The Music of the VHL #9

Mr_Hatter

The Music of the VHL
By A. Simon-Cowell-Type

Part 9

Welcome back to another edition of The Music of the VHL! Last week we took a look at a team that is on the brink of a rebuild in the Calgary Wranglers. Now, let’s switch continents, and go to another franchise with extensive VHL history, the Riga Reign.

Riga Reign @hedgehog337
Over & Over, by Reignwolf

Hailing from Latvia, the Riga Reign are another team with high expectations. But with their last win coming in S63, and many of their core approaching their later seasons, including imminent retiree in core centerman Rauno Palo, there are some questions about “if not now, then when?”

Let us be clear, Riga is by no means out of competition when Palo, as well as Kastelic and Kriketers, retire. However, the age of their core pieces does imply that they should be competing soon. Looking ahead to their future drafts however, they are relatively even in the S70 draft with a 1st, 2nd, and two 4ths, and hold a significant portion of the first two rounds of the S71 draft. 

As such, we have picked a song from Canadian rockers Reignwolf to depict the Reign this week. In fact, fans of the series may recognize Reignwolf as the first repeat artist in the series, last appearing the The Music of the VHLM Part 3, representing their city of Saskatoon. The lyrics “Over and over again” pose the question of Riga: if they are going to continue to draft reasonably well, but simply maintain their stock, never assembling the perfect group needed to take the cup, then how long will it be until they are once again holders of the Continental Cup? Will they continue as perennial challengers, never quite ascending to the upper echelon of the league, or will they break through the malaise and win the whole thing? Let’s find out, as the S69 season begins now!

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned next week for more coverage!

Edited by Mr_Hatter

Love this concept!  Shows a lot of effort too to come up with an appropriate pairing of music and team on top of very good, clear writing.  Like the balance of analysis of old core and how they are doing in draft.  Unfortunately, musical taste is so far outside my own that I couldn't make it through the whole video.  I'm old and have old "classic rock" tastes.  lol

Edited by KC15

30 minutes ago, KC15 said:

Unfortunately, musical taste is so far outside my own that I couldn't make it through the whole video.  I'm old and have old "classic rock" tastes.  lol

I try and have a lot of different genres, but most end up surrounding the overall rock/alternative genre :) some of the earlier ones (such as VHL #1, Back in the USSR by the Beatles, or some Jimi Hendrix (VHL #6)) might be a little more your style! What kind of artists are you talking?

Edited by Mr_Hatter