Unsung Goalie

Cxsquared

gqlUFJ0.png&key=9a0e300261bb052414018e0d

@efiug

When I first heard the theme this week was “Unsung Heros” I wasn’t sure who I’d write about. This is only my second season here so I don’t have a large history to call upon. My initial thoughts were either Gustav or Berocka but I feel both of their accomplishments and contributions to the league are pretty well known. I then went back into my first season in the VHLM. I looked at a few players but most of them already had articles written about them. Then I finally thought about who I should write about. I chose a player who doesn’t have the most TPE and probably doesn’t make the biggest impact on the teams they’ve been on but has been a great active individual in every discord I’ve shared with them. This player is Nicolas Fomba @efuig.

In just 2 seasons, Fomba has played for 3 different VHLM teams in 3 different countries and was drafted to a 4th different country in the VHL. I’ve shared 3 out of those 4 locker rooms with them and they’ve always been great to be around. Even though they’ve been passed around a bunch, this French goalie has always been a slow but consistent TPE earner. Let’s take a look at the places they’ve played.

:mis:

They started in season 68 where they joined the Hounds. This is where I first met Fomba. They seemed like a decent backup goalie. What really stood out to me was their locker room presence. This will become a common theme the more I see Fomba. During their time with the Hounds they put up an impressive 7-3-1 record with a 0.812 save%. Then all of a sudden the Hounds goalie situation got switched up and Fomba ended up getting traded to the Marlins.

:sdm:

While Fomba was in the Marlins I didn’t pay too much attention to their career. However, Fomba stayed active in the Hounds locker room which I really enjoyed. They always had something good to add to the conversation. The Marlins turned out to be a great place for Fomba going 19-9-0. They even beat the Hounds at least once. Overall they’d end season 68 with 26-12-1 record and a 0.852 save%. They ended up being 5th overall in wins and had the highest penalty save% in the league.

:mck:

When S69 rolled around Fomba was eligible to be drafted. I had become the AGM of Mexico City and knew Fomba would be a solid goalie pick. While they haven’t shined in the TPE department they’ve put up solid numbers. So far they’ve helped mexico go 44-13-5. More importantly they’ve helped revitalize a small Mexico City locker room. I’m so excited to have them in Mexico next season because they help engage new players and keep the locker room alive.

:rig:

They were also drafted to Riga in season 69. Luckily enough, this is also where I was drafted. Even though Fomba is still in the VHLM they pop in to the Riga locker room and it’s always fun when they do. I’m not sure if we’ll ever see Fomba play for Riga but I’m glad they are in the locker room.

Fomba is proof you don’t have to be the best TPE earner or best player to make an impact. They’ve been a wonderful asset in both the Hounds and Mexico City locker rooms and I’m glad I get to be apart of that. Nicolas Fomba is my VHL Unsung Hero.

9 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Dollar should stop earning TPE for a bit.

...you know, for the sake of retention and all that.

Not like you have the picks to pick him up.