhappy about this. @Nykonax and @GustavMattias called for his head.

"You filthy lying cheater! Should be fired"

-Gustav, Hounds GM

"You cheaters win?"

-Nyko, Kings GM

Enough about the Aces, lets look at the Bulls! The only team left that hasn't lost a game, their spectacular start has been propelled by Soren Jensen's nine points, and Sean McGee's elite play in net. Trailing right behind them are the Kings, who have only lost one game, which was too the Bulls. 

The Reapers on the other hand, have not been looking good. After a really good draft, some thought they could compete for another title. After Fang Flashback was called up to the VHL, they are left with young goaltender Mark Davis, who hasn't been good. His 0.786 Save Percentage and 4.62 GAA has really held the Reapers back. 

Who should you take in Fantasy?

With VHL Fantasy underway, most drafts are into rounds three and four. Who should you eye in those rounds? Well, I have a couple of  players that you may want to take a look at.

Jerry Garcia- D, Malmo Nighthawks

Last year, Garcia had 40 points, a respectable total. He also finished with 130 hits and 163 blocked shots, a total good enough for second in the VHL that year. His 203 Fantasy Points last year is a great D2 total. Last year, Joseph McWolf had 245 points, and he is one of the best, if not the best, defenseman in the game. I expect improvement from Garcia in the points and hits column, and he could he would be a great pickup to fill out your defense.

John Madden- F, HC Davos Dynamo

Madden has started the year off very well, with 10 points in his first six games. Last year he had 66 points, but he has improved in every year of his career. Fantasy owners must hope he continues to buck that trend for him to be a viable option. His hits are underwhelming, but his blocked shots are pretty nice. Lets look at Matt Thompson, who has won many Scott Boulet Trophies. Besides his first two seasons, he has failed to hit 50 blocked shots since then. Madden had 57 blocked shots in his rookie year, and 34 in S67. Both are very good totals for a forward. I could definitely see an 80 point campaign in the works for Madden.

Thats it for today's 9/14 and 9/15 round up, I'm your host Matt O, and we will see you tomorrow.

Edited by Matt_O