The First of Many [1/2]

Spaz

download.jpeg.f1ff8cf23754ebbd3c1e6e1c1fc0edfc.jpeg

Getting that first goal, it could be the first of many it brings the thrill and relief that you need to start your career, it's something you want to get out of your way as soon as possible so you don't have that weight going into every game wondering when and how you're going to get and score your first goal, and it could come the first time you step on to the ice or it could come at the end of the season, you're not guaranteed to walk out on that ice and score your first game and we all understand that but it still make us want to, it gives us confidence for the next game.

For me I didn't score my first game in fact we were shutout 3-0 and I would start my career off +/- -3 with no shots on net it brought me back to reality and showed me this wasn't going to be a walk in the park. It wouldn't be exactly my first time finding the back of the net in all honesty I would get the chance in a 2-1 shootout win against the Houston Bulls as, we would tie the game late in the third, I would get to shoot first as I made it count and with the Bulls missing the net on their first opportunity and the stud Jimmy Spyro saving it on their second opportunity to let Rice end it, as exciting as, it is to be able to contribute in a big game like that it's not the same feeling as scoring your first one. After that game I would continue the struggling start of my career and would have a hard time finding the net as seven of my shots would be blocked, and I wouldn't be able to and wouldn't put a shot on net till my twelfth game having a +/- -1 and having 10 hits on the season but I didn't have to wait long.

I can sit here and say I could feel myself scoring, it was going to be my day, nothing was going to stop me, but in all honesty it felt like a regular day, I went through my daily routines, ate a simple breakfast of cereal and milk like I do every morning, and then when I left the hotel and got to the ice for warmups I was just focused on winning and playing better defensively but little did I know I was about to do something for the first time in my career in the VHLM. Three games after my first shot it was the fifteenth game of my career and I go into this game with 2 shots 12 hits and a +/- +1 against the Halifax 21rsts. Early first period game still tied at 0 Halifax's McDrai NugentHopkins would head to the box at 3:35 for a hooking call and coach would have the second line power play to start the game that way he could let the first line get some rest for when he needs them in the second game so, Jimmy Frost wins the face off back to Finnegan Macburn he would take a shot to have it blocked by Dylan Carpenter but he wouldn't be able to control it as it would bounce to my stick leaving a wide open net and I would put her home giving us a 1-0 lead, I almost didn't believe it till the team surrounded me to celebrate and then when I got the puck at the bench, I'm still in a little bit of shock, we would eventually fall behind 2-1 in the second to eventually score two unanswered in the third by Will Clarke and who else but Pat Tallindier to win the game 3-2.

I'm excited to get that first one out of the way, and now I need to focus on the rest of the season and contributing more for the team whether that's playing good defensively, and/or getting more goals, and assists, now that this chapter is done in my career it's time to continue to focus on making the playoffs. It's a good short lived excitement but it just makes me more determined of what there is to come, and hope you guys enjoyed this story I know it wasn't anything jaw dropping, but you only get one chance to score your first.

Review:

Great way to start off a VHL Career - with hope and then tempered expectations. This was a great read, the grammar was solid, even had a picture (which I would center tbh). It had some nice play-by-plays and was a good glimpse into Spaz's head. I hope to see more of you around the boards and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. I'm an old VHL geezer and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Great work @Spaz :cheers:

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Review:

Great way to start off a VHL Career - with hope and then tempered expectations. This was a great read, the grammar was solid, even had a picture (which I would center tbh). It had some nice play-by-plays and was a good glimpse into Spaz's head. I hope to see more of you around the boards and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. I'm an old VHL geezer and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Great work @Spaz :cheers:

Thank you I'll keep that in mind