Toronto selects Merrick at five, stuns commentator covering the draft.

Peace

TORONTO, ONTARIO -- The Legion have selected their guy, even signed him to a rookie contract before the conclusion of the entry draft, and the skipper couldn't be happier with the Legions' newest prospect. Even though he'll be staying in the minors for a season, unfortunately consuming one of his eight eligible seasons in the Victory Hockey League, it means that Merrick will be in a position to challenge for the top rookie award when he does break into the big leagues. GM Peace took to the podium and stunned the hockey world when he picked John Merrick at fifth overall, even coming to the surprise of a commentator of the leagues coverage of the Entry Draft. 

"Merrick went fifth? That's actually a big surprise to me," the commentator said. "There's still [Pines] on the board, who I feel is a stellar first gen pick." 

"We liked what we heard," GM Peace admitted. "We sent out pre-draft interviews to a select dozen prospects, and we felt Merrick fit our team the best based on the situation we've found ourselves in." 

The Toronto Legion have 14, 000, 000 in cap space, and are hoping to capitalize that in free agency. 

"There are things we'd like to do, certainly, that I feel we've got the cap space to accomplish. Merrick deciding to stay down is both beneficial to himself, as he gets another year of development and will join the Legion stronger, and we benefit from an extra three million in cap space for free agents." 

Welcome to Toronto, Merrick!