Campbell's Corner #7

Banackock

GFg34Sz.png?width=930%26height=372&key=6

Edition #7: CHRISTMAS EDITION - MERRY CHRISTMAS! HO HO HO!

Hello VHL. It feels like forever since I've done one of these and we're once again back to the struggle being somewhat real. I'm busy at work, the league is firing on all cylinders and it's the holiday season! The streets are crazy, the stores are chaotic and the people are double whatever else you can come up with. They're insane. People literally go crazy this time of year. Special advisory: unless you have to, do not go outside. Kidding. It's not that bad really. It's a beautiful time of year. Echoing it's a busy time of year. Doubling down on being tired and the struggle being extremely real but here I am still finding a way to chug it out and make it happen. I think we could say the same thing about the VHL many, many seasons ago. Now, look at us! We're flying high baby and things are getting better and better and better. The league is growing fast, the teams are growing full and I think with each season that goes by the league is also getting... BETTER!

image.png.6ede24b9318a6153a21029c6505b81ba.png

The season just came to an end a few days ago and we have our final results. I'm not overly shocked by how things went and I think there were a lot of close, top-notch battles that could of went one way or another but just happened to play out how they did in the regular season. This season, looking at the standings, you notice how strong the league is becoming. Look at how many great teams there are. Vancouver takes the cake and Riga takes the leftover with 103 and 98 points to top off the league. Davos, DC, Prague and Calgary are the bottom 4 teams and I don't think this surprises many people. In fact, that's I think almost how people would have the order going except maybe DC being higher than Prague? I don't know. They're close. They each different. The teams in the middle are also very interesting and the middle is made of amazing teams just like the top. I think playoffs this year are going to be the most talented, skilled playoffs we've ever seen. It's going to be a bloodbath and the champion is almost going to "earn it" with his scars each time he finds a way to limp out of a series (or triumphantly gallop - who knows with STHS?).

Another thing that really surprised me was how much the player’s total points amount really dropped. I think I remember seeing that Julian Borwinn won it this season and was at something like 93 points. Didn't even crack 100 points this season and I'm unsure that's ever happened in the league before. I also think I seen something on that possibly from Victor, but am unsure. Still, looking at this season and how it turned out - it's weird. I remember Flyers mentioning the scoring is following similar trait and saying we could be in the early 80's I think. I'd take a stab and say we're closer to modern-day NHL maybe than we think subtract the team amounts etc. Maybe not quite there but in the transition phase. Either way, super weird season that got me thinking and comparing. Will be interesting to see what next season is going to be like. Something tells me a lot of players are going to be having stronger, more "turnaround" like seasons that will surely get their VHL souls pumping.

IgnorantSoreHorsemouse-size_restricted.g

CHRISTMAS. IT'S CHRISTMAS! WOO! Man, I love Christmas. The snow is shit because it's slippery as fuck but it's beautiful. The cold sucks ass. I could do without the cold but you can't have one and leave the other. Both or none. I mean, hasn't really been all that cold this year anyway yet. One cold week maybe. Then you got the music that's super festive, all the stores and towns and whatnot are decorating with figurines and lights and Santa and yeah. Everything becomes cheery and bright and festive and people almost just seem to be more polite and joyful. At least this is what I notice. Christmas is awesome. I love it for the simple things like I love decorating my house. Our house on the inside is super elegant and I dig it. We go balls out. Speaking of my love for simple things at Christmas time, how about the act of giving away? Like the VHL's Christmas Extravaganza? Pretty sweet that they're giving away 12 days of Christmas and then a wicked raffle/prize at the end of things. What about that other thing? What was it? Oh, right. Yours truly got to thinking and posted an idea in the BoG proposing the VHL get into the charity business. Sure as shit, it took off and here we are. I don't know what the total is at but it's something crazy that no one thought we'd reach. 3 hours into the counting and I think we busted the $200 milestone within 3 hours. That was without the $200 that the VHL agreed and mentioned they would match (which was the max). Then, boom. The number skyrocketed. Climbed like a mother fucker. I was checking it at work. I was showing my girlfriend. I even told my crew at work. It's amazing man that something so silly and whatever on the internet, a group of awesome people on something that could be considered so small to others, came together and did something so big. It's awesome to see.

There were big numbers and small numbers but those weren't the ones that mattered to me. It was just the simple "yeah, I donated". Doesn't matter the amount. Everything is appreciated and all should be celebrated for their amazing gestures and warmth at the holiday season when others may be struggling to have certain things like a roof over their head or food in their bellies. For us, it was the Make a Wish Foundation and what an amazing cause it would be. Again, for me, it didn't matter. the BoG mentioned it and I said SURE! We're making somebody or multiple lives better by doing something so small. All of us came together and with that, it really created something massive. I hope we continue this amazing thing year after year for the Christmas time. I hope we come back more organized and evolved with it. I hope that other sim leagues like the SHL, GOMHL, PBE, EFL and SBA see how amazing the members within the VHL are and just how strong and true this community can really be when it needs to be. This holiday season assured me that while we've had some very, very minor bumps in the rearview mirror, that those very few who whisper negatives are wrong. That the VHL is even better than I thought it would be, could be or was. I am proud to be a part of the VHL.

Finally, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who made donations to this year through the VHL Charity Drive thingy. It's been super awesome to see everyone come together and get super pumped and passionate about something like this. Again, I echo, it shows how great the league is, how strong our leaders are and how amazing our members are. Thank you for making the VHL great. I hope Santa is good to you all this year. If you do not believe in Santa, I hope Bill Cosby is good to you. MERRY CHRISTMAS! BEST WISHES THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.

Executive President of the VSN 

Bana

15 hours ago, Banackock said:

Is your player good yet Fizz?

What does that have anything to do with Hanukkah also the answer to that is no because I’ve put no effort so I don’t care this player was just a bounce back and probably my last until 3 seasons later